• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dishonest comic store owners.

380 posts in this topic

What store was it?

dang can i get in trouble for saying it? i want to yell it from the mountaintop i think...hmmm...

Why would you get in trouble? You might help someone else from getting taken.

i know there's several lawyers in here-someone advise me-I want to tell

its not slander cause it's 100% true....

What store was it?

dang can i get in trouble for saying it? i want to yell it from the mountaintop i think...hmmm...

Don't lawyer up lol you have a better chance of a LCS coming after you because you know your general facts on them are not 100%

What store was it?

Don't lawyer up lol you have a better chance of a LCS coming after you because you know your general facts on them are not 100%

wait-what???? i know 100% he gave me $2 for ASM 129....

No,no I was talking about you other general statements about LCS.

oh-ok those were different stores-one of which is kaput.

actually there's enough info already given that a little googling will reveal the culprit

i'll do whatever Buzz thinks i should do

I did not know my opinion was valued that much lol

you're like the most level headed guy around plus your 3 AF 15's offer a sense of legitimacy

My favorite LCS is Dave Kapelka's. North Coast Nostalgia, in a suburb of Cleveland.

Whenever I went in there, I was greeted like I was someone important. Dave or his wife would ask me various things about how my life was going. They would ask me if I wanted to see a new collection they had in the back.

They waited on me hand and foot. But when I just wanted to look around, they were busy with various things. Stocking, pricing, waiting on other customers, and looking up things on the internet.

When I decided on this or that item or book. I would hand it to them and both (depending on who was working there that time of day), would say to me as they were ringing it up. "I'm going to take 10% off". I would say thank you, and that was that. I didn't negotiate or ask. They just did it.

The back issue books would be graded conservatively. The books would also be priced very competitively, and with the additional 10% off, it made them a bargain.

I have been in maybe 10 different LCS's in my life, and I have never had a bad experience.

Maybe it is the customer that is the problem, and not the store personnel. Some people are just flat out hard to get along with. No matter how far backwards you bend.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I would rank Dave and Gayle Kapelka among the best comic book dealers to do business with. Never been to their store but I've dealt with them often at shows they've set up at.

to be fair to comic store owners they do have to deal with a lot of behavior that can make them jaded-people calling up asking what X Force #2 is worth, other people coming in and saying they have action #1, people wanting them to hang up their drawings for sale or putting their self-published comics on the new comics rack, hearing the 'mom sold my comics at a yard sale' story for the bazillionth time etc it can wear on you after a while.....

to be fair to comic store owners they do have to deal with a lot of behavior that can make them jaded-people calling up asking what X Force #2 is worth, other people coming in and saying they have action #1, people wanting them to hang up their drawings for sale, hearing the 'mom sold my comics at a yard sale' story for the bazillionth time etc it can wear on you after a while.....

I was at a comic show in Ottawa a few years ago. It was in the basement of this municipal building and the space was shared with hockey card dealers. I was trudging through some boxes of drek (because that's all there was) and this woman pushing two kids in a stroller starts looking through boxes too, and then asks the dealer if he has a Detective Comics #27. He was irritated by the question, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Sorry, that was my Jack Handy story.

to be fair to comic store owners they do have to deal with a lot of behavior that can make them jaded-people calling up asking what X Force #2 is worth, other people coming in and saying they have action #1, people wanting them to hang up their drawings for sale, hearing the 'mom sold my comics at a yard sale' story for the bazillionth time etc it can wear on you after a while.....

I was at a comic show in Ottawa a few years ago. It was in the basement of this municipal building and the space was shared with hockey card dealers. I was trudging through some boxes of drek (because that's all there was) and this woman pushing two kids in a stroller starts looking through boxes too, and then asks the dealer if he has a Detective Comics #27. He was irritated by the question, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Sorry, that was my Jack Handy story.

he should have said 'aw I just sold it'....why get irritated - when life gives you lemons make lemonade....

Take your $20,000 car into a used car lot and see what they offer you for it.

What do you think he should offer for a $1,000 book.

Gee, I don't know, maybe a fair price? (shrug)

Sure, but what is a fair price? Guy walks into my shop with a short box of decent stuff.

Half of which I already have, and most of which isn't going to sell in the next month. What is it worth to me? I don't really care what it guides at, most stuff needs to be discounted to moveat all, heavily discounted to move quickly. I'm paying 50% on the dollar for this weeks books, which I know will be 90% sold in a week, so why would I pay the same percentage of guide for stuff that will take much longer to sell, and sof which some will sit forever. If I have a book in stock already , and it isn't selling at my $10 price, why devalue it by adding a second and or third copy? It is easy to say a fair price, but what is a fair price. Is it fair to the seller or fair to the buyer?

The OP was talking an ASM 129 that a store owner bought for $2 - that's what I was referring to. Did you even read the first post?

Take your $20,000 car into a used car lot and see what they offer you for it.

What do you think he should offer for a $1,000 book.

Gee, I don't know, maybe a fair price? (shrug)

Sure, but what is a fair price? Guy walks into my shop with a short box of decent stuff.

Half of which I already have, and most of which isn't going to sell in the next month. What is it worth to me? I don't really care what it guides at, most stuff needs to be discounted to moveat all, heavily discounted to move quickly. I'm paying 50% on the dollar for this weeks books, which I know will be 90% sold in a week, so why would I pay the same percentage of guide for stuff that will take much longer to sell, and sof which some will sit forever. If I have a book in stock already , and it isn't selling at my $10 price, why devalue it by adding a second and or third copy? It is easy to say a fair price, but what is a fair price. Is it fair to the seller or fair to the buyer?

The OP was talking an ASM 129 that a store owner bought for $2 - that's what I was referring to. Did you even read the first post?

EXACTLY!!

55555555555555555555.gif

My brother-in-law sold his collection about 10 years ago and found out that the FF 1 he bought from a local store had color touch, along with other books he purchased from the same place.

When did he purchase the book though? Color touch, from my understanding, was common place in the 70s and early 80s to the point that most dealers didn't mention it. On the flip side, most buyers were not aware enough to ask about it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.

I don't think that's the case, I was aware of restoration when I first started collecting & the dealer in Buffalo (where I got my books in the early 80's) used to even show us kids what colour touch looked like when he had examples of it from collections.

(shrug)

Back in the early eighties when I was fourteen I understood what color touch was and that it was a no-no to do it and not disclose it.

I remember being in a store in Salem, Oregon when I was a kid and watching the store owner touching up a book. As a kid you don;t have a six second delay, and I told him he couldn't do that. The response was 'get out.' lol