• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

Another reason why Transformer/GI Joe comics didn't get the bump is that they were both already established properties as cartoons and toy lines before the comics came out, instead of the other way around.

This isn't so, though.

I think you are correct in that people believe this to be true, which keeps the price down, but in fact both comics appeared before the cartoons and simultaneously with the toys.

The first animated G.I. Joe bit was a TV commercial advertising Marvel's G.I. Joe #1. The commercials and the comic book were so popular, they developed a full length cartoon. The comic book actually came first and directly led to the cartoon.

G.I Joe #1 - cover date June, 1982 (on sale date March, 1982)

first G.I. Joe cartoon mini-series - air date September 12, 1983

Further, all the characters and mythology for the toy line - and by extension, the cartoon and everything else that followed - were initially developed by Marvel and Larry Hama in particular as part of their deal with Hasbro.

And it's an identical story with Transformers. The success of G.I. Joe prompted Hasbro to hire Marvel to handle the Transformers line as well. Marvel developed the characters and mythology for the toy line, with the work being done by Bob Budiansky. They also co-produced the cartoon.

Transformers #1 had a cover date of September, 1984. This was done to coincide with the release of the first episode of the Transformers cartoon, which aired on September 17, 1984.

However, due to the practice at the time of dating the covers several months in advance in order to make sure they stayed on the stands for a long time, the on sale date for Transformers #1 was actually May 29, 1984.

The #1 issues of both G.I. Joe and Transformers are the first appearance in pop culture of both properties. I suspect they should probably both be worth quite a bit more.

Another reason why Transformer/GI Joe comics didn't get the bump is that they were both already established properties as cartoons and toy lines before the comics came out, instead of the other way around.

Then how about...

I am down with ROM. I think Bendis has mentioned an affinity for him as well. First cover is frank Miller as well?

1 is a little harder to find discounted but there's lots of em out there. Like Byrne X-Men, I would take the time to find em raw at a convention.

Conan1_zpsaafca63f.jpg

Always loved Conan #1,should be worth much more than it is.

Hey Oakman!

Back in the early seventies in New York every dealer had a mint Conan #1 for sale for $20. It was clearly a book that was piled up in dealer stock from the day it came off the press. The supply probably suppresses the price.

In 1984, I was considering changing my shop into a Heroes World franchise. While touring the Heroes World HQ in Morristown, I was shown a pallet of Conan #1s. They were still in the original distribution bands and many were shelf-worn, but there must have been a few thousand Mint copies in the middle of the stacks.

Ivan said they were his kids college fund. I often wonder if they were included in the sale to Marvel. I'd hate to think they ended up in a vault on one of Ron Perlmans estates.

Also the dire wraiths have now been revealed to be Inhumans.

I keep thinking that by staying out of the Modern forum, I won't have to continually read this idiotic Modern retcon :censored:, but no...

dont really know what you mean? It was a cool FF story that was bringing old continuity into the newer stories. Written in the Hickman arc.

1 is a little harder to find discounted but there's lots of em out there. Like Byrne X-Men, I would take the time to find em raw at a convention.

Conan1_zpsaafca63f.jpg

Always loved Conan #1,should be worth much more than it is.

Hey Oakman!

Back in the early seventies in New York every dealer had a mint Conan #1 for sale for $20. It was clearly a book that was piled up in dealer stock from the day it came off the press. The supply probably suppresses the price.

In 1984, I was considering changing my shop into a Heroes World franchise. While touring the Heroes World HQ in Morristown, I was shown a pallet of Conan #1s. They were still in the original distribution bands and many were shelf-worn, but there must have been a few thousand Mint copies in the middle of the stacks.

Ivan said they were his kids college fund. I often wonder if they were included in the sale to Marvel. I'd hate to think they ended up in a vault on one of Ron Perlmans estates.

People need to give that some thought when it comes to Bronze. There was some serious speculating going on back east with these books.

dont really know what you mean?

I wasn't being clear about there being TOO MUCH RETCONNING GOING ON WITH STUPID MODERNS? (shrug)

If I wake up tomorrow and find some brainless Modern hack has decided that a) Hawkeye is the son of Galactus, b) Gwen Stacy is alive and ho'ing herself out to the Guardians of the Galaxy, and c) Thanos is a skrull wearing purple make-up, it will not surprise me in the least.

These have no imagination, and don't want to actually create anything new, just tie in some decades-old story to the latest epic they crapped out last night.

I wasn't being clear about there being TOO MUCH RETCONNING GOING ON WITH STUPID MODERNS? (shrug)

If I wake up tomorrow and find some brainless Modern hack has decided that a) Hawkeye is the son of Galactus, b) Gwen Stacy is alive and ho'ing herself out to the Guardians of the Galaxy, and c) Thanos is a skrull wearing purple make-up, it will not surprise me in the least.

These have no imagination, and don't want to actually create anything new, just tie in some decades-old story to the latest epic they crapped out last night.

You could save yourself an awful lot of typing if you would simply cut and paste

GET OFF OF MY LAWN every post.

How can you not know what you sound like.

I get it. I was just saying that rom #1 was not a throw away book as some where saying. The Dire wraths are evil creatures and influenced my reading when I was younger. I did really like the Hickman FF run and it seems like a lot of marvel writters are trying to grab bits and pieces of the rom story. There is a lot of controversy over the future rights of this character , it also seems like marvel keeps re-writting the story without mentioning him. As far as a bronze speculation thread rom is not a throw away.

How can you not know what you sound like.

Wow, you don't get it do you? It's just the OPPOSITE, and rather than continually catering to the "aging nerd fanboys" by rewriting and retconning old SA/BA stories, I would rather see Modern hacks actually (gasp) doing something new, rather than retreading the worn tires of decades-old stories.

Get it? The old guy on the lawn is yelling "Give me more retcons and revamps about my beloved SA/BA/CA stories, NEW material scares me!!" :preach:

I get it. I was just saying that rom #1 was not a throw away book as some where saying. The Dire wraths are evil creatures and influenced my reading when I was younger. I did really like the Hickman FF run and it seems like a lot of marvel writters are trying to grab bits and pieces of the rom story. There is a lot of controversy over the future rights of this character , it also seems like marvel keeps re-writting the story without mentioning him. As far as a bronze speculation thread rom is not a throw away.

This. This is exactly what makes comic collecting so much fun. (thumbs u

When I was in college, fellow collectors were few and far between in my school, but there were a couple. To my chagrin, Rom was quite popular with them. Conan was a distant second.

Hey, ROM has inspired at least one blog: http://romspaceknightart.blogspot.com/.

A Blog For Rom Fans Who Aren't !