• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Strange Tales 111 - Grade In

17 posts in this topic

More Strange Tales! Yay! (I like Strange Tales, that's not so strange, is it?). Got this from a fellow boardie.

Top front edge has damage as visible. Spine has what was described as Marvel chipping. Blunting on FLBC. Marvel chipping on front right edge, very visible. Some non color breaking indentations above red arrow. Back in pretty good shape, but dirty as seen.

Book was advertised as

FN/VF to VF-

That's a pretty broad range imho and I'm unsure how to judge the chipping with the book.

Anyhow, 111 for your grading pleasure. Many thanks once again.

YspTcfI.jpg

vQjvYkp.jpg

Without the chipping and tears, the 7.0-7.5 range would seem reasonable. With the chipping I wouldn't consider it any better than 4.5, but CGC may differ. I don't really understand the leniency for Marvel chipping, it's not on every book, and while likely a result of a production defect leaving tears on the edge, the chips were not there to start with, but a result of handling and loss of suppleness. For me it's no different than any other book that has tears and pieces missing along the edge. And for me, multiple chips and tears along the edge means a book is nowhere near VF, but I realize plenty of people are less bothered than I am by it.

"Marvel Chipping" is recognized as a bindery/cutting/printing defect and as such does not result in the book getting "hammered" by CGC when it comes to grading. The over all appearance of this book is quite remarkable aside from the noticeable defects.

I'm at 7.0 IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif

Marvel Chipping given some consideration, but I don't see this book any higher than a 5.0

Here is an example of "Marvel Chipping" that is very similar to the ST 111.

AF 15

Yes AF 15 is a key issue but it still shouldn't set the bar for "Marvel Chipping" I still believe that this ST 111 issue is a 7.0 IMHO! smiley-gen130.gif

Marvel Chipping given some consideration, but I don't see this book any higher than a 5.0

Here is an example of "Marvel Chipping" that is very similar to the ST 111.

AF 15 CGC 7.0 with Marvel Chipping

Yes AF 15 is a key issue but it still shouldn't set the bar for "Marvel Chipping" I still believe that this ST 111 issue is a 7.0 IMHO! smiley-gen130.gif

That AF 15 might be a tad nicer as it lacks the roughness along the bottom, but either way it's overgraded IMHO. I see it sold for about the same as other 7.0s have recently on Heritage, so others must agree with the grade.

I'm as lenient as the next guy when it comes to production defects like miswraps and miscuts unless they are completely outrageous, but there isn't a consumer wear and tear equivalent to these types of defects. Bindry chips and creases I have of a bit of a problem with particularly in high grade, as these do have equivalent. If a chip or a crease lower the grade I don't see what difference it makes where they come from. And at some point you do have to consider production defects, like on books where larger chunks are missing due to tearing from a dull blade. I don't remember Marvel chipping getting a pass prior to CGC, but maybe it did. I dont want to sound like I'm knocking these books, as some books with chipping are otherwise pretty sweet, but to reiterate, I can't see calling a book with tears and pieces missing along the edge a 7.0, not when lesser damage that occurs after the book is sold would prevent a book from getting close to that grade.