• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I made the switch; you should too

35 posts in this topic

Right. To be precise a "mil" is 1/1000 of an inch.

And Chris, the virtue of Mylar in the comics world is it is 100% free of plasticizers and other substances that can migrate out of the bag and in to what is inside the bag. PVCs are particularly nasty in that regard. In the comics world, the alternative to Mylar is sometimes referred to as "poly" which can mean either polypropylene or polyester-- not as stable as Mylar, but much better than PVC.

Cheers,

Z. (geek also in things other than comics!)

A question aimed towards the board in general:

What size of bags and boards do you put your comics in? In other words.....do you put modern size comics into modern size bags and boards? Or, do you go with oversized bags and boards. Such as putting Modern comics into Standard or Silver size bags and boards.......Silver comics into Golden or Super Golden size bags and boards.....etc.?

The reason I ask, is that I opted for the BCE Mylar "Standard" Sized Time-Loks bags (4 mil) and boards for my better modern comics, since they are a little larger than the modern size. I'm really glad I did this. When I put the comic in the bag along with the board.....it is a very snug fit. I would have to think that the "modern" size bags would have been too small for the modern books......which doesn't make much sense to me.

Now, granted, the 4 mil bags are very thick and don't mold to the comics like the thinner bags will.......but what are your thoughts?

I had this problem with the E. Gerber Modern-sized 4-mil mylars--I couldn't fit any comic at ALL in those things! It's insane. Looking at both Gerber's and Cole's web sites, it looks like both of their modern-sized 4-mil Mylars are 7" wide...so I'm like you, I don't get it. I've got an opened pack of 50 modern-sized 4-mils that I can't use and Gerber wouldn't take back (I returned 550 others that I hadn't opened); kind of pisses me off again thinking about it.

And the best thing of all was when I laid a book bagged in mylar next to a copy of the same book bagged with a Poly. The difference in display is staggering.
I forgot to comment on this...you're SO right. Polypropylene displays a lot better than polyethylene, and Mylites/Arklites blow them both away by far. The way they look--shiny, smooth, and ULTRA-clear--makes it almost worth the price even if you ignored the advantage of not having to swap them out periodically.

Went to a convention today and was thinking, "boy and these NM Bronze books will look even BETTER once I get them into my bags at home!" They really reflect light in an aesthetically pleasing way.

I prefer double-bagging my comics using Bill Cole Arklites (1-mil mylites) with a 42-mil Cole Time X-Tender (these things are awesome), and then I put the comic into a 4-mil mylar (Cole or Gerber).

The clarity and thickness of the 2-mil Gerber Mylites are nice, but I find the flap to be too rigid. As a result, the potential is there to damage the comic upon sliding it in and out of the bag.

Yea, I double bag Mylites into 4-mil mylar also; I think that's the absolute best way to bag and couldn't be more pleased with it. I use the 2-mil Mylites; I guess you could cut the comic on the flap, but I'm careful enough to where I don't think I've ever come close to doing that.

What size of bags and boards do you put your comics in? In other words.....do you put modern size comics into modern size bags and boards? Or, do you go with oversized bags and boards. Such as putting Modern comics into Standard or Silver size bags and boards.......Silver comics into Golden or Super Golden size bags and boards.....etc.?

My comic collection primarily consists of post 1980 books. I collect according to what I can afford, so I collect Bronze/Modern Age books. Most Bronze Age books are valued under $10, and most Modern Age books are valued under $5, so I use E. Gerber 1 Mil Mylar (Mylites) and Acid-Free "Halfback" boards for my relatively inexpensive books. I could probably purchase a package of 50 - 100 thicker (2 or 4 Mil) Mylar sleeves to protect the better (more valuable) books.

I prefer the "one size fits all" method...well not exactly, but chances are I'll never own a Golden Age book, so I go with Silver Age size 1 mil mylar sleeves and boards. I prefer a larger size for a couple of reasons: 1.) they pack better in boxes, by this I mean, instead of having a box with Silver, Bronze, Modern Age sized sleeves and boards, I have a box with all Silver Age sleeves and boards for my Bronze/Modern books. I don't have to worry about the edges of the book sliding off the board, and this can be a real [spine] problem when books are packed tightly in a box. 2.) I prefer to have a little "grabbing" room. In other words, I can pick up a Bronze/Modern book in a Silver sleeve w/board without touching the actual book.

