• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Vertigo the new Image?

51 posts in this topic

I kid.

Vertigo is the best line in comics. They have produced the best, most insightful and most influential graphic novels of all-time, bar none.

What I meant was the recent upsurge in the prices of some Vertigo comics. Before, it was only YTLM 1 and Fables 6 RRP that has any chance of hitting the 100$ mark, raw. Now we're seeing that movement for the first issues of Preacher and Sandman. Not to mention that importance is also being given to key issues in their run e.g. Sandman 8, Sandman 50, etc.

Currently, there is also renewed interest in iZombie, DMZ and Scalped.

Can Vertigo replicate Image 2012 wherein every title was being speculated on?

I kid.

Vertigo is the best line in comics. They have produced the best, most insightful and most influential graphic novels of all-time, bar none.

What I meant was the recent upsurge in the prices of some Vertigo comics. Before, it was only YTLM 1 and Fables 6 RRP that has any chance of hitting the 100$ mark, raw. Now we're seeing that movement for the first issues of Preacher and Sandman. Not to mention that importance is also being given to key issues in their run e.g. Sandman 8, Sandman 50, etc.

Currently, there is also renewed interest in iZombie, DMZ and Scalped.

Can Vertigo replicate Image 2012 wherein every title was being speculated on?

I don't think so. If you look at what's coming down the pipeline at Vertigo, not a lot of it excites in the way that the new Image titles of the last couple of years have done. It looks as though the premier creators (well, those that aren't tied to exclusive contracts, anyway) are more likely to head to Image for new work given their creator-owned model.

The classic Vertigo series that you mention are exactly that: classic. I think that to the extent there was going to be serious interest in any of them from a TV perspective it likely would have happened already. Obviously there's buzz about pilots etc. at the moment but I don't expect too much of that to actually bear any real fruit.

Vertigo sends PDFs of the first 3 issues of a series to LCS to try to get them to order the "correct" amount. I don't think we will see that same day craze for a while. Too many people jumped on because it was so easy.

DC's also making integration between their studio/publishing side much easier, so this really shouldn't be a surprise. Good stories can be told via floppies, books, theaters, etc.

Kudos to Karen Page for what she built.

DD's crack addict girlfriend is involved in Vertigo?

DC's also making integration between their studio/publishing side much easier, so this really shouldn't be a surprise. Good stories can be told via floppies, books, theaters, etc.

Kudos to Karen Page for what she built.

DD's crack addict girlfriend is involved in Vertigo?

HAH. Karen Berger-- That's my bad. God, I need to step away from comics.

Lol'ed so hard at Karen Page. :)

You bring up a nice point Balham. I just thought of this since speculation is not exclusive to the "classics", even recent releases like iZombie, DMZ are rumored for development, and thus, the market reflects the increase in prices. But yeah, until we see the TV/film, they are just that, rumors.

krighton, yup, we will gauge it with DMZ, or whichever comes first.

COMICSNYC22, my bad for forgetting about Sweet Tooth.

At any rate, price increase or not, Vertigo has consistently produced the best comics. :)

i think the fact that everything is going to be easy for DC/Vertigo to be able to talk to studios on comics they want to bring to TV, Movies. Since they are moving and have johns making sure to expand their products, stories across different media it can be the next Image if they play the cards right.

I wouldn't say vertigo is the new image. They need to launch more frequently if they intend to do so. These scheduled quarter releases or mini's are nevertheless intriguing and the new titles they just launched are actually quite good.

Hinterkind, Trillium, Wake and Collider are the reason for this discussion.