• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dishonest comic store owners.

380 posts in this topic

most comic owner's time from what i've seen is the least valuable on earth, slightly below that of panhandler.

I have had many jobs in my 30+ years of employment, from Personnel Manager, to Sales Manager, to Customer Service Manager, to Theatrical Agent, and I have never worked so hard - nor put in as many hours - as I do as a comic retailer.

It is now 2.31am, I'm at my desk processing books into stock, and I have at least another hour of this before I see my bed.

Then WHY all the standing around????? I have NEVER seen anyone working in a comic store grading or anything. standing, eating, playing games...that's all i ever see and I've spent countless hours in comic shops. I just don't buy it. you seem to have time to read posts and comment......

Never had a positive experience at a comic shop, ever. Either I was ignored, or made to feel like I was wasting valuable time since I either had no idea what the conversation I interrupted consisted of, or I wasn't selling an Action 1 for less then a price of coffee. haven't been in one for years, and years.

Never had a positive experience at a comic shop, ever. Either I was ignored, or made to feel like I was wasting valuable time since I either had no idea what the conversation I interrupted consisted of, or I wasn't selling an Action 1 for less then a price of coffee. haven't been in one for years, and years.

that's EXACTLY the experience I have had-EVERY TIME.

most comic owner's time from what i've seen is the least valuable on earth, slightly below that of panhandler.

I have had many jobs in my 30+ years of employment, from Personnel Manager, to Sales Manager, to Customer Service Manager, to Theatrical Agent, and I have never worked so hard - nor put in as many hours - as I do as a comic retailer.

It is now 2.31am, I'm at my desk processing books into stock, and I have at least another hour of this before I see my bed.

Then WHY all the standing around????? I have NEVER seen anyone working in a comic store grading or anything. standing, eating, playing games...that's all i ever see and I've spent countless hours in comic shops. I just don't buy it.

I neither stand around, nor eat, nor play video games. Although I have seen it happen on occasion, the majority of store owners I have encountered (and I've been going in comic shops since the late 70s) do nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, when the doors are closed and the lights are dimmed, do you have any idea of what work needs to be done and how long it takes?

Then WHY all the standing around????? I have NEVER seen anyone working in a comic store grading or anything. standing, eating, playing games...that's all i ever see and I've spent countless hours in comic shops. I just don't buy it.

I neither stand around, nor eat, nor play video games. Although I have seen it happen on occasion, the majority of store owners I have encountered (and I've been going in comic shops since the late 70s) do nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, when the doors are closed and the lights are dimmed, do you have any idea of what work needs to be done and how long it takes?

Things must be way different in your neck of the woods than here or where the other people who have commented live. We all see slackers and only slackers. period.

but even let's say it's true-if someone comes in with key books interested in selling them you'll offer them 2 options: $10 or leave now, I'm too busy????

That's a shame. Makes me grateful for my LCS. I've been shopping there for 30 years, starting back when my budget was my $5 weekly allowance and whatever I could save from my $2/day lunch money. I've gotten so many great deals over the years I can't even keep track of them. I still get great deals there today. I trust the owner implicitly and prefer not to do business anywhere else though sometimes there's no choice. I guess there's a reason he's been in business for 35 years.

That's a shame. Makes me grateful for my LCS. I've been shopping there for 30 years, starting back when my budget was my $5 weekly allowance and whatever I could save from my $2/day lunch money. I've gotten so many great deals over the years I can't even keep track of them. I still get great deals there today. I trust the owner implicitly and prefer not to do business anywhere else though sometimes there's no choice. I guess there's a reason he's been in business for 35 years.

can you verify they wouldn't take advantage of a rube?

you must have been to some pretty crappie LCS's...

Whenever I just set up for a show I ache for the next day or two afterwards.

Loading up, setting up, pricing, checking GPA, checking OSG, keeping a sharp eye

out on the booth all weekend for thieves and retards that like to drop your wall books,

selling, making deals, breaking down, loading up and bringing everything back.

It was a lot harder than I thought too - before I started that is...

because the only way you would know is if you could turn invisible when a rube came in and see if they took advantage of them....

Absolutely.

He's looking for a profit, not a heist. And repeat business, not angry customers.

