• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victora Von Doom? FF Reboot News

82 posts in this topic

Leaving a gender change for Doom out of the equation, the original FF is among the hardest superhero concepts to transfer to the modern age. They took the rocket trip as part of the cold war space race - ancient history now; they got their powers from cosmic rays - who is going to swallow that in 2014?; their powers and personalities don't translate well to the big screen, or at least Reed's. I don't think folks relate to the egghead scientist like they do to electronics whiz Tony Stark, and a guy whose power is stretching just looks kind of silly.

Don't get me wrong; I love SA FF dearly but think they need to be updated a bit for the movies. Though I don't know if making Doom female is the right road. The 2 Fox movies are unwatchable to me. First thing they need to do to improve the franchise is to make a film that plays it relatively straight without all the goofiness.

Exactly. They've taken the wrong approach to the FF. It's a bit dated/goofy concept.

I've said for years, the way to do it is make it an animated movie geared at kids, not fanboys. It should be more "Incredibles" than "Avengers'". Give it to Pixar and let them work their magic.

Screw em, screw 'em all...I've had this avatar for nearly 12 years now, I'm not changing it to some chick called Victoria.

It was bad enough that they made the Ultimate Doom Belgian.

Screw em, screw 'em all...I've had this avatar for nearly 12 years now, I'm not changing it to some chick called Victoria.

It was bad enough that they made the Ultimate Doom Belgian.

Yeah, Ultimate Doom was a letdown. :cry:

While updating on FF casting.

Someone at FOX said they haven't ruled out the idea of making Dr.Doom female.

IGN

I must admit,I actually found the idea interesting lol

Nerd rage in 3..2..1 :fear:

Interesting, yes, but I wonder if it would open the door to copyright infringement litigation from DC? > hm

They're the current rights holder to the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and the villainess Iron Maiden! :whistle:

THUNDER_AGENTS_01_C_p01.jpg

Leaving a gender change for Doom out of the equation, the original FF is among the hardest superhero concepts to transfer to the modern age. They took the rocket trip as part of the cold war space race - ancient history now; they got their powers from cosmic rays - who is going to swallow that in 2014?; their powers and personalities don't translate well to the big screen, or at least Reed's. I don't think folks relate to the egghead scientist like they do to electronics whiz Tony Stark, and a guy whose power is stretching just looks kind of silly.

Don't get me wrong; I love SA FF dearly but think they need to be updated a bit for the movies. Though I don't know if making Doom female is the right road. The 2 Fox movies are unwatchable to me. First thing they need to do to improve the franchise is to make a film that plays it relatively straight without all the goofiness.

Exactly. They've taken the wrong approach to the FF. It's a bit dated/goofy concept.

I've said for years, the way to do it is make it an animated movie geared at kids, not fanboys. It should be more "Incredibles" than "Avengers'". Give it to Pixar and let them work their magic.

This is exactly why they should have made a movie set in the 60s everything would have worked perfect. Space race meets Mad Men would have been awesome. Better than this pile they are giving us. I love FF but if they change 2 major characters just to "update things" forget it

Maybe the easiest solution would be for Disney to just buy Fox. hm
Their umbrella casts a much much larger shadow than Lucas did.
:jokealert::facepalm:

How many movies with Marvel characters do you want to see come out in a year? If you want more than 2, the properties have to remain at different studios. What we should be hoping for is for Fox to get their act together.

Personally, I'd be fine with a film every other month. Bring back the serial, and make it 2 hours long.

I think this has come about because somewhere along the way some clown with his/her panties in a wad about "diversity" asked why shouldn't Doom be female, and though every person who knows anything at all about the FF rolled their eyes, somebody else thought they'd better not say no for fear of being prosecuted in the PC media court. Either that, or the people making this film don't know what the hell to do with it.

I'm sorry but I much prefer the atomic origins and cosmic rays origins over the genetic testing origins for everything now. It just says to me we can create unlimited super heroes. The scene in ASM where he gets his powers was one thing that really bugged me. All these Genetically altered spiders running loose in an open room. ASM 3 is going to wind up a clone saga story that way. Reading tidbits about the uber popular Ultimate Spider-Man it seems like its all about genetic alterations. Sorry but I prefer Kraven's secret jungle potions versus getting altered in a lab. I'm really not liking the look of the ASM films where they are making it look nice and neat with OScorp creating all these villains and even Spider-Man. Give me the Electro struck by lightning and electrocuted on a telephone pole at the same time over this redundant . The Silver Age origins are a lot funner and unique. These genetic alteration origins are a snooze fest and half the time seem like they can be replicated which just ruins the character for me.

