• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dishonest comic store owners.

380 posts in this topic

My favorite LCS is Dave Kapelka's. North Coast Nostalgia, in a suburb of Cleveland.

Whenever I went in there, I was greeted like I was someone important. Dave or his wife would ask me various things about how my life was going. They would ask me if I wanted to see a new collection they had in the back.

They waited on me hand and foot. But when I just wanted to look around, they were busy with various things. Stocking, pricing, waiting on other customers, and looking up things on the internet.

When I decided on this or that item or book. I would hand it to them and both (depending on who was working there that time of day), would say to me as they were ringing it up. "I'm going to take 10% off". I would say thank you, and that was that. I didn't negotiate or ask. They just did it.

The back issue books would be graded conservatively. The books would also be priced very competitively, and with the additional 10% off, it made them a bargain.

I have been in maybe 10 different LCS's in my life, and I have never had a bad experience.

Maybe it is the customer that is the problem, and not the store personnel. Some people are just flat out hard to get along with. No matter how far backwards you bend.

yep I was just a jerk for selling my ASM 129 for $2. I'm hard to get along with that way.

Have you ever read the story of Pop Hollinger's books?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/1st-Comic-Collector-Dealer-POP-HOLLINGER-/10000000000009986/g.html

I think it would neat as all get out to own one.

Have you ever read the story of Pop Hollinger's books?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/1st-Comic-Collector-Dealer-POP-HOLLINGER-/10000000000009986/g.html

I think it would neat as all get out to own one.

personally i couldn't deal with a taped up book but can understand why someone would want one.

My favorite LCS is Dave Kapelka's. North Coast Nostalgia, in a suburb of Cleveland.

Whenever I went in there, I was greeted like I was someone important. Dave or his wife would ask me various things about how my life was going. They would ask me if I wanted to see a new collection they had in the back.

They waited on me hand and foot. But when I just wanted to look around, they were busy with various things. Stocking, pricing, waiting on other customers, and looking up things on the internet.

When I decided on this or that item or book. I would hand it to them and both (depending on who was working there that time of day), would say to me as they were ringing it up. "I'm going to take 10% off". I would say thank you, and that was that. I didn't negotiate or ask. They just did it.

The back issue books would be graded conservatively. The books would also be priced very competitively, and with the additional 10% off, it made them a bargain.

I have been in maybe 10 different LCS's in my life, and I have never had a bad experience.

Maybe it is the customer that is the problem, and not the store personnel. Some people are just flat out hard to get along with. No matter how far backwards you bend.

yep I was just a jerk for selling my ASM 129 for $2. I'm hard to get along with that way.

You go into hibernation for like a month there? I love how you post 3 times to every 1 post in your own threads…

:popcorn:

ps the comic store owner i'm discussing is universally despised and a local joke. I don't think I'm the problem.

but even let's say it's true-if someone comes in with key books interested in selling them you'll offer them 2 options: $10 or leave now, I'm too busy????

Nope.

If somebody comes in with a key book, I'll sit them down and talk through their options...CGC, sell on consignment or sell to me outright.

ok cause the guy's post who brought this up claimed that it would take up 'valuable time' and not be 'his job'. We're agreed that was a ridiculous comment.

It isn't a ridiculous comment, it is a fact of operating a comic business whether it is in a store or a convention. You will constantly have people come to you and want to ask questions about comics, and yes talking comics is the job of the person running the comic business, what isn't necessarily his business is taking his time to educate the seller all about comics, what they are worth. You can go that route and I guarantee you there will be a seller thast appreciates it and you have earned their business, but there is another that takes that knowledge you have freely given and uses it somewhere else.

The right thing to do: make a fair and honest offer of what you are willing to pay.

Your customer will know if they got horribly ripped off by getting a ridiculous lowball offer of 20 bucks on a 1K value comic, and my advice to that seller is: shop somewhere else.

You go into hibernation for like a month there? I love how you post 3 times to every 1 post in your own threads…

:popcorn:

well i was frozen in ice but they revived me. what can i say i've got a lot of time on my hands....

Kav, I'm just curious...you stated this happened years ago why the sudden netrage now??

oh it came up in conversation and i thought it would be a good topic. we were discussing local comic store owners and their quirks. There is one who is very cool though-i didn't mention that....

ps the comic store owner i'm discussing is universally despised and a local joke. I don't think I'm the problem.

