• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2013 - Results

161 posts in this topic

What a nightmare to offer an opinion on a thread like this, still..

I am having a tough time understanding this, it seems like some people were upset that they did not get votes and have rarely if ever gotten votes??? Is that it??? Is there more to it??

If so, what about the people with a 6 figure piece of art who did not win??? Have not seen them complaining or wanting it run differently...

I was actually really pleased to see - when people were posting their votes - that people were choosing covers that were not automatically the highest costing ones, they picked what they like. Which is how it should be.

One of my total favorite pieces of art in my collection got 1 vote. (and almost no attention on CAF) Big deal, I love it. I overpaid for it and could not be more thrilled or delighted to have it.

I always regarded this competition as a bit of fun. Something I don't take too seriously.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion what artworks are destined to attract the highest number of votes and should come as no surprise to anyone.

At the end of the day, I'm more than happy with pieces I add to my collection. I've always collected to please myself and have no other agenda in my collecting habits. I'm happy and comfortable with what I collect; others should feel the same way, too.

All this protracted bickering and displays of sour grapes saddens me.

I think I'll give this competition a miss in the future. It's just not worth the hassle it if creates this kind of backlash with a minority of disgruntled participants.

For what it's worth in what has become an absurd discussion, I do not vote in the Best Of categories. I did years ago, until I came to the realization that I didn't really care about this aspect of the event, and simply enjoy it to share and admire what everyone picked up over the last year. To be clear, I have ZERO problem with the voting in concept and am grateful if and when I get votes, but it's not what interests me PERSONALLY. Therefore, I don't have a strong opinion on what if any changes are made to the voting process, other than it should be kept in some form because most (stable) folks seem have a good time with it.

Scott

I was actually really pleased to see - when people were posting their votes - that people were choosing covers that were not automatically the highest costing ones, they picked what they like. Which is how it should be.

I agree.

I have pieces that I think are great, but are clearly not as loved by most collectors, e.g., my LSH vs. Fatal Five by Agnes Garbowska and my JL8 pieces by Yale Stewart. That's okay.

I entered the LSH vs. FF piece to show off a work that I really, really enjoy in the hopes that others will enjoy it, too. I'll do the same with at least one of the Yale pieces next year.

I don't expect votes; I just appreciate the opportunity to share something I love in the hopes someone else will smile because of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's all good. Just means that something else made them smile more and that's even better.

I always regarded this competition as a bit of fun. Something I don't take too seriously.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion what artworks are destined to attract the highest number of votes and should come as no surprise to anyone.

At the end of the day, I'm more than happy with pieces I add to my collection. I've always collected to please myself and have no other agenda in my collecting habits. I'm happy and comfortable with what I collect; others should feel the same way, too.

I think I'll give this competition a miss in the future. It's just not worth the hassle it if creates this kind of backlash with a minority of disgruntled participants.

Much like Terry I just want to pleasure myself with my art, I'm not worried about pleasuring anyone else. But if I can pleasure you with my choices then all the better.

did that come out right? (shrug)

Much like Terry I just want to pleasure myself with my art, I'm not worried about pleasuring anyone else. But if I can pleasure you with my choices then all the better.

As I understand . . . you want to pleasure yourself? :blush:

Yes. Very much so.

Yes. Very much so.

probably in a circle! :jokealert:

Yes. Very much so.

probably in a circle! :jokealert:

:o

I-See-What-You-Did-There-Pelican_zpsa5eb5346.jpg

So, you're saying your art collection can be summed up with this one gremlin - :boo:

:sick:

Note to self: NEVER buy art from Doc Joe :whatev:

So, you're saying your art collection can be summed up with this one gremlin - :boo:

come, come, now!

come, come, now!

We're still discussing art, right? (shrug)

come, come, now!

I'm just jerkin your chain

Pullin your leg

:banana:

I'm more concerned about the gallery aspects of him pleasuring himself and how many votes he'll get. (or lack of votes to keep this in line with the discussions).

Don

happy to see a bit of levity in this thread

I agree it's all relative, and we may have the same conversation. On the other hand, if you're not limited in the art that you can "like", then people won't be as reserved to click on that button; where they are limited in votes and naturally want to make sure they go for what they see as the top pieces. I think my perspective on it is coming at the art from an appreciation level, while the voting comes at it from a contest level.

I don't see voting and appreciation as being mutually exclusive, much as I don't see the Grammys and the Oscars reducing the appreciation for music and film.

I think one can already express appreciation of art that you like by clicking on the piece of art and increasing its page views (whether in the Lowry or in the owner's gallery) and, if you're moved to do so, leaving comments in the main CAF gallery, on Comicart-L or here. I think that adding a like button or comment functionality to the Lowry, though, is not going to please those aggrieved with the current format. No matter what you do, the big pieces are going to continue to get the lion's share of the recognition.

Film critics routinely slam the judgment of the Oscar voters but the event does create a buzz about films that has helped lend prestige to the medium and drawn viewers to watch more movies.

There are people who like contests and don't mind if they lose.

There are people who only like contests if they believe they have a shot at winning.

There are people that don't care about contests at all.

Among those in Group 2 & 3 there will be some who may become disenchanted with the contest as a whole if it's believed that there is little many competitors can do to improve their chances to win. In this, it appears that there is at least some correlation between the price of the art and winners in each of the award categories.

The usual options for something like the Lowry are:

1. Allow votes in enough categories to get a diversification of winners (both of art & owners). This will likely still lead to some of those in Group 2 and 3 to be concerned about the feelings of the low vote getters.

2. Skip voting. This will usually mean fewer people submitting and fewer watching. The mystery aspect of not knowing who is going to win the contest is at least a part of the reason why so many people participate and observe.

3. Scrap the Lowry entirely. This means no extra showcase for people to highlight significant pieces and less likely that people will take extra time to view and appreciate art they probably would otherwise overlook entirely.