• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2013 - Results

161 posts in this topic

It's just fun to see that some people like some of the stuff you bought. You don't have to win to be a winner.

So I'll ask what, to me, is the obvious question then..

What if you get no votes year after year. Does that mean that no one appreciates what you bought?

I'm not even looking at this from aspects of "winner", but more from all those pages that go without votes and don't get any type of recognition.

I've been giving this some thought, and I know we have the "views" and "comments" section for art; with the Lowry being one of votes. What about incorporating some sort of "like" button? Sort of along the lines of Facebook and Instagram?

What I keep hearing from everyone is that they like the voting aspect. I also hear that there were other pages that people would have voted on, but they were limited to three votes and had to be selective in what they put them towards. I'm not sure the answer of upping the number of votes would change things, as I doubt the majority would start using the extra votes towards less high profile art; conversely I think we'd see the Killing Joke page get a handful of more votes than it already did. (just a theory, and rightfully so as the page is pretty damn nice).

But maybe something not necessarily tied in with a contest, and not limiting people to a specific set amount of votes they can use. Sure we may run into some of the same type of situation, where the Killing Joke page has 300 times the "likes" as anything else (just using that page as example as it is fairly high profile), but it will also show that there is some appreciation of the other pages of art submitted.

Just a thought, and I am open to other ideas.

Don

who realizes that this might belong over in the other thread on the Lowry, but I've been posting in this one already.

It's just fun to see that some people like some of the stuff you bought. You don't have to win to be a winner.

What if you get no votes year after year. Does that mean that no one appreciates what you bought?

I'm not even looking at this from aspects of "winner", but more from all those pages that go without votes and don't get any type of recognition.

I've been giving this some thought, and I know we have the "views" and "comments" section for art; with the Lowry being one of votes. What about incorporating some sort of "like" button? Sort of along the lines of Facebook and Instagram?

What I keep hearing from everyone is that they like the voting aspect. I also hear that there were other pages that people would have voted on, but they were limited to three votes and had to be selective in what they put them towards. I'm not sure the answer of upping the number of votes would change things, as I doubt the majority would start using the extra votes towards less high profile art; conversely I think we'd see the Killing Joke page get a handful of more votes than it already did. (just a theory, and rightfully so as the page is pretty damn nice).

But maybe something not necessarily tied in with a contest, and not limiting people to a specific set amount of votes they can use. Sure we may run into some of the same type of situation, where the Killing Joke page has 300 times the "likes" as anything else (just using that page as example as it is fairly high profile), but it will also show that there is some appreciation of the other pages of art submitted.

Don

who realizes that this might belong over in the other thread on the Lowry, but I've been posting in this one already.

Hi Don, just curious...which pieces did you vote for?

(BTW, thanks for sharing your thoughts in a rational manner.)

I do appreciate the art people share.

Hey, tell yourself whatever if it helps you sleep at night.

Guys, stop fueling the fire. It's obvious at this point that he is either completely irrational or intentionally goading. Either way, it is not worth the time.

It's unnecessary. If people wanted to "show appreciation," they could just as easily write a post here, talking about all the pieces they liked and would have voted for, if they had more votes. But could engender actual discussion and insight. Plus, it's obviously just too much work for most. I mean, how many can't even put a small paragraph on the new pieces they put up at CAF, to give people an idea on why they got it and like it?

Let's face it, when it comes to actual "art appreciation," few in this hobby actually possess it. The Lowry vote is just one example that proves that out.

Guys, stop fueling the fire.

People should have thought about that two days ago, after I made my initial one line comment. Just another example of what matters to folks here. And it isn't "art appreciation" (unless appreciation refers to dollar signs, I guess).

Why don't we just give each piece three votes to start off? Then no one gets snubbed. Also, we should have a max number of votes a piece can get (say, ten). Once it hits the max, any more votes it gets will be bestowed upon lesser works worthy of snubbing.

Don

Hi Don, just curious...which pieces did you vote for?

(BTW, thanks for sharing your thoughts in a rational manner.)

