• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

The posts here that express their expectation CGC be 100% perfect with their restoration and trimming detection are missing the point that CGC is not now, has never been, and has never claimed to be perfect in these regards.. They have stated clearly that while they believe they do an outstanding job with detecting restoration and trimming (and I have no reason to doubt this), they are fallible and sometimes err.

Once that concept is understood, it is also easy to understand that every resubmission comes with the small risk that not only the grade but also the label color may change upon re-grading.

+1. Stinks when it happens but it happens.

Sorry guys, but in the real world (i.e. not in fanboyland), businesses are expected to make up for their errors. Make good with the customer. At least the ones who want to survive.

If CGC were a different type of company operating in a different market fulfilling the perceived needs of a different customer base, they would be expect to fix the situation. And making Dan pay again is not fixing the problem.

So what was CGC supposed to do? Granted a mistake was made when the books were originally graded with blue labels but they should not be liable for doing their job.

Its splitting hairs, but just because the resto wasn't caught the first pass through CGC, does not necessarily mean a mistake was made, although that certainly is possible (probable). It is entirely possible that resto check techniques at the time were properly employed but simply weren't capable of detecting the resto. Was the result wrong, yes, but that's not necessarily a mistake.

Think of it like steroids in baseball, cheaters keep improving resto (and making it harder to detect), and sometimes the tests (even though they're properly employed by well trained professionals) don't or can't catch the violations, or a percentage of them.

Now this probably doesn't make people feel better about CGC in general, but if you thought they ALWAYS caught and continue to catch 100% of restoration and NEVER have false positives for resto...well you're wrong.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that both books were re-checked today, and both were restored. They were checked and checked again

While it doesn't say much for the grading a few years ago, it at least gives me confidence in the grading consistency today.

Harshen called me personally to give me the bad news. After a nice conversation, and many apologies, we came to a reasonable resolution.

Im not going to go into details, but I will say Harshen went above and beyond to take care of this.

It doesn't change the fact that there are books out there in blue labels that could have resto on them, but I feel much better about CGC's customer service

Can't ask more than 'going above and beyond' to do you right. :applause:

Your creepiest post was early on...

1 was an old label from eBay. The other was from a very reputable Boardie. I don't think there was any foul play

Basically a random sampling of two. The odds have to be beyond astronomical. Like winning at resto-powerball crazy odds.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that both books were re-checked today, and both were restored. They were checked and checked again

While it doesn't say much for the grading a few years ago, it at least gives me confidence in the grading consistency today.

Harshen called me personally to give me the bad news. After a nice conversation, and many apologies, we came to a reasonable resolution.

Im not going to go into details, but I will say Harshen went above and beyond to take care of this.

It doesn't change the fact that there are books out there in blue labels that could have resto on them, but I feel much better about CGC's customer service

Can't ask more than 'going above and beyond' to do you right. :applause:

Your creepiest post was early on...

1 was an old label from eBay. The other was from a very reputable Boardie. I don't think there was any foul play

Basically a random sampling of two. The odds have to be beyond astronomical. Like winning at resto-powerball crazy odds.

Yes, but from a Bayesian perspective wouldn't we have to factor in and adjust the probability based on the additional knowledge that CGC may have gotten better at detecting restoration? :baiting::grin:

All kidding aside, it is sad to hear both books came back with restoration but glad to hear CGC is willing to try and help in some way. At the start of this thread I would not have bet there was any chance for that.

Glad you got some kind of closure that helps in this whole situation .

Wish this whole sordid mess never happened to you Dan .

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you were satisfied with the resolution.

Has CGC come up with better ways to detect resto?

Would like to know...............

Find out the old fashioned way. Try sneaking something past them.

Would just like something from them officially. I know the "secrets" to all this stuff is guarded under lock and key, but a statement stating the above would be nice. Do THEY feel more confident detecting resto vs 5/10+ years ago.

Would just like something from them officially. I know the "secrets" to all this stuff is guarded under lock and key, but a statement stating the above would be nice. Do THEY feel more confident detecting resto vs 5/10+ years ago.

FWIW - I think they are better now than they were then

I said it before and I'll say it again. To keep things honest CGC really should consider adding pictures of restoration detection with graders notes if purchased. This would really back them on what they are saying is resto when situations like this come up again. Keeps everyone in the loop better on both sides. I got a Ms. Marvel #1 back that said it had slight resto on the book, I'd love to know exactly where it was but I have no clue I just have to go by their word that they saw it. Not really sure I like the idea of having to just "take it" so to speak without having the proof of what they saw.

I said it before and I'll say it again. To keep things honest CGC really should consider adding pictures of restoration detection with graders notes if purchased. This would really back them on what they are saying is resto when situations like this come up again. Keeps everyone in the loop better on both sides. I got a Ms. Marvel #1 back that said it had slight resto on the book, I'd love to know exactly where it was but I have no clue I just have to go by their word that they saw it. Not really sure I like the idea of having to just "take it" so to speak without having the proof of what they saw.

The graders notes should note the location of the CT

Wow. This thread died a silent death. Guess squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If you have a problem with CGC, just start a thread and everything is resolved with no details on how it was resolved.

Since two pages back is an awfully long way to look...

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you were satisfied with the resolution.

+1

The graders notes should note the location of the CT

From my experience CT is rarely on one precise location. Even newer notes, where they have been keeping more detail, will state a broad scope for flaws. Ex: 'BC Lite wear all edges'. I suspect notes for CT would be similar.