While I'm at it, I'll explain how I stack my books in my boxes. I stack the books vertically so that I can see the cover of each issue, but with pamplet books, I stack them rightside up, and upside down (spine left and then spine right). The reason I do this is to try and keep the spines flatter. If you stack comic books so that they are laying down, and all of them facing up, with all the spines on your left, when you stack they high enough they will bow.

Do those E. Gerber 1 mil Mylites stick together? I've seen some 1-mil mylars that stick together BADLY, so badly it's difficult to get them apart, but I'm not sure who made them. I've only used Gerber's 2 mil mylites; they stick a little but not too badly.

I'm using the Standard size bags and half-backs for all my comics. Since I only have modern books (so far), the bags are a little bit larger than I absolutely need. I based that decision on some advice I got on these boards and based on my own trials with "modern" bags. They're very snug and putting a comic into one with a board can be a harrowing experience. With the Standard bags and boards, which are 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch respectively wider than the modern sized ones, that problem doesn't exist. It also makes it possible to bag double-sized and thicker format books.

When I get to the silver age books in my collection (only few I have are all Thors), then I'll get silver age Mylites and half-backs. As far as golden age books goes, I doubt I'll ever get any but if I do, I'll worry about that then.

I use Silver age bags for everything (I collect silver/bronze/some new stuff). Modern size bags are too tight fitting and not worth the potential to damage the books. Also I like the one size fits all approach. grin.gif

Does anyone in here use BCE Life-X-Tenders backing boards? I've got some of my comics backed with them and the concept of them seems pretty awesome.

Here's the description off of their website:

LIFE-X-TENDER: This ultimate acid free backing board is made with a thin layer of activated charcoal laminated between two sheets of true archival acid free boards. Life-X-Tenders absorbs and neutralizes the contaminants in comic book pages and retards the aging process.

Do those E. Gerber 1 mil Mylites stick together? I've seen some 1-mil mylars that stick together BADLY, so badly it's difficult to get them apart, but I'm not sure who made them. I've only used Gerber's 2 mil mylites; they stick a little but not too badly.

Last year I ordered approximately 3,000 1 mil Mylar sleeves. 1,000 from BCE, and 2,000 from E. Gerber. I didn't encounter any serious sticking together problems, that is not to say that they don't stick together slightly, but it's not a problem, at least not for me. I simply open a package of 100 Mylar sleeves, open a package of 100 Halfbacks, and put the boards into the sleeves BEFORE putting comic books into them. Thinking back, I recall that BCE mylar sleeves have a tendency to stick together to a greater extent. If I remember correctly I threw away 1 of the 1,000 BCE mylar sleeves because of a split seam (perhaps from sticking together?). Still 1 out of 1,000 is not too bad. Between BCE and Gerber, I would MUCH rather have Mylar from E. Gerber, because there is a slight difference in quality between them, at least in comparing 1 mil Mylar from both companies. I can say by experience that I have had NO problems with 1 mil Mylar from Gerber, and my next order for 1 mil Mylar will be from Gerber.

Has anybody else ordered 1 mil Mylar from both companies and compared them? If so, what do you think?

BTW, Fantasic_Four, congratulations on the mention in the OS Grading Guide, and I love that Franklin Mint Spider-Man statue you have. Only one that even comes close IMO, is the Bowen BRONZE Spider-Man statue. wink.gif

I know the bronze statues are pricy, which makes sense because of what they're made of--but I don't get their appeal!! They're not painted--what's the point?!!? They never look as good as the painted resin statues to my eyes.

If the $4.00/100 comic bags are archival virgin material and acid free, then why aren't the just as permanent a solution?

My post that you replied to was regarding "backing boards" only.

But what "bags" are you referring to? Give some specifics and I, or we, can answer your question better.

If you are referring to "Polypropylene" bags that are listed as "100% Archival Safe" and "Acid Free"......that is misleading. Unlike Mylar, these types of bags will break down over time and damage your books.

Click here to learn more about why mylar is better and see it compared to these cheaper bags.

Also...click here for answers to some frequently asked questions on archival storage methods.