• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2013 - Results

161 posts in this topic

Been too busy this week to even look at this thread. First, thanks to Brian and Bill and anyone else involved for running this yearly event.

I enter because it's fun. I think one year I got a third place in panel page, but coffee at Starbucks still cost the same the next morning.

As far as getting or not getting votes, I'm probably in the majority -- I would like to have seen a few more. Nine votes over five pieces, with one -- a page with actual comic-universe historical significance -- getting none. Hey, it is what it is. I don't buy through the year with the Lowry in mind. If I did, I'm sure I could concentrate my resources on the sort of thing that most people like -- Byrne, McFarlane, Miller. Thing is, I get no charge at all from a lot of that. If I followed old Kevin's advice and just pursued high end stuff from market-popular artists, I doubt I'd maintain my enthusiasm for the hobby. So I get what I get and I find what I find and I still have fun collecting pictures from funnybooks.

And there's this... four of my Lowry pieces this year were from public sales (three of those from on-line auctions). I love those pieces, I absolutely love them. But if they were twelve-vote Lowry items, I probably have dropped out as the bidding went beyond my willingness to pay. As it was I got those three auction pieces for less than my maximum bids. I think I'd trade that for double-digit Lowry votes. I could use that extra cash for a coffee in the morning, 'cause, come to find out, it still costs the same no matter how many Lowry votes I got.