I agree that Reed should lose the Plasticman powers. Maybe his transformation was just that his brain got turned up to 11 instead. I think a logical compromise on Torch would be that he starts out white, but after he's extinguished he's turned black. And I think they should retain Alba, but modify her power so that she has the ability to make her clothing invisible.

...and yes I get that the Torch thing is probably insensitive in some way.

Like I said in the thread about making the human torch black.

If you really want to make things current, and have the movie reflect the face of America today, then you need to make at least two of the characters Mexican, with at least one of them being in the country illegally.

I would really like to see the characters appear in the movie as they have in the comic for over 50 years now.

If you feel compelled to make some kind of multicultural PC rainbow lovefest, fine, just don't call it The Fantastic Four.

Your agenda is ridiculous and you're completely missing the likely motivation of the studio.

catfight.jpg

joker-popcorn.gif

-slym

Does anyone know how often Fox has to make a Fantastic Four film to keep the rights? That's the truly sucky part...if the reboot bombs and it's a decade, Fox sitting on the rights until 2025 is going to be awful. :mad: The negotiated time period is different for each character. I suppose since the second film came out in 2007 and the new one is due in 2015, it looks like it's probably a decade. :(

This was the last thing I saw, re: film rights...

"They need to begin filming a new Fantastic Four movie within 7 years after the last Fantastic Four movie was released. Meaning that they have until about early Fall 2014 to start filming. Once they begin filming, there are other dates that they have to meet. They can't just take 5 years to film the movie. However, the actual time that they have to release the film after filming begins remains a guarded secret by those in the know.

Fox can change the release date. They aren't locked into March 2015. However, what they must do is to begin filming within 7 years after the last FF film was released. Announcing release dates, changing release dates, announcing directors, or anything similar will not stop the FF from reverting. The only thing that will stop the clock is for filming to begin by Fall of 2014."

The budget for the two Fox FF films was something like $230M ($100M & $130M), not counting any marketing/advertising. Domestically, the two films generated $286M, with $50M of that 'win' coming from FF1. But they generated another $330M from the foreign BO. So, a decent win overall from the franchise. But the drop-off in the 2nd movie made studio execs nervous.

I'm sure FOX will go through with filming on this 3rd installment, but if the results are not decently in their favor, I could see them selling the rights back to Marvel/Disney at some point (probably a 3-5 year time period). Then the guess would be for how much. Probably $100M or less, depending upon if FF3 flatlines or bombs.

If FOX can't get everything squared away for shooting the new film before a Fall deadline, I'm sure they could negotiate a sell back to Marvel/Disney, perhaps at a higher price ($150M)... and FOX could look at it as a 'win,' in that they didn't fork out $100M-ish to shoot the new film + what they pocket for a sale back to Marvel/Disney.

Who knows. Everyone can see what happens dollar-wise when a comic franchise is done right (see: Batman, Spidey & Avengers). FOX doesn't want to walk away from that potential with the FF. But they've got to do it right.

I'm not sure the current ideas that have been floated are a step in that 'right' direction, but I guess we'll see!

The budget for the two Fox FF films was something like $230M ($100M & $130M), not counting any marketing/advertising. Domestically, the two films generated $286M, with $50M of that 'win' coming from FF1. But they generated another $330M from the foreign BO. So, a decent win overall from the franchise. But the drop-off in the 2nd movie made studio execs nervous.

The studios only release those numbers because they make almost every film look good. They don't include marketing costs which usually approach half of the production costs, distribution costs, production costs absorbed by the studio, and any other costs not directly related to the shoot. And they never include the eventual costs--or profit--from television licensing and DVD sales. I've never heard the total real cost or income for any film, ever. And studios don't want that info to be public, either. The numbers do look good enough such that they probably did make millions in profit, just not hundreds of millions like the numbers appear to tally up to. Maybe tens of millions though, but that's a high margin of risk.

Just the fact that they cancelled the planned third film and Surfer spinoff tells me that the profit margins were too thin to risk going in the same direction they were before. :sorry:

Seeing as this whole comic movie thing is probably a bubble that studios know will eventually burst (enjoy it while we can!), I suspect that if the first FF films were anywhere near their comfort zone in terms of profitability we'd be seeing trailers for FF3 by now.

Someone at FOX said they haven't ruled out the idea of making Dr.Doom female.

Wouldn't they have to change her name to Nurse Doom? :baiting:

Victoria thinks Not a Good Idea

1556430_10152184303802243_1153429827_o.jpg