• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgm- Tales of Suspense 1 -GRADE IS IN

38 posts in this topic

Definitely 7.0 .
Ah, you've seen the wisdom in my "top left to downwards" CGC mid grade rule. :acclaim::insane:

I want to know this rule!

What's the first part of the book you see when grading? The top left corner. That's our orientation marker for reading in the west/first impression and it's the same for grading. It's also how we usually reorient ourselves to giving the whole book another look after we're undecided. The quality of the top left corner can swing grades 1-3 points on low to lower mid grade copies based on this IMO.

Or maybe I am completely insane. hm

I could have seen this a 5.5 and i could have seen this a 7.0. Lost some sleep. Tough one to grade as most mid to upper middle grade books are.

Hoping for 6.5 and got it!!!! So thrilled. Rarely shows up in this grade and the 11 higher copies just ain't showing up on the market so glad i pounced on this upgraded copy.

Definitely 7.0 .
Ah, you've seen the wisdom in my "top left to downwards" CGC mid grade rule. :acclaim::insane:

What's the first part of the book you see when grading? The top left corner. That's our orientation marker for reading in the west/first impression and it's the same for grading. It's also how we usually reorient ourselves to giving the whole book another look after we're undecided. The quality of the top left corner can swing grades 1-3 points on low to lower mid grade copies based on this IMO.

When grading in hand I look at the right corners first, top and bottom, as thaose are the places most likely to show creasing, then at the spine, then at the right edge, and top and bottom. Finally I look at the center. If I miss something at first, it tends to be in the logo. Of course if there is a major flaw that jumps out, the eye will go to that first. With a large scan I have to scroll, it's the top that gets graded first.

i'm sure we all grade different ways. I tend to do a page count first, centerfold check, and look at the staples. I want to make sure the books all there before I go any further.

Then I hold the book on edge and look across the spine fold for missing paper, flaking and splits. Then I look at all of the edges, outside and inside.

I also think natural light shows alof more defects than not. Just my 2c

Definitely 7.0 .

Upon further review, I have edited my "top left to downward" rule.

I could have seen this a 5.5 and i could have seen this a 7.0. Lost some sleep. Tough one to grade as most mid to upper middle grade books are.

Hoping for 6.5 and got it!!!! So thrilled. Rarely shows up in this grade and the 11 higher copies just ain't showing up on the market so glad i pounced on this upgraded copy.

Congratulations! I agreed with your 6.5 assessment but felt it was too high a grade for me to give based solely on the front cover! But again congratualtions.gif