I honestly admit that I didn't vote this year. I have in years past. I've even done write ups about what I voted for and why to the mailing list. (I was really happy to see this discussed on the forum this year). This year, I fully admit that I had mixed emotions about the voting process and didn't. (not saying it's right, and I know I probably should have voted). I'm not saying that if I had voted, that any of my votes would have been different than what some others voted for; as those pages were pretty damn nice. I have entered art in this for the last several years, and will do so again next year; regardless of the lack of votes any of my pages get. But that's because I view it as an exhibition of art as opposed to a contest.

Don

who thinks we are grown men collecting comic book art and we should be able to have rational discussions regarding things; even if we don't always agree with each other.

Why don't we just give each piece three votes to start off? Then no one gets snubbed. Also, we should have a max number of votes a piece can get (say, ten). Once it hits the max, any more votes it gets will be bestowed upon lesser works worthy of snubbing.

lol

:signfunny:

Guys, stop fueling the fire.

People should have thought about that two days ago, after I made my initial one line comment. Just another example of what matters to folks here. And it isn't "art appreciation" (unless appreciation refers to dollar signs, I guess).

Did the Lowry take human form and kick your puppy or something?

I think most folks are happy with this as it is now or with minor modifications, if any. Trying to please everyone means you don't please anyone.

I think it's fine as is. Very interesting looking at the art and seeing the voting results. Bottom line, if you're unhappy with the process, don't participate and don't look at it.

Darren

Don

Hey Don,

I too appreciate the rational discussion on the topic. :) if I received 0 votes year after year, I would look at comments on my pieces as well as the discussion with fellow collectors about them. My Grindberg 'Tec cover received 0 votes, but I like it a lot and based on feedback I received after posting, know that others do also. The lack of votes to me just means that there were a lot more entries that stood out even more.

I like your idea of a like function! Of course, that begs the question - if the pieces someone posted in their Lowry received very few likes compared to others, would we just be having the same conversation? It's all relative!

Best,

JH

Don

Hey Don,

I too appreciate the rational discussion on the topic. :) if I received 0 votes year after year, I would look at comments on my pieces as well as the discussion with fellow collectors about them. My Grindberg 'Tec cover received 0 votes, but I like it a lot and based on feedback I received after posting, know that others do also. The lack of votes to me just means that there were a lot more entries that stood out even more.

I like your idea of a like function! Of course, that begs the question - if the pieces someone posted in their Lowry received very few likes compared to others, would we just be having the same conversation? It's all relative!

Best,

JH

I agree it's all relative, and we may have the same conversation. On the other hand, if you're not limited in the art that you can "like", then people won't be as reserved to click on that button; where they are limited in votes and naturally want to make sure they go for what they see as the top pieces. I think my perspective on it is coming at the art from an appreciation level, while the voting comes at it from a contest level.

I concur that lack of votes means that there were a lot more entries that stood out even more; but I think for some of us that continually don't get any votes year after year after year, then it does become a bit alienating. I'm not one to say that everyone is special and we should all get prizes. Far from it. I understand competition and know there are winners and losers. That's the way it should be. But this is art appreciation, not some pen and ink version of Thunderdome where two pages of art enter and only one leaves. (though that might be an interesting event to have all on it's own). Did I expect votes for any of my pages, not really. Am I hurt.. absolutely not.

It's also been suggested breaking art down by years, and that may spread some of the voting around more evenly. I'm not sure how feasible that is , or if it would work, but maybe. Because I do believe that this annual event can give people the sense of inclusion and pride in showing off their art; while eliminating some of the negative aspects associated with it.

Don

who appreciates people taking the time to listen

I think my perspective on it is coming at the art from an appreciation level, while the voting comes at it from a contest level.

I'm not one to say that everyone is special and we should all get prizes. Far from it. I understand competition and know there are winners and losers. That's the way it should be. But this is art appreciation, not some pen and ink version of Thunderdome where two pages of art enter and only one leaves. (though that might be an interesting event to have all on it's own). Did I expect votes for any of my pages, not really. Am I hurt.. absolutely not.

