• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko Sign letter Worth??

45 posts in this topic

I would have to think the context of the letter is how it's value should be weighted.

I have a Steve Ditko letter. It was intended as a little letter writing project for my oldest son who had some questions to ask Ditko after I read the first 20 issues to him as bedtime reading. The response was a bit daft to be honest, because he remarks he's been long removed from Spidey. It is signed by him (pretty sure it's not a secretarial signature) and I'm also certain he penned it. I don't put a lot of "hard" value on it, and unless the context of a letter relates to something historically significant (perhaps a letter written to the editor or another artist), pertains to his work or was penned during his employment term, I don't see much more than a sentimental value.

Would be interesting to hear others opinions on it.

I'm with you comicwiz. Especially if it was a personalized letter the resale potential is very low. My guess would be maybe $100 at best. It really depends on when the letter is from, what it is describing/talking about and its provenance.

Didn't someone have a letter from Ditko where he wrote back he wasn't going to take the time to write them a letter and signed it, with the closing being "Signed, Steve Ditko"?

There was some crazy letter like that posted a few years back that brought a laugh. At least, I think it was real.

There is a lot of debate also over whether Steve actually signs his letters. Again, I see some die hard fans probably spending even more than $300 on a letter, but I imagine the value starts to climb if it's a legit Ditko signature, and significantly more depending on the context of the letter. I imagine if a letter surfaced that even hinted at any claim of deserving sole credit for creating Spider-Man, it would be worth a boatload of money.

Isn't it really easy to get one I mean you can find his work place address pretty easily, and write to him.All the letters I've seen have just been of him writing back to people saying he doesn't sign autographs, and that he doesn't answer questions about his time at Marvel.

Could someone PM me the address? I would like to ask him a few questions that do NOT focus on his time period with Marvel, comic books per se or things like that.

Yea, but his fan mail address is the same as his work address, it also is registered as a small business with less then three people working there. Plus with what I've heard he works by himself, so it could be him that signed those letters, just in different ways. In fact I've even found what I think is his work number where you can call and ask him, but that would be crossing the line.

I'm going to write to him and say Steve, can you tell me word for word what was the worst argument you ever had with Stan Lee also I'd like your unvarnished opinion of him. I also understand you have tons of original pages that are just sitting around-can I have them? I also need an artist for a superhero story I'm writing called 'The Arachnid'-would you be interested in drawing it for back-end pay?

A quote from the letter...judge and prepared to be judge" No one escape it. To remain silent is worse.

I have to say, what you have sounds very different and a lot more interesting than the usual fan mail turn-down responses he's given over the years. Is there any way you'd be willing to share a scan of the letter here or by PM? Is it signed in pen, stamp or autopen?

There have been turndown responses from Steven Ditko's address that have been posted online. But like Comicwiz noted already, you don't know who is responding as the signatures differ.

steve-ditko-letter-february-2012.jpg

steve-ditko-letter-thanks-for-the-invitation.jpg

steve-ditko-sean-howe-letter-history-of-marvel-book.jpg

Those all look from the same hand to me. The individual strokes of the individual letters are all the same, or I should say, within the same narrow field.

Didn't someone have a letter from Ditko where he wrote back he wasn't going to take the time to write them a letter and signed it, with the closing being "Signed, Steve Ditko"?

There was some crazy letter like that posted a few years back that brought a laugh. At least, I think it was real.

There was a letter from JD Salinger on Antiques roadshow that was the same. To avoid giving a full signature he gave his initials, just like Ditko.