• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris hemsworth on an Avengers 4? Worth it or not

53 posts in this topic

I love SS books in general, but I'd never get an actor sig on a silver age key. Have you thought about picking up one of the Thor movie cover books instead?

+1 to this. I love SS and dig having actors sign books of their likeness but not something like this. I'd get a more modern book.

Chris Hemsworth is Attending Wizard World Sacramento and I am debating on getting him to sign my Avengers 4. I thought asking the CGC community would help me make a choice.

Oh…HELL no….

I really want a Captain America #6 CGC SS but everybody had Stan Lee sign the thing. WHY? He didn't create Cap, didn't create Bucky, and didn't create the Winter Soldier. I see Hemsworth on an Avengers 4 the same way.

….

Damn it Doug. Stop sugar-coating everything!

Stan Lee on every thing is becoming a real source of angst for me. I understand it's their book and they are free to do as they please, but

me in the goat , this is getting ridiculous. I forgot who teased Ray Bradbury once, it may have been Harlan Ellison, anyway they teased him about signing so much that only his unsigned books would have any increased value. That's where we are headed with Stan Lee….

Chris Hemsworth is Attending Wizard World Sacramento and I am debating on getting him to sign my Avengers 4. I thought asking the CGC community would help me make a choice.

Oh…HELL no….

I really want a Captain America #6 CGC SS but everybody had Stan Lee sign the thing. WHY? He didn't create Cap, didn't create Bucky, and didn't create the Winter Soldier. I see Hemsworth on an Avengers 4 the same way.

….

Stan Lee on every thing is becoming a real source of angst for me. I understand it's their book and they are free to do as they please, but

me in the goat , this is getting ridiculous. I forgot who teased Ray Bradbury once, it may have been Harlan Ellison, anyway they teased him about signing so much that only his unsigned books would have any increased value. That's where we are headed with Stan Lee….

It does seem to be something that the market will have to deal with. I have always believed the books that will hold their value best will be books that SL had a direct connection to. I really wonder how anyone is going to be stoked to have a Stan Lee autographed copy of the Morbius Skottie Young variant. But, whatevs!

OhHELL no.

me in the goat , this is getting ridiculous. I forgot who teased Ray Bradbury once, it may have been Harlan Ellison, anyway they teased him about signing so much that only his unsigned books would have any increased value. That's where we are headed with Stan Lee.

I'm inclined to agree considering how many people will take their horribly handled books, get Stan's sig & CGC them -- expecting the same $$$ amount as someone selling the same book with the same sig but at a higher grade.

I'd understand paying money for a not great copy of a key book (Amazing Spider-man #1, Avengers #1, etc) signed by Stan Lee. Don't give me some crappy looking reprint with his sig and expect me to throw money at you like I'm trying to score at the BADA-BING CLUB.

:frustrated: My pet peeve is the rampant Stan Lee sig on NEW MUTANTS #98 when he had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Get Nicieza, get Liefeld, hell get the colorist but why get his sig on that book? Same with the 1st App of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. He had nothing to do with that book but people pay to have him sign it anyway.

What're you gonna do? (shrug)

I'm inclined to agree considering how many people will take their horribly handled books, get Stan's sig & CGC them -- expecting the same $$$ amount as someone selling the same book with the same sig but at a higher grade.

I'd understand paying money for a not great copy of a key book (Amazing Spider-man #1, Avengers #1, etc) signed by Stan Lee. Don't give me some crappy looking reprint with his sig and expect me to throw money at you like I'm trying to score at the BADA-BING CLUB.

:frustrated: My pet peeve is the rampant Stan Lee sig on NEW MUTANTS #98 when he had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Get Nicieza, get Liefeld, hell get the colorist but why get his sig on that book? Same with the 1st App of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. He had nothing to do with that book but people pay to have him sign it anyway.

What're you gonna do? (shrug)

At least he edited the GotG book (Marvel Super-Heores #18, right?) but I'm not going to defend the cluster *spoon* that is CGC SS Stan Lee books. You are right on the money about the New Mutants book, though.

C'est la vie!

The jaw dropper for me was talking to a guy at WWChicago who had one of the newer pedigrees (Suscha News or something) copy of Avengers 54, when that book was just exploding. Gorgeous, snowy white - unbelievable copy. He was soliciting opinions about about having Stan Lee sign it, purely for economic purposes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but dayum! I don't know if it got done or not. I suspect that it did.

The jaw dropper for me was talking to a guy at WWChicago who had one of the newer pedigrees (Suscha News or something) copy of Avengers 54, when that book was just exploding. Gorgeous, snowy white - unbelievable copy. He was soliciting opinions about about having Stan Lee sign it, purely for economic purposes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but dayum! I don't know if it got done or not. I suspect that it did.

There had to be 1000 or more other, better books for a sig. But hey, if he wants to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person…

The problem is, the premium shown on GPA for Stan's sig on Silver Age is really driving this.

His $100 sig is pushing the gap between same grade blues and yellows by 15-20% or more on some books. On an AF 15 the gap is $500 or more depending on grade. So people with access to that data will simply put Stan on almost anything SA.

Would an actors sig on a non photo cover increase the book over time? IMO I don't think so. It would devalue the book when the next actor comes along to do the role. Think Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield. I would think that Tobey would not be looked at the same as it once was on a non photo cover book.

Would an actors sig on a non photo cover increase the book over time? IMO I don't think so. It would devalue the book when the next actor comes along to do the role. Think Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield. I would think that Tobey would not be looked at the same as it once was on a non photo cover book.

6ttve.jpg

It would for me on the right book. A really low grade ASM 122 would be perfect, or that Green Goblin face cover from 2004 or so.

You can say the same about Adam West and Michael Keaton. The difference is that there was a good number of years separating them as opposed to the Spider-man example you cite where there were only a few years of separation between films.

It's very debatable. I tend to think that the person who made the most impact with the character in TV or Film should sign a book. It's really up to the individual. I'm sure there's someone out there that wants to collect all the sigs of actors who played Superman, Batman or Spider-man.

Whether it'll elevate the price of a book, only time will tell. Someone with all those Spider-man actors' sigs on a book would own a unique piece among the ocean of Stan Lee signed Spider-man books.

It did - he didn't care one whit about the pedigree, it was all about trying to squeeze out a couple of extra $$ with the Stan Lee sig.

As far as I remember, it was the same guy who got the Boston copy of Avengers #4 signed as well.

I tend to think that the person who made the most impact with the character in TV or Film should sign a book.

First of all, that is unbelievably subjective. Who is going to decide whether Lou Ferrigno, Ed Norton, Mark Ruffalo or Eric Bana made the most impact? Obviously, it is a good way for you to decide how to choose amongst the actors, but I don't think it will play out that way for the market as a whole.

I would love a Garfield or a Mcguire. I would love to have the actors from the terrible Roger Corman film on an FF book. I have Val Kilmer and Adam West, and would love Keaton and Clooney. I don't need Christian Bale. His tirade really made me dislike him.

To sum up, for me, any actor that has a connection to a super-hero or other comic role that I have appreciated, I would want to have on SS.

To sum up, for me, any actor that has a connection to a super-hero or other comic role that I have appreciated, I would want to have on SS.

That's the key right here.

IMO I wouldn't pay for an actors sig for the purpose of resale although others would or do. If you like the actor and enjoyed watching them on the big screen in the role then go for it.