• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schomburg Top 10 Covers - RESULTS ARE IN

73 posts in this topic

If we had another round where everyone had one vote for their favorite Schomburg cover you might find that in aggregate Timely covers were preferred, but since they dominate the top 10 list,this would be unsurprising.

Thanks for correcting my faulty use of the stats. I agree with your above statement. I would like to see an additional poll where only vote each is allowed for these final group of covers to see what happens.

What are the top 10 Schomburg covers? The Boardies have spoken :sumo:

Last night while most of us were sleeping, GA do-gooder David Merryweather compiled the results. Subsequently I verified, and here you have it:

1. Suspense Comics #3 ............... (70 votes)

2. Startling Comics #49 ................ (53 votes)

3. All Select Comics #1 ................ (51 votes)

4. U.S.A. Comics #7 ..................... (44 votes)

5. Captain America Comics #3 ..... (42 votes)

6. Marvel Mystery Comics #40 ..... (41 votes)

7. Captain America Comics #27 ... (39 votes)

8. Marvel Mystery Comics #44 ..... (34 votes)

9. Terrific Comics #5 ..................... (33 votes)

10.Tie: Marvel Mystery Comics #46 & Human Torch #12 ... (32 votes @)

Methodology Notes.

Each board member could select his/her top 10 covers amongst the 31 semi-finalists. Some boardies chose fewer. There were 888 total votes, which means at least 89 boardies voted and likely somewhere closer to 100. So, given that Suspense Comics 3 received 70 votes, one can assume that approximately 70% of boardies placed Suspense 3 in their top 10.

History of Polling Process.

Here's the thread that prompted the polls: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7286520&fpart=1

Series of Polls: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7344806#Post7344806 (INCLUDES THE MOST INFORMATION ABOUT METHODOLOGY AND PROCESS)

Final Poll: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7402264#Post7402264 (SEE RAW RESULTS ON 1ST PAGE OF THIS THREAD)

Acknowledgements.

Thanks to all the Boardies who voted!

Special thanks to Cheetah for suggesting this poll and providing so many images!

Finally, a big thanks to David Merryweather who helped with both the conceptual and technical aspects of the entire process!

Can I make a suggestion? Let's take this top 10 list (11 actually) and have a second poll where you can only make 1 vote. I have a feeling that might show a different result. Either way it will be fun as heck! :banana:

I might also suggest we include large size scans for this last round.

If you didn't vote for All Select #2 there is something wrong with your eyeballs. :sumo:

this is true. i like it slightly more than #1, frankly.

the cap and torch poses on the 1 are better, but that big gun cap is holding with the green cover on the 2 is unique

If you didn't vote for All Select #2 there is something wrong with your eyeballs. :sumo:

the cap and torch poses on the 1 are better, but that big gun cap is holding with the green cover on the 2 is unique

The #2 cover is easier to appreciate when you see the comic or a large scan. Much of the appeal is lost when you can't distinguish the details.

The #2 cover is easier to appreciate when you see the comic or a large scan. Much of the appeal is lost when you can't distinguish the details.

yah the bridge is a mess :)

I love all of Schomburg's cover art, but the variety and styles present a quandary much akin to Goldilocks and porridge.

From an artistic standpoint, some of Schomburg's covers are just too busy (especially his war themed action covers) and others are too sparse (his post-war Xela airbrushed covers). Of course none of his airbrushed covers are too hot for my taste, and none of his war covers leave me cold, but there are some which have just the right flavor, and indeed, I've become a connoisseur of sorts. :grin:

From my artist's eye the most appealing of his covers have a solid center of interest that compliments background action and doesn't distract from the foreground action.

Random examples of some of my favorite Schomburg mayhem:

a1bce008-0753-4cd2-a4c9-bf3fe5349f28_zps803d72cb.jpg

ba7ed08a-6500-430e-be7e-d3687d2108e3_zps76b0af3d.jpg

6b16bdf5-ed3e-4e69-9e1b-eec5b75dacd4_zps672bbd8c.jpg

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Indeed, I think this poll should be updated and revisited next year, perhaps around Alex's 110th B-Day (May 10th) as a celebration of a long successful career that's brought so much pleasure to us GA geeks.

BTW, everyone should give a virtual round of applause to Vision75 for putting this labor-of-love together. Co-ordinating a poll with a wide variety of submitted scans is no easy task.

My cyber-toast to Keston for a superb effort (and a real one if we should cross paths at a con)... smiley-eatdrink003.gif

Cheers,

Cat

OK, a round of applause it is...

....................... :golfclap:

............... :golfclap:.....:golfclap:

........... :golfclap:............ :golfclap:

................ :golfclap:..... :golfclap:

......................... :golfclap:

:acclaim: Thanks for the kind words. And, Cat, will gladly take you up on that beer.

The biggest surprise to me was the absence of Daring Mystery #1 in the top 10. It seemed that Schomburg's early pulp-like covers were over-represented in the 31 semi-finalists but weren't popular enough to break into the top 10.
+1 - I was a little surprised as well. My top 3 were the actual top 3 from the poll, but not in the same order. I suppose that makes me mainstream. This was great stuff! Thanks to all involved!