Was his post directed at you?

The only dishonest comic book store owners are the ones that are CT'ing books which I still remember happening back around 2005. (Don't worry playa's the guy doesn't do comics anymore) or guys who sell things that are not what they seem, such as frankenbooks or non-disclosed restoration.

If you do not know what you have then do not sell it.

If you do not know what you want for the book do not walk into the situation blind.

If you do not find the offer by the store owner to be attractive enough then you are always free to walk out the door. If the store owner wants to offer you more then that is the point that they will counter.

This is not rocket science...

BTW - you can always sell on eBay or Craigslist to get more than what the LCS may be able to offer you. It's not that hard.

but even let's say it's true-if someone comes in with key books interested in selling them you'll offer them 2 options: $10 or leave now, I'm too busy????

Nope.

If somebody comes in with a key book, I'll sit them down and talk through their options...CGC, sell on consignment or sell to me outright.

ok cause the guy's post who brought this up claimed that it would take up 'valuable time' and not be 'his job'. We're agreed that was a ridiculous comment.

It isn't a ridiculous comment, it is a fact of operating a comic business whether it is in a store or a convention. You will constantly have people come to you and want to ask questions about comics, and yes talking comics is the job of the person running the comic business, what isn't necessarily his business is taking his time to educate the seller all about comics, what they are worth. You can go that route and I guarantee you there will be a seller thast appreciates it and you have earned their business, but there is another that takes that knowledge you have freely given and uses it somewhere else.

The right thing to do: make a fair and honest offer of what you are willing to pay.

Your customer will know if they got horribly ripped off by getting a ridiculous lowball offer of 20 bucks on a 1K value comic, and my advice to that seller is: shop somewhere else.

true but they will know they got ripped off after the rip off which is small consolation. I'm just against all ripoffs-does that make me a bad person?

The only dishonest comic book store owners are the ones that are CT'ing books which I still remember happening back around 2005. (Don't worry playa's the guy doesn't do comics anymore) or guys who sell things that are not what they seem, such as frankenbooks or non-disclosed restoration.

If you do not know what you want for the book do not walk into the situation blind.

If you do not find the offer by the store owner to be attractive enough then you are always free to walk out the door. If the store owner wants to offer you more then that is the point that they will counter.

BTW - you can always sell on eBay or Craigslist to get more than what the LCS may be able to offer you. It's not that hard.

definitely. anyone who sells to a comic store is a chump. even if they are being fair you still lose out on the markup. they cant buy something and sell for the same amount-but with ebay you will get usually the fair market value-and sometimes quite a bit more i have found. sometimes less but in my experience never as low as a comic shop would pay.

Nope.

true but they will know they got ripped off after the rip off which is small consolation. I'm just against all ripoffs-does that make me a bad person?

Not at all, but I hope you learned from the experience and no longer do business at that store?

It would be interesting to hear the store owners side of this story as to why he only offered you 20 bucks for your 1k book.

definitely. anyone who sells to a comic store is a chump. even if they are being fair you still lose out on the markup. they cant buy something and sell for the same amount-but with ebay you will get usually the fair market value-and sometimes quite a bit more i have found. sometimes less but in my experience never as low as a comic shop would pay.

some people don't want the hassle of dealing with Ebay or Craiglist or dealing with random strangers and prefer the quick and easier route.

Nope.

Not at all, but I hope you learned from the experience and no longer do business at that store?

It would be interesting to hear the store owners side of this story as to why he only offered you 20 bucks for your 1k book.

well to be honest it sounds strange but he started hating me when i came in with my girlfriend one time. then the insults and the cheating started. i would never get ripped off again of course-any book i sell i check ebay first to check the value. and I know I'm not his only victim, from reading yelp reviews....

What store was it?

dang can i get in trouble for saying it? i want to yell it from the mountaintop i think...hmmm...

some people don't want the hassle of dealing with Ebay or Craiglist or dealing with random strangers and prefer the quick and easier route.

Then the trade off to not dealing with that hassle is getting significantly less for your books.

Then the trade off to not dealing with that hassle is getting significantly less for your books.

thats a bad trade

ebay is easy