• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab label tape question

5 posts in this topic

Quick question about label tape:

I recently acquired some great old label blue slabs. They are in terrific condition with the exception of one. The adhesive on the label tape at the top of the slab is dry and the tape (on the outside) has pealed up. It stays put if I don't mess with it but isn't secure. I'm of the mindset that I'll just carefully take a little glue stick and coat some new adhesive onto it and secure it in place. I'm fearful due to 'restoration issues' with CGC (I know resto is at the book level and I know a lot of people crak their slabs once they've been graded... But I don't want to devalue the slab or have to reslab if I don't need to as I do not practice this) Is there any reason why I should avoid this? Thoughts?

Quick question about label tape:

I recently acquired some great old label blue slabs. They are in terrific condition with the exception of one. The adhesive on the label tape at the top of the slab is dry and the tape (on the outside) has pealed up. It stays put if I don't mess with it but isn't secure. I'm of the mindset that I'll just carefully take a little glue stick and coat some new adhesive onto it and secure it in place. I'm fearful due to 'restoration issues' with CGC (I know resto is at the book level and I know a lot of people crak their slabs once they've been graded... But I don't want to devalue the slab or have to reslab if I don't need to as I do not practice this) Is there any reason why I should avoid this? Thoughts?

I don't see a problem. If done carefully, it probably isn't detectable. Even if detected, I don't think most people would care. I know I wouldn't unless you made a real mess of it!

I glue top labels back on all the time. A glue stick is what I use. I've purchased a few books that arrived without top labels. Better to reattach them than have them go missing. With a bit of trial and error I have recreated top labels. I don't know if CGC will mail you new ones if you ask - and if they will what it costs. They come loose far to easy.