Haven't you been listening, Don? They. Don't. Frigging. CARE. "Complainers are childish jerks." "Keep the voting." "Buy 'better' art." Are you seeing any concern about not letting folks be alienated or holding up the integrity of "art appreciation." All that matters to folks is being able to show who's got the longest every year. Every other consideration doesn't even place (just like those of us continually snubbed every time we enter). I've given up on this. Let them have their circle jerk and lie to themselves about what it really is. I know the truth now and so should you. It's time to "drop it," like the swingers demand now.

I think my perspective on it is coming at the art from an appreciation level, while the voting comes at it from a contest level.

I'm not one to say that everyone is special and we should all get prizes. Far from it. I understand competition and know there are winners and losers. That's the way it should be. But this is art appreciation, not some pen and ink version of Thunderdome where two pages of art enter and only one leaves. (though that might be an interesting event to have all on it's own). Did I expect votes for any of my pages, not really. Am I hurt.. absolutely not.

Haven't you been listening, Don? They. Don't. Frigging. CARE. "Complainers are childish jerks." "Keep the voting." "Buy 'better' art." Are you seeing any concern about not letting folks be alienated or holding up the integrity of "art appreciation." All that matters to folks is being able to show who's got the longest every year. Every other consideration doesn't even place (just like those of us continually snubbed every time we enter). I've given up on this. Let them have their circle jerk and lie to themselves about what it really is. I know the truth now and so should you. It's time to "drop it," like the swingers demand now.

doh!

Multiple posters have suggested eliminating the vote, well before you. Acknowledging that would be inconvenient to your persecution complex, I guess.

So if you didn't vote for Don, and Don didn't vote for you, did you snub each other? Shouldn't you be mad at Don now, too? Instead, you voted for the usual suspects. Don actually didn't vote at all, but if he did, even he concedes that he likely would have gone with the usual suspects, as well. But everyone else who voted the same way is a big meanie.

Who's supposed to decide how the votes are distributed so that every participant gets a few and nobody ends up with their feelings hurt?

I've been reading through this entire thread and frankly I'm nauseated.

Someone thinks they were snubbed. Funny thing is, everyone who participated knew the rules going in, so if the results weren't to their liking - tough mess! Have some dignity and keep your mouth shut the next time your selections don't get the votes that you hoped they would or don't participate at all.

I need to take a shower.

I agree it's all relative, and we may have the same conversation. On the other hand, if you're not limited in the art that you can "like", then people won't be as reserved to click on that button; where they are limited in votes and naturally want to make sure they go for what they see as the top pieces. I think my perspective on it is coming at the art from an appreciation level, while the voting comes at it from a contest level.

I don't see voting and appreciation as being mutually exclusive, much as I don't see the Grammys and the Oscars reducing the appreciation for music and film.

I think one can already express appreciation of art that you like by clicking on the piece of art and increasing its page views (whether in the Lowry or in the owner's gallery) and, if you're moved to do so, leaving comments in the main CAF gallery, on Comicart-L or here. I think that adding a like button or comment functionality to the Lowry, though, is not going to please those aggrieved with the current format. No matter what you do, the big pieces are going to continue to get the lion's share of the recognition.

I don't see voting and appreciation as being mutually exclusive, much as I don't see the Grammys and the Oscars reducing the appreciation for music and film.

I think one can already express appreciation of art that you like by clicking on the piece of art and increasing its page views (whether in the Lowry or in the owner's gallery) and, if you're moved to do so, leaving comments in the main CAF gallery. I think that adding a like button or comment functionality to the Lowry, though, is not going to please those aggrieved with the current format, though. No matter what you do, the big pieces are going to continue to get the lion's share of the recognition.

:gossip: There's also a Like button on every CAF page (except Lowry pages for some reason).

Have some dignity

Exactly! There is a difference between making a point while having a discussion and whining and crying about not getting your way. That difference is dignity. People like Don who enter into the discussion with dignity and respect are treated with dignity and respect. James gets derision. A good example that what you get back from an interaction is directly related to what you put in.