• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current and All Time favorites?

31 posts in this topic

Just picked up issue 1 of Lazarus. Really like Michael Lark but not too familiar with too much of Greg Ruckas work.

Also read Pretty Deadly 1 and 2 but was lost within the story. Artwork was top notch. On the fence about picking up more issues

I'd have to say that Waid's mini-series "Empire" was one of my favorite all-time moderns. The concept where the bad guys win was fairly fresh to me. The supervillain controls the world...now how does he maintain his rule and keep the population under control.

Last year Waid mentioned that he'd like to come back to Empire and expand the universe. My fingers are crossed.

empire1_zps3aa98dd6.jpg

I'd have to say that Waid's mini-series "Empire" was one of my favorite all-time moderns. The concept where the bad guys win was fairly fresh to me. The supervillain controls the world...now how does he maintain his rule and keep the population under control.

Last year Waid mentioned that he'd like to come back to Empire and expand the universe. My fingers are crossed.

empire1_zps3aa98dd6.jpg

I loved that story and would be incredibly happy if they built on it. (thumbs u

Current Fav:

Saga

East of West

Harbinger

All Time:

Preacher

Very nice sig line you got there! :applause:

Speaking of preacher I was in midtown comics yesterday and two people in line in front of me had the collected editions in hand. The hype is real now that the show is gonna happen lol

I no longer follow recent american comic book series, and I am not familiar with most of them to make suggestions. I have just browsed/read a little Saga and the Walking Dead, which I don’t like.

But I wished to ask you about Daredevil: I don’t consider the current Marvel titles consistent with the Marvel age anymore, but I have always heard great praise about Mark Waid’s Daredevil.

I have browsed it, and also from the reviews I have read it sounds good, as apparently Waid recovered a lot of the character of pre-Miller times (I never entirely liked Miller). All of that said, would you suggest me to try it?

If I should list some modern favorite, I guess they would be more limited series, rather than series. Anyway, I could tentatively choose:

- The Marquis by Guy Davis;

- Hard Time by Steve Gerber;

- Hellboy and its spin-offs (up to some point);

- WE3 by Grant Morrison;

The more recent series which I have enjoyed most are KGB by Mangin/Kerfriden, and Koma by Wazem/Peeters, two french series, which i think aren’t available in english:

FD7buxXl.jpg j7XzMY2l.jpg

Mark Waid's Daredevil is fantastic. Normally I'd warn that I may be a bit biased being a huge DD fan but it's won lots of awards so clearly they're on to something.

btw valiant what part of Italy are you from if you don't mind me asking? I lived in Florence for 6 months a couple of years ago and loved it there. The food was (obviously) amazing, the people were really friendly and the women were :cloud9:

Thanks E. – did you live here for work?

I am in Modena, city of Ferrari (Maranello), Pavarotti the tenor and our renowned cathedral, the Duomo. :)

I think sooner or later I will have to try Daredevil and grab the first Waid issues. I did not like Waid on the Fantastic Four (my favorite series) but I think he knew Daredevil deeply, given the success, and the FF had been a short "exercise" for him. If Daredevil is good as I mean it will reassure me that only 99% of the Marvel efforts nowadays are to trash… lol

I am sorry so little european and foreign comics are translated in english (for the US audience): that KGB is an awesome example of what you could do with a limited series – as I was reading them I was saying «such a thing could have never been written in the same way if it was a modern american mini-series – for the very different cultural background.

You have: the cold war, a reflection on the diabolic, secret services and secret weapons (which happen to be of demonic nature as well), and a "rationalistic" (yet mysterious) ending. Very original.

Current favorites:

1. Saga

2. The Walking Dead

3. Sheltered

4. Think Tank

5. All New X-men

Honorable mentions: Todd The Ugliest Kid On Earth, Hawkguy, Revival, Manifest Destiny, GotG, Batman and anything by Scott Snyder.

All-time favorite:

Y: The Last Man