• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2013 - Results

161 posts in this topic

Well, I pretty much got snubbed, as I expected. Thanks, folks. You sure make doing this feel worthwhile. :sick:

The reality is that when you have only 3 votes per category, the marquee pieces will always draw the lion's share of the votes when they get included in the respective categories (Ditko Spidey, Killing Joke, DKR, etc). No way around it. It's the way it has always been and the way it always will be under the current rules. I'm fine with it but for those that aren't one possible proposal may be to split each category into 2 or 3 sections ie. <$5k and $5-10k and >$10k and have one vote per section.

I dont care to participate, but that's a really good suggestion. Maybe an open category and then tiers by purchase price. Public sales only and no trades.

Otherwise it's just a matter of who can spend the most money and that's discouraging for the majority of participants

Well, I pretty much got snubbed, as I expected. Thanks, folks. You sure make doing this feel worthwhile. :sick:

The reality is that when you have only 3 votes per category, the marquee pieces will always draw the lion's share of the votes when they get included in the respective categories (Ditko Spidey, Killing Joke, DKR, etc). No way around it. It's the way it has always been and the way it always will be under the current rules. I'm fine with it but for those that aren't one possible proposal may be to split each category into 2 or 3 sections ie. <$5k and $5-10k and >$10k and have one vote per section.

I dont care to participate, but that's a really good suggestion. Maybe an open category and then tiers by purchase price. Public sales only and no trades.

Otherwise it's just a matter of who can spend the most money and that's discouraging for the majority of participants

I doubt we'll ever see categories broken down by price. Participation will decrease if it has to be public sale only. 2c

I already don't vote, but it's fun to see what you guys post every year.

well there's got to be some evening of the playing field whether its by dollars or some other method otherwise its all rather pointless. :) IMHO as an observer on the sidelines anyways.

You say participation would decrease I say it would increase if you level the playing field - maybe dollars isn't the way to go but I'm not sure what else is both objective and verifiable.

well there's got to be some evening of the playing field whether its by dollars or some other method otherwise its all rather pointless. :) IMHO as an observer on the sidelines anyways.

You say participation would decrease I say it would increase if you level the playing field - maybe dollars isn't the way to go but I'm not sure what else is both objective and verifiable.

Just give people more votes (to 5 from 3), that is the simplest solution.

Malvin

Lots of people do it. At least once a month I get emails from people asking me to comment on their gallery.

I also have a friend who's taken down and re-uploaded his collection 3 times over the years in order to get new comments on the pieces. And yes, he asks me to comment again on the pieces he knows I like.

:screwy:

:screwy::boo::screwy: because a +1 just didn't seem strong enough!

As far as the Lowry is concerned, there's no accounting for the varied tastes of so many collectors out there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I was pleasantly surprised to get a few votes for some of my pieces and overall I thought it was just a fun way to review my pieces from last year and to see those pieces that I may have missed when they were originally posted.

Just give people more votes (to 5 from 3), that is the simplest solution.

Malvin

I would rather have no votes than increase it to 5. I enter to play as well, and I would rather get a real vote than get sympathy votes. Win, place, show. Gold, silver, bronze. Keep the votes meaningful. I am also in favor of keeping it consistent with how it has been done. Like I said, it people don;t like getting no votes,I would be more in favor of eliminating voting and just making it a showcase. If we get 5 votes each most stuff that gets no votes will continue to get no votes I would think as the most voted on pieces will just get more votes.But then we will make it 10 votes each maybe.

As others have said, I make my own rules for voting as well. I don;t vote for panels page sin pinups/splashes. And I don't vote for convention sketches that look like they were not done at a show.

If you are upset about getting no votes, you should change how you view participation. (Or buy better art! :jokealert: ) I would trade my 4 vote Colan splash for a few things that got less votes. But that makes sense to me as some of those pieces are better than mine I think, even if they got less votes. I spent more money on one piece than ever before last year - I knew it wouldn't get a vote and it didn't - that doesn't make my 4 vote piece better. But I put that piece in there proudly, and would again even though it didn't stand a chance in a competition. But in a review, it looks darn nice!

All I know is that 3 of my commissions got votes and that's never happened.

5 Alex Johnson Mutts by Patrick McDonnell

3 Alex Johnson Donald Duck vs. Howard the Duck in "Loser Wears Pants" by Frank Brunner

1 Alex Johnson Harry Potter and his Dead by Colleen Doran

I like sharing what I have obtained over the year and it's nice to know that others enjoy it too.

McDonnell,%20Patrick%20(pen%20and%20ink)%20and%20Laura%20Martin%20(color)%201200dpi%20-%20Mutts.jpgMZ1ptoro_2712131031561.jpgDoran,%20Colleen%20-%20Harry%20Potter%20and%20his%20dead.jpg

I do the Best of every year to give everyone a chance to share the pieces they acquired in the past year that they liked the best. This gives many a chance to see pieces they may have missed since the CAF gets 10s of thousands of pieces posted every year.

I always select pieces from my collection that are my favorite not if they will get votes or not. I do get surprise when some pieces get more votes than other. My AXA The Byte is such an obscure character and the commission was so different I was surprised I received some votes. In the end its just fun to share and see what people received over the year.

I think it's an awful idea to be collecting art for pats on the back. Via the internet.

I don't collect for pats on the back, individual_without_enough_empathy! But taking the time to do the "best of" is. Keep getting snubbed and it really seems to be a wasted effort. But you just keep chirping, like you know what you are talking about.

I don't care enough to jump into this, but the key thing from your original post which made me drop the reply was that you expected to get snubbed. I'm assuming it's because A: you think the voting is inherently unfair, or B: you've had some bad experience in the past that sort of shifted your thoughts on how this year would turn out.

So why enter? It's supposed to be a stupid, fun internet thing, where we take a step back and look at some of the cool and beautiful art people picked up in the past year. That's all. Is it a popularity contest to a degree? I don't think so; even if it were, who cares? The best we can do is either over-regulate it and add rules and guidelines to the point that it isn't fun anymore, or just give everyone an award.