• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?

Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?

50 posts in this topic

White "Sgt." Fury, Black "Nick" Fury

Yellow Daredevil, Red Daredevil

Both characters have changed their appearance over the years. I think that DD1 is much easier to find then SgtFury1, but there is no doubt that DareDevil is the more 'popular' standalone superhero.

Is Nick Fury a superhero?

White "Sgt." Fury, Black "Nick" Fury

Yellow Daredevil, Red Daredevil

Both characters have changed their appearance over the years. I think that DD1 is much easier to find then SgtFury1, but there is no doubt that DareDevil is the more 'popular' standalone superhero.

Is Nick Fury a superhero?

Perhaps only because he doesn't age:

Infinity Formula: Nick Fury's aging has been slowed greatly by the Infinity Formula, a serum created by Dr. Berthold Sternberg. Fury was first inoculated with the serum in the 1940's. Fury took the serum annually for many years. Due to its cumulative effect, Fury no longer needs additional doses to prolong his life span. The effects of the serum has been passed on to his two sons Mikel Fury and Nick Fury, Jr.

How is this even a question?

Agreed. Given the massive success of the Marvel movie universe, which is tied together by Nick Fury, I'm guessing that Fury has much more name recognition than Daredevil among the general public at this point. Plus, Sgt. Fury #1 is much more difficult to find, especially in high grade.

:)

Which is the bigger SA key in terms of historical and current FMV:

Sgt. Fury 1 ?

or

Daredevil 1 ?

Why do you insist on merging two separate and distinct questions in your surveys?

Agreed so I'll answer both.

DD 1- Historical

Sgt. Fury 1 - FMV (if you had a Sgt. Fury 1 in 9.0 above ppl would line up to trade you their DD1s because the latter is easier to replace by a mile)

- The question I've raised has to do with which book is the "bigger" key. Two major factors in determining this for any given book are its historical place in comic book history and its current FMV.

- And yes, DD 1 is more historically significant while Sgt. Fury 1 is currently more valuable. That's the easy part of the question to answer. The "Bigger Key" question is not so simple and requires analysis especially since Daredevil is much more popular than Fury notwithstanding the movie hype and "cog" role the latter character plays in the Marvel Universe.

- Comparing these two SA Marvel keys raises an underlying question: Can a more valuable book in terms of market demand necessarily mean that it's a bigger key than the first appearance of a character who is on a higher plane when it comes to popularity and history? Exploring this underlying question is what I'm interested in.

- And yes, DD 1 is more historically significant while Sgt. Fury 1 is currently more valuable.

It's more valuable grade to grade, but it's not 1:1 in terms of the census so it's an interesting comparison to make.

So, yes, a 9.4 Sgt. Fury would sell for slightly more than a 9.6 Daredevil #1. But that represents the 1 of 6 highest graded copy Sgt. Fury selling for more than the 1 of 16 and second highest graded 9.6 Daredevil. A 1 of 2 Daredevil #1 9.8 would sell for a lot more than the highest graded Sgt. Fury. Highest graded versus highest graded Daredevil wins handily.

Putting it another way, does a 9.8 Sgt. Fury #1, sell for more than $50-75,000 or so?

Great points rob_react. Does the fact that Fury 1 being a war book also put it at a disadvantage when compared to a superhero book like DD1?

I'm sure it does.

If Strange Tales #135 was the first appearance of Fury but had the same census numbers as Sgt. Fury #1, I suspect this conversation would be very different. Fury suffers from the fact that his development as a character took place over several issues rather than springing forth fully formed like Daredevil. You have a bunch of war books that are essentially unrelated to his participation in the Marvel Universe, then you get his appearance in FF #21 in the modern era and then he finally gets SHIELD and an eyepatch and the whole superspy gig in ST #135. If all of that were present in one single comic book, it would make a big difference.

I'm also not sure about Daredevil being more popular than Fury. He might be. He certainly has far more dedicated fans than Fury. However, Daredevil has also always struck me as a bit of a niche character - the people that love him love him, but plenty of people aren't interested in the character at all. In other words, his fan base is deep but not broad.

Fury I think is the opposite. There aren't a lot of fans that are passionate about Fury but just about everyone thinks he's cool. His fan base is not deep but it is broad. There's no way to know for sure, but I would bet there are a lot more causal Fury fans than there are Daredevil fans.

I know I would much, much rather have Sgt. Fury #1 than Daredevil #1.

2c

Great points rob_react. Does the fact that Fury 1 being a war book also put it at a disadvantage when compared to a superhero book like DD1?

I'm sure it does.

If Strange Tales #135 was the first appearance of Fury but had the same census numbers as Sgt. Fury #1, I suspect this conversation would be very different. Fury suffers from the fact that his development as a character took place over several issues rather than springing forth fully formed like Daredevil. You have a bunch of war books that are essentially unrelated to his participation in the Marvel Universe, then you get his appearance in FF #21 in the modern era and then he finally gets SHIELD and an eyepatch and the whole superspy gig in ST #135. If all of that were present in one single comic book, it would make a big difference.

I'm also not sure about Daredevil being more popular than Fury. He might be. He certainly has far more dedicated fans than Fury. However, Daredevil has also always struck me as a bit of a niche character - the people that love him love him, but plenty of people aren't interested in the character at all. In other words, his fan base is deep but not broad.

Fury I think is the opposite. There aren't a lot of fans that are passionate about Fury but just about everyone thinks he's cool. His fan base is not deep but it is broad. There's no way to know for sure, but I would bet there are a lot more causal Fury fans than there are Daredevil fans.

I know I would much, much rather have Sgt. Fury #1 than Daredevil #1.

2c

Re: war. I completely agree. The war angle hurts Sgt. Fury #1. I've owned a couple of Strange Tales #135s and might buy another one one of these days. I've ever only had a passing interest in Sgt. Fury #1. To me, the "spy guy" Nick Fury is the one I care about, so the Strange Tales book is the one I'm interested in.

In comics, from 158 on has had as good a run of talented creators and quality issues as any character in comics. There were some dud periods, of course, but in terms of good comics on the shelves every month, Daredevil has been a standard bearer and has had some significant periods of being a big title (Miller run x2, Kevin Smith/Joe Quesada, Bendis/Maleev, Brubaker, etc)

The movies are obviously a different matter. the Ultimate/Movie Fury is very well known, but again, only as a central (but not starring) piece of a larger universe. We're not talking about Iron Man. We're talking about the guy that yells at Iron Man :)

I think there's another Ohio Copy at 8.5. That is a great list you have compiled Rob.

I have two Sgt. Fury #1's. One raw and this one. I do not have a DD #1. But I would have to agree with the majority, that DD is a more important Marvel character than Fury is. Just because he is a costumed superhero. Fury was a combat thing in the beginning, and then became a poor man's superhero later. No one read combat books when I was a kid. It was all about costumed superheroes. Pretty much still is.

But Sgt. Fury #1 is probably a tougher book to find in grade.

sgtfury1cgccopyfront001.jpg