• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT #1 (First Print) vs. X-men #1 (1963)

71 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for both an X-men #1 and TMNT #1 (first print). I have a strong appreciation/connection with both series but have limited capital. In your opinion, what makes for a better long term investment?

Get me both.

I would wait until after the latest X-Men and new TMNT movies come out.

Both comics are going thru huge movie hype now.

$3,000 for a copy of TMNT #1 at about an 8.0 is ridiculous.

To me, the price is artificially inflated. I don't care that they only printed 3,000. It's still wildly high.

Based on what?

His own personal opinion, which is fine.

Demand pushing against that 3000 print run will determine the market price. In ten years, that 3K could look like a huge bargain. How many times has someone declared that the price is too high and then a few years down the road said that they should have bought at that price. I know I have. I'm not falling for that trap again lol

I remember a time when I said "AF 15 in NM will probably never go above 5K" Boy was I ever wrong. doh!

$3,000 for a copy of TMNT #1 at about an 8.0 is ridiculous.

To me, the price is artificially inflated. I don't care that they only printed 3,000. It's still wildly high.

Based on what?

His own personal opinion, which is fine.

Demand pushing against that 3000 print run will determine the market price. In ten years, that 3K could look like a huge bargain. How many times has someone declared that the price is too high and then a few years down the road said that they should have bought at that price. I know I have. I'm not falling for that trap again lol

I remember a time when I said "AF 15 in NM will probably never go above 5K" Boy was I ever wrong. doh!

That was probably when an Action 1 was a 75k book (:

I'm in the market for both an X-men #1 and TMNT #1 (first print). I have a strong appreciation/connection with both series but have limited capital. In your opinion, what makes for a better long term investment?

Get me both.

TMNT #1 hasnt really gotten the hype price yet? (shrug)

Maybe once trailer comes out.

Get me both.

I have a feeling for TMNT the movie will be just the beginning of the hype. There will be a toy line (another one, yeah, maybe several more), possibly a live action show, a video game for sure, TMNT has always been a merchandise machine on the level of Star Wars.

Why has this hobby turned into mad money? ??? So many new members are asking investment in comics questions. Has this hobby turned in how can I make a quick buck. Where are the people who LIKE and enjoy comics? :tonofbricks:

Please let me borrow your most valuable books then so I can read them.

Seriously, comics have been seen as investment material since the 70's, where have you been?

While continuing interest in the characters and a small print run would indicate upward potential for TMNT #1, it's not a guarantee that popular longevity is equal to skyrocketing value.

A 1930 Bibo & Lang Mickey Mouse book ( the first MM publication) in nice shape recently sold for <$7000 on ebay. Not cheap, but considering its age, scarcity and that Mickey is one of the most iconic characters of the 20th century, not exactly an indication that TMNT #1 has the potential to catch up with SA Marvel keys. DC and Marvel (inc. Timely) superhero books are the price drivers of the comic collecting market, without them old comic books would probably be valued closer to back issue pulps and popular music magazines.

While continuing interest in the characters and a small print run would indicate upward potential for TMNT #1, it's not a guarantee that popular longevity is equal to skyrocketing value.

A 1930 Bibo & Lang Mickey Mouse book ( the first MM publication) in nice shape recently sold for <$7000 on ebay. Not cheap, but considering its age, scarcity and that Mickey is one of the most iconic characters of the 20th century, not exactly an indication that TMNT #1 has the potential to catch up with SA Marvel keys. DC and Marvel (inc. Timely) superhero books are the price drivers of the comic collecting market, without them old comic books would probably be valued closer to back issue pulps and popular music magazines.

I hear your point, but that also isn't the first ever appearance of Mickey, and Mickey isn't hip with youngsters the same way TMNT are so it may not be the best analogy.