• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a difference in grading between 4 free and paying?

27 posts in this topic

Okay, i have heard things on other posts about using the four free coupons from CGC Premium level is dangerous on key issues. This was my plan to send and I have heard that they grade the coupon levels lower. Stories of cutting slabs an re submiting for higher grades. Whats all of your thoughts. Here are my four i plan on sending. The Hulk 181 isnt great a 6.5 at best but the Deathlock is amazing like 9.4+.

2q093ig.jpg

Okay, i have heard things on other posts about using the four free coupons from CGC Premium level is dangerous on key issues. This was my plan to send and I have heard that they grade the coupon levels lower. Stories of cutting slabs an re submiting for higher grades. Whats all of your thoughts. Here are my four i plan on sending. The Hulk 181 isnt great a 6.5 at best but the Deathlock is amazing like 9.4+.

2q093ig.jpg

hear something new every day here. what a place. :cloud9:

Considering that all books are graded anonymously, I don't see how the graders would know something was submitted on a coupon. Also, if there were any shenanigans going on, CGC would have an incentive to grade coupon submissions higher, not lower, to encourage more submissions. A company like CGC has too much to lose to be engaged in any questionable conduct. You can go ahead and ignore the urban legends you've been hearing.

Considering that all books are graded anonymously, I don't see how the graders would know something was submitted on a coupon. Also, if there were any shenanigans going on, CGC would have an incentive to grade coupon submissions higher, not lower, to encourage more submissions. A company like CGC has too much to lose to be engaged in any questionable conduct. You can go ahead and ignore the urban legends you've been hearing.

hear something new every day here. what a place. :cloud9:

It's a myth. What would the motivation be? Spend money, join a club and then get screwed? Yeah, smart move. The thing is people who join for the first time expect their books to be treated more leniently and when they send in books that have defects that they overlooked they believe it's because the CGC has something against them.

It's a myth. What would the motivation be? Spend money, join a club and then get screwed? Yeah, smart move. The thing is people who join for the first time expect their books to be treated more leniently and when they send in books that have defects that they overlooked they believe it's because the CGC has something against them.

THIS!!!

I've sent stuff in on a coupon several times , and sometimes the grades seemed overly tough, and others a little soft, but either way they were never more than two grades off my opinion. Midgrade books especially seem to have a broad range of opinion, and I'm sure people have resubmitted coupon graded books and gotten higher grades, and I'm sure some have gotten lower grades as well. CGC isn't 100% consistent.