• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu

13 posts in this topic

Neal Adams Art with a Special Autograph!

I happened to run across a couple of mags that I consider to be truly one of a kind.

About 10 years ago i had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bolo Young when he appeared

at one of the Los Angeles Shrine shows. I didn't have a photo or magazine for him to sign, so I thought.

Then I remembered I had brought along a group of magazines along called Deadly hands of Kung Fu, you may have heard of them :) So I pulled 2 copies from a box, issue #3 and annual #1 issue #3 being a Neal Adams issue and proceed to take them over to Bolo to have them signed. I get up to the front of the line hand Bolo my books and he tells me "he's not in either of them" to which I replied I don't care, I'm a fan of his movies and wanted his auto on a martial arts magazine.

Bolo being the great sport that he was signed both of my books which I have kept hidden away and now plan to have them stabbed even at the expense of getting the dreaded been label :(

Bolo Yeung passed away a few years ago, but I still have a great memory and story to go along with my one of a kind signed books :)

Thanks for reading

15110.jpg

See more journals by Dre

Bolo Yeung is 67 years old and alive and well. I've been following his films. Most recent one was in 2013 called "The whole world at your feet".

Hope he shows up at an event where CGC has a representative. Would be nice to get a signature and a yellow label.

Thanks Roninduelist for clearing that up for me, I guess never believe a death story until you see the body :)

I see you live in California, don't know if you have ever had the opportunity to attend any of the shows at the Shrine? They usually have really great guests that attend the show. It's now held only about 4-5 times a year, whereas it was originally held once a month.

I started going around 1991-92 and would make the trip from LV at least 10 times a year. Its a great place to pick up books since collector's will show up once and awhile to sell their collections.

The downside is there is no CGC witness at least to my knowledge that can verify your books for SS :(

If you get a chance to make it I look forward to possibly meeting you someday.

Dre

Awesome idea! I was a Martial Arts movie freak for a number of years and even dabbled into the practice and history.

But why stop at Bolo? You still got multiple legends of Martial Arts movies you could go after:

Jean Claude Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Jeff Speakman, Dolph Lundgren, and the Living Legend Chuck Norris.

There are also Action Stars Jackie Chan, Billy Blanks, Cynthia Rothrock, Wesley Snipes, and a host of others. And real martial artists and champions Benny The Jet Urquidez, Bob Wall, Golden Boy Joe Lewis, Don The Dragon Wilson and my absolute favorite Bill "Super Foot" Wallace.

Sadly Bruce Lee, Brandon Lee, Jim Kelly, David Saxon, Ed Parker, Judo Gene LaBell and David Carradine are no longer with us.

I say get as many more autographs that can fill up the cover and add Neal Adams while you are at it.

Thanks for sharing!

SW3D

Dre,

Great signatures and books. I never had a chance to meet Bolo. It must have been a cool experience. It seems most famous Body Builders are Huge...but aren't tall.

Never been to the Shrine, yet. Long Beach Convention back in November was my re-integration back into the Comic Convention Scene since '92. I'm planning to make it to the next Long Beach Convention and possibly San Diego Comic Con, if I can finagle a ticket.

One of these days, I'll head down the Shrine to check it out. Look forward to meeting you and other fellow board members one of these days.

Ok SW3D the light is on now thanks to you :) I never really thought about getting multiple sigs from Martial Artists, and had Jeff Speakman walk right by me at the Shrine :(

What a great idea, I wanted Bolo because he reminded me of the old school karate movies that I grew up with and he was the first bad guy that made the most memorable impression on me.

Many of the stars you mentioned have made an appearance at least once or twice at the Shrine especially Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh (one of the fan favorites).

Thanks for planting the seed :)

Dre

Ronduelist, I am a regular seller at the Shrine Show so I will be looking forward to sharing more stories and meeting you in person soon.

Dre

I just found out that the next show is next weekend February 9, so I better get my stuff together.