• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1 (First Print) vs. X-men #1 (1963)

71 posts in this topic

There will always be more people wanting an x-men 1 than a tmnt 1. I'd rather have the x-men.

:roflmao: You can get the X-Men#1 anytime,TMNT#1 not so much.

My vote TMNT#1 (thumbs u

What I mean is, there is a much larger X-Men fan base, then TMNT fan base. And as a result, I would argue X-Men 1 is a much safer investment.

There will always be more people wanting an x-men 1 than a tmnt 1. I'd rather have the x-men.

My vote TMNT#1 (thumbs u

You can get a TMNT #1 pretty much anytime too :baiting:

My vote TMNT#1 (thumbs u

With money (and no care to market pricing) you can pretty much get almost anything anytime…

Long term TMNT 1 has a much larger growth opportunity.

X-men 1 is a great book to buy ("safe" money, relatively speaking) and it too likely has growth opportunity as well (particularly in low-mid grades).

Buy what you love first. With time, you can likely own both.

My vote TMNT#1 (thumbs u

There's 2674 Graded X-Men#1s on the Census. I'm sure there are plenty more raw copies than that

There's 486 Graded TMNT#1s on the Census.

C'mon which one would you choose? :makepoint:

My vote TMNT#1 (thumbs u

With money (and no care to market pricing) you can pretty much get almost anything anytime…

Long term TMNT 1 has a much larger growth opportunity.

X-men 1 is a great book to buy ("safe" money, relatively speaking) and it too likely has growth opportunity as well (particularly in low-mid grades).

Buy what you love first. With time, you can likely own both.

That's it.

From a personal standpoint I'd take the TMNT 1 all day long. Much more limited print run (3,275 for the TMNT and more than that for the x-men #1) and it has something that X-men doesn't. TMNT has basically run non-stop since it's original inception in 1985. In 1987 the original cartoon premiered, it ran until 1996. In 2003 it was resurrected and ran until 2010, ending due to VIacom's acquisition of the Property. In 2012 the show was moved over to Nickelodeon and still continues to run. During that time there were 4 movies (with a fifth forthcoming) Kids are growing up watching the Turtles and will want the first comic in the same way I grew up in the 80s watching the original cartoon and wanted the comic. I don't see X-men having the same desire with young kids. Plus I think you can get a nicer TMNT #1 for the same price as a lower grade X-men #1. But as Rofii said (and is right) buy what you love, not the best investment.

Back around 2001 I was going regularly at local comic stores and conventions in the area to purchase my books. From that time to today I have only seen TWO copies of TMNT #1 for sale and at least 40 copies of X-Men #1 being sold at the LCS or conventions.

Luckily, I was smart enough to grab one of the two TMNT #1 that I saw for sale. It was the best purchase I ever made to date. I went to my LCS on Friday and guess what book they had for sale in 5.0? The X-Men #1. ;)

When I got my TMNT #1 back from CGC that I submitted through the same LCS, the owner offered me fair market value for that book and not the usual 50% or whatever discount most dealers make when buying books off people.

With the internet more prevalent you can find both copies readily, but eventually there will be more collectors that will hold onto their copy(s) of TMNT #1 and it will become more difficult to find.

If you want both books and investment is not even an option go for TMNT #1 first. You will eventually save up money down the road to get the X-Men #1 and have both.

Interesting question on the circulation of the X-men 1 vs TMNT 1. The standard argument for the older book vs more modern is that there is so much of the modern available. But in this case, the older book has hundreds times the print run.

Depending if you have grey chest hairs or not is probably the answer to which book is for you. I would go for the TMNT myself, grew up with it, played the video game in the arcade, watched the cartoon as a kid, can hear the song in my head now. Any large con will have plenty of X-Men 1's on the wall and usually none, maybe 1 TMNT 1 in entire room.