• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most significant first 10 issue run

34 posts in this topic

I'm going to go with:

1.) Fantastic Four

2.) Amazing Spider-Man

3.) Avengers

The Fantastic Four set the standard for Marvel. The first ten issues included:

Marvel's first super-hero series (FF1)

Marvel's first super-hero team (FF1)

First Skrulls (FF2)

First SA Subby (FF4)

Marvel's best character (FF5) [Dr. Doom - my personal opinion]

Marvel's first super-villain team-up (FF6)

First time an artist (Jack) & writer (Stan) appeared within a comic book (FF10)

Before the Fantastic Four run, Marvel was mainly writing (very cool) monster & romance stories. FF's popularity paved way for all of the other super heroes to come.

I've actually never read any Stan/Kirby FF, so i need to do some serious catching up. Would you say his first 30 issues were a better read than 30-60 collecting the Inhuman, Galactus, era ? Nice Sig line by the way.

The later stuff is better. The whole run is excellent, and I love the first ten especially, but the peak period is near the one you note- #39-60. Especially the issues with Joe Sinnott as inker (starting with issue #44). There are a lot of soft inking jobs in the first three or so years (with some exceptions.) Sinnott was perfect for Kirby.

This.

The later stuff is far better than the earlier stuff. I'd stretch it past 60 all the way up to 77 (because the 74-77 run is more cosmic goodness).

It can be a bit (ok, a lot) melodramatic and soap opera-y at times but, to me, it embodies what the SA was all about.

And, as Rob said, Sinnott was the perfect inker for Kirby. Their collaboration is the tops for me.

I'm a huge Spidey fan, but even I would pick the FF. The fact that Spidey's first appearance is not in ASM #1, and the FF's is in FF #1, also skews this a little. If ASM #1 was his first appearance it would certainly make this more of a debate, I think.

I agree. I love the earliest FF's, but to me the best ones are from the mid 40's to the early 80's. Great stories, great inking, everything. Maybe I just grew up reading those and I'm biased. I dunno. Still, 1-10 FF was pretty darned impressive...

Tough to beat FF in 1-10 consecutive issues. If expanded, though, how about Showcase that would include SA Flash, SA GL, JLA, among others.

Too bad they kinda blew it with the 1st 3 issues . . . not until #4 do you start to see "epic" runs, Flash, Challengers, Lois Lane, then we don't see epic again until #22 with GL, and then it starts to get epic again, Aquaman, Atom, Metal Men.

As big of a Spidey collector as I am ...

Hands down FF

If you ask me first 25 issues or even first 50 I think I can give Spider-man the edge.

As big of a Spidey collector as I am ...

Hands down FF

If you ask me first 25 issues or even first 50 I think I can give Spider-man the edge.

+1

I believe that Amazing Spider-man 1-50 is unmatched. The list of classic villains that came from this run is mind blowing. But for ten issues? Got to give it to FF 1-10.