My brother-in-law sold his collection about 10 years ago and found out that the FF 1 he bought from a local store had color touch, along with other books he purchased from the same place.

When did he purchase the book though? Color touch, from my understanding, was common place in the 70s and early 80s to the point that most dealers didn't mention it. On the flip side, most buyers were not aware enough to ask about it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.

I don't think that's the case, I was aware of restoration when I first started collecting & the dealer in Buffalo (where I got my books in the early 80's) used to even show us kids what colour touch looked like when he had examples of it from collections.

(shrug)

In the mid 80s, it was very common to see a dealer buy some BA black covers and be sitting there with a marker. As strange as it seems now, there was a time when restoration and color touch were not considered to be bad.

Bah, I disagree - my experience is very limited. Customer satisfaction goals vary from storefront w/pull list service vs. convention dealer...then & now.

Today's equivalent 'not bad' would be the guys pulling tattoos out of FF 252's for their ASM 238's

:baiting:

Did people do that? Are they distinguishable? I thought they were attached? I've never seen them in a raw copy.

you must have been to some pretty crappie LCS's...

Whenever I just set up for a show I ache for the next day or two afterwards.

Loading up, setting up, pricing, checking GPA, checking OSG, keeping a sharp eye

out on the booth all weekend for thieves and retards that like to drop your wall books,

selling, making deals, breaking down, loading up and bringing everything back.

It was a lot harder than I thought too - before I started that is...

everyone keeps talking about cons-I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT CONS

but even let's say it's true-if someone comes in with key books interested in selling them you'll offer them 2 options: $10 or leave now, I'm too busy????

Nope.

If somebody comes in with a key book, I'll sit them down and talk through their options...CGC, sell on consignment or sell to me outright.

My brother-in-law sold his collection about 10 years ago and found out that the FF 1 he bought from a local store had color touch, along with other books he purchased from the same place.

When did he purchase the book though? Color touch, from my understanding, was common place in the 70s and early 80s to the point that most dealers didn't mention it. On the flip side, most buyers were not aware enough to ask about it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.

I don't think that's the case, I was aware of restoration when I first started collecting & the dealer in Buffalo (where I got my books in the early 80's) used to even show us kids what colour touch looked like when he had examples of it from collections.

(shrug)

In the mid 80s, it was very common to see a dealer buy some BA black covers and be sitting there with a marker. As strange as it seems now, there was a time when restoration and color touch were not considered to be bad.

Bah, I disagree - my experience is very limited. Customer satisfaction goals vary from storefront w/pull list service vs. convention dealer...then & now.

Today's equivalent 'not bad' would be the guys pulling tattoos out of FF 252's for their ASM 238's

:baiting:

Did people do that? Are they distinguishable? I thought they were attached? I've never seen them in a raw copy.

they can do it-but a staple hole examination will reveal it

Absolutely.

He's looking for a profit, not a heist. And repeat business, not angry customers.

I'd rather make $10 a week off a customer for 10 years, than $500 off the same customer once.

It's basic business sense, it's also ethical and honest.

Your guy looks to be a keeper. (thumbs u

Nope.

If somebody comes in with a key book, I'll sit them down and talk through their options...CGC, sell on consignment or sell to me outright.

ok cause the guy's post who brought this up claimed that it would take up 'valuable time' and not be 'his job'. We're agreed that was a ridiculous comment.

Nope.

ok cause the guy's post who brought this up claimed that it would take up 'valuable time' and not be 'his job'. We're agreed that was a ridiculous comment.

(thumbs u

It's a key part of the job.

Nope.

(thumbs u

It's a key part of the job.

RIGHT? and good one btw

if I get a minute free next week I'm going to go to one of my LCS and take some pics. This store is immaculate, well stocked, and fun to visit. The owner is always helping customers and has had to hire two other employees to help sort books and restock.

This guy is always working in the store doing inventory, grading, stocking etc. I have also got a ton of great deals from him, and sold books on consignment for him. Not all comic shops are alike.

And one more thing, Flaming Telepath put a ton of work into opening his shop up as we all know. He maintains a great inventory and his sales threads are always very popular here. That doesn't happen because he's standing around eating Cheeto's.