• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dishonest comic store owners.

380 posts in this topic

I think the gripe with some is not the buying at a huge discount, but the actual spoken lie.

"I buy at 50% of what I sell at. I'll give you $10 for this comic." And then tomorrow the store owner has it posted for $200.

I think its the actual direct 'look you in the face' lie.

I think if he the store owner talks in generalities, and makes an offer, I've got no beef. "Comic market is tough, it might take a while to move, I'll offer you $10, you get cash today." It could be worth $100K and I'd have no problem with this.

I also think when selling to a store you're taking the right now. You are making him do all the work and sit on the merchandise. Sure the book might be worth $50, but it might take you 6 months to move it. Selling it to the store he is taking on that shelf space and dead time.

My brother-in-law sold his collection about 10 years ago and found out that the FF 1 he bought from a local store had color touch, along with other books he purchased from the same place.

When did he purchase the book though? Color touch, from my understanding, was common place in the 70s and early 80s to the point that most dealers didn't mention it. On the flip side, most buyers were not aware enough to ask about it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.

I don't think that's the case, I was aware of restoration when I first started collecting & the dealer in Buffalo (where I got my books in the early 80's) used to even show us kids what colour touch looked like when he had examples of it from collections.

(shrug)

I'm talking about a guy that would give someone $10 for action #1 if they could get away with it. That is just wrong. Now if it was a yard sale and the comic was there and someone said comics are 25 cents each I would buy it. But a comic store offering that is a different story.

My brother-in-law sold his collection about 10 years ago and found out that the FF 1 he bought from a local store had color touch, along with other books he purchased from the same place.

When did he purchase the book though? Color touch, from my understanding, was common place in the 70s and early 80s to the point that most dealers didn't mention it. On the flip side, most buyers were not aware enough to ask about it either.

I don't think that's the case, I was aware of restoration when I first started collecting & the dealer in Buffalo (where I got my books in the early 80's) used to even show us kids what colour touch looked like when he had examples of it from collections.

(shrug)

I wasn't around- that was just the way it was explained to me. My LCS said it wasn't uncommon to get books in the 70s and he'd instantly reach for his sharpies. From what he describes, it was just part of the market back then. He regrets it now, but he didn't know any better then.

He's a pretty honest guy too. He's been dealing books for a LONG time.

the understanding when you go to sell something to a business is will you give me what this is worth, understanding that you have to make a profit on it. $2 for ASM 129 doesn't cut it.

man I'd love to do a sting where i go into store acting stupid while a friend films it and he offers me $20 for asm 129, first new x men giant, first ghost rider, and some other key books in a small stack of other shill books. then we say so you're offering me $20 for $5000 worth of books cause you think I'm stupid-you sir are a crook, and this is going on youtube. it'll be up in an hour under the title ----------- comic shop owner a thief exposed.....

Do you feel it is the responsibility of that store owner to educate you on what you have and what it is worth? This is a discussion that has been had many times on these boards over the years. Many feel it is not, some feel it is.

If you go into the store, and say "I have some comics for sale, what will you give me for them?" a completely reasonable answer is $20.00 even if the book is worth $1000.

If you walk into that store and ask the guy " I have some comics here and I was wondering if you can tell me what they are worth?" Very different question. The store owner can then decide if he wants to bother helping you for free, charge you for an instruction lesson on grading/ value to compensate for his time, make you an offer on the books, etc.

That part makes me chuckle. Usually when I go in a shop the guy at the counter is either eating a sandwich, reading a book or just standing there with a frown on his face. lol

most comic owner's time from what i've seen is the least valuable on earth, slightly below that of panhandler.

(shrug)

In the mid 80s, it was very common to see a dealer buy some BA black covers and be sitting there with a marker. As strange as it seems now, there was a time when restoration and color touch were not considered to be bad.

had a buddy who got ripped off selling some comics to a store-when he found out what they were worth once they were on the wall he went on a stealing rampage, determined to get triple what he was ripped of for out of the dude-I can't believe he's the only one-comic shop owners should be aware-they can get ripped off too if the gloves are off.

most comic owner's time from what i've seen is the least valuable on earth, slightly below that of panhandler.

I encourage you to do it yourself for a brief period of time. You will without a doubt change you opinion. Set up at a local convention, see how much work it is to buy/price/ grade books for a show > then imagine doing it for a living.

And to answer your question, your book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I encourage you to do it yourself for a brief period of time. You will without a doubt change you opinion. Set up at a local convention, see how much work it is to buy/price/ grade books for a show > then imagine doing it for a living.

And to answer your question, your book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I dont know about conventions but I echo the sandwich eating comment above. I never see those guys do much. As far as willing to pay for it I just can't agree-taking advantage of someone who doesn't know the value of something is ethically wrong, if you are in that business. Not to mention it's not really what he's 'willing to pay for it' it's what he thinks he can get away with. if another person came in with ASM 129 and knew what it was worth I guarantee he'd suddenly be 'willing to pay' far more than $2.

to be clear-are you saying if someone came in with ASM 129 and seemed clueless you would offer him $2?

This has largely been my experience too. I've also worked numerous shows either assisting or at my own booth and worked very hard in both capacities grading, organizing, working on presentation, etc.

No regrets, though. It's a labor of love.

otherwise why all the standing around and video game playing? that's all i've ever seen 'em do....

anyway isn't estimating the value of comics part of their job? so maybe they can come to an agreement?

Rick on pawn stars doesn't just offer someone $2 when they come in with an old book-he takes his valuable TIME to get an expert in to see what it's worth-so maybe he can buy it.....

I have had many jobs in my 30+ years of employment, from Personnel Manager, to Sales Manager, to Customer Service Manager, to Theatrical Agent, and I have never worked so hard - nor put in as many hours - as I do as a comic retailer.

It is now 2.31am, I'm at my desk processing books into stock, and I have at least another hour of this before I see my bed.

(shrug)

In the mid 80s, it was very common to see a dealer buy some BA black covers and be sitting there with a marker. As strange as it seems now, there was a time when restoration and color touch were not considered to be bad.

Bah, I disagree - my experience is very limited. Customer satisfaction goals vary from storefront w/pull list service vs. convention dealer...then & now.

Today's equivalent 'not bad' would be the guys pulling tattoos out of FF 252's for their ASM 238's

:baiting: