• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flipping different ages of comics

28 posts in this topic

Hi. While I'm on the subject of flipping (in other threads) I thought that I'd ask a flipping question to some of you more high end and seasoned flippers (if you are willing to expose yourself).

Due to my budget, time, and interests I have been flipping generally within a 15-year span. Mostly bronze and from the late 60s to the early 80s. Anyway, within this range it is easy to find books, usually in lots, that make for prime profitable flipping possibilities whether reselling as raw or slabbing and then selling. I realize that the higher end and the older you go, making money flipping is going to get tougher and tougher. I believe this is due to the people owning the older and more valuable books are more aware of their market value, plus they are more likely to not be sold in lots, but rather individually.

I may have the opportunity to get involved in higher end (at least higher for me) books at some time in the near future so I was wondering from some of you seasoned flippers that are out there now flipping Gold through early Silver, just how easy or difficult is it?Of course this is assuming you know what you are doing and where to look. Profiting in Bronze is easy, but Silver and Gold? I know there are some dealers (flippers) that have tremendous success with this, but what about the average flipper working out of his basement? All reports highly appreciated. Thanks-----Sid

I may have the opportunity to get involved in higher end (at least higher for me) books at some time in the near future so I was wondering from some of you seasoned flippers that are out there now flipping Gold through early Silver, just how easy or difficult is it?Of course this is assuming you know what you are doing and where to look. Profiting in Bronze is easy, but Silver and Gold? I know there are some dealers (flippers) that have tremendous success with this, but what about the average flipper working out of his basement? All reports highly appreciated. Thanks-----Sid

Yeah, like everyone is going to rush and tell you how to do it and increase the competition. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can certainly respect that. I guess if anyone wanted to tell us how well they were doing they may be in fear of others wanting to jump on the bandwagon. And those not doing well may not want to admit it. Well, it was worth a try.

Hmmm....so you say you want help only from people who "know what they're doing and know where to look", yet you apparantly don't know these things and are asking for help?

BassG, man, you're losing me with each sucessive post,

sleeping.gif

Basically, Sid, if you are flipping through ebay do two things. Start checking and saving the Completed Listings for books you may be interested in and join GPAnalysis to get info on slabbed books.

BUT - these are just numbers. You have to have a good handle on the markets.

Such is my contribution. Hope it was not too revealing!

My book: "How to make Millions flipping comics" (ISBN:666) will be on Amazon any day now...contact my agent and we'll do lunch. Chow! wink.gif

Again, here's the Donut Way To Riches.

1. Buy a comic for $1

2. Sell the comic for $5.

3. Repeat ten thousand times.

I'll devulge two bits of info.

1) If you do enough research, you will realize that the comic market is somewhat cyclical (meaning there are better times to buy than sell and vice versa).

2) I wouldn't try to flip Golden-Age. Simply put, sometimes you can buy GA books in CGC 9.0 for 60% of guide, which seems like a steal until it comes time to sell.

Hope that helps.

Hmmm....so you say you want help only from people who "know what they're doing and know where to look", yet you apparantly don't know these things and are asking for help?

BassG, man, you're losing me with each sucessive post,

sleeping.gif

C'mon Shrunk, I know exactly what I am doing within the given timeframe that I have been working (stated above very clearly). But I'm the first to admit that I have much to learn and am nowhere near expert levels that I would like to be in other areas, namely early Silver and before. After all, before diving in deeper isn't it always good to hear from others that have been through it before? I won't get involved unless I know others have suceeded before me, and are still doing it.

I'm a professional rock bass guitar player but I don't know jazz at all. Before I was to audition for a really good jazz band you'd better believe I'd do my homework, learn as many songs as I could on my own and prepare myself in advance (which includes talking to pro jazz players) so that I wouldn't go into an audition and look like an amateur. That's what I'm trying to do here with comics. I thought it was clear. ----Sid

My book: "How to make Millions flipping comics" (ISBN:666) will be on Amazon any day now...contact my agent and we'll do lunch. Chow! wink.gif

1. Buy a comic for $1

Yep - it is why I like silver more than gold (the metal, not the age). It is easier for something at $5 or so dollars an ounce to go up a certain percent than something at 300-400 an ounce to go up the same percent. And if I have a fixed amount of $$$ invested, I'd rather see silver go up $1.50 than gold go up three times that amount! Or such is my belief.

And bottom line - it is not the big $$$ sign but the percent you can make that really counts. I'd rather take 100 things I bought for a buck and sell for two than take one thing I bought for $100 and sell for $150. Or such is my belief.

1. Buy a comic for $1

Been there, done that, works great, takes lots of time to make all those $4 profits. Wanting to move up soon though, IF it will work, just getting some perspective here. But thanks Donut, your three rules DO work.

Here's the only hints I'm going to give.

1) ONLY BUY what you know. If you buy stuff to flip and don't know it cold, you WILL get burned.

2) Understand the concept of a "sunk cost".

3) Do not fall in love with your books. Everything has a price.

4) A good good time to buy is at the end of the year. People have bills to pay.

5) eBay ROCKS in January and February.

2) I wouldn't try to flip Golden-Age. Simply put, sometimes you can buy GA books in CGC 9.0 for 60% of guide, which seems like a steal until it comes time to sell.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does, thanks. This is the kind of info I am looking for as I'm the first to admit I don't know GA.

Yep - it is why I like silver more than gold (the metal, not the age). It is easier for something at $5 or so dollars an ounce to go up a certain percent than something at 300-400 an ounce to go up the same percent. And if I have a fixed amount of $$$ invested, I'd rather see silver go up $1.50 than gold go up three times that amount! Or such is my belief.

And bottom line - it is not the big $$$ sign but the percent you can make that really counts. I'd rather take 100 things I bought for a buck and sell for two than take one thing I bought for $100 and sell for $150. Or such is my belief.

POV, oh I understand that concept for sure. But how much work does it take to sell 100 $1 items for $2 versus selling one $100 item for $150? Wouldn't you be better off selling two of the $100 items for $150?

This is the kind of info I am looking for as I'm the first to admit I don't know GA.

Sid - if you don't know GA then don't even think about flipping it! Unless you hit a flea market where someone has GA for a few bucks each.

One thing about unfamiliarity with a genre is that unfamiliarity's ability to persuade you due to personal hooks. By this I mean you may know nothing about GA but love Outer Space topics and suddenly stumble upon a Major Inapak The Space Ace for $20 in really nice shape and say to yourself "Whoah! This is a beaut! And 1951 too!"

I say continue to flip what you know you can and take time - and a lot of time- to really understand other genres. Because you will be competing with genre-experts!

Here's the only hints I'm going to give.

1) ONLY BUY what you know. If you buy stuff to flip and don't know it cold, you WILL get burned.

2) Understand the concept of a "sunk cost".

3) Do not fall in love with your books. Everything has a price.

4) A good good time to buy is at the end of the year. People have bills to pay.

5) eBay ROCKS in January and February.

Makes sense Donut. I'm aware of these rules already but hearing it from another does help to reinforce it. I was under the impression though that the market picked up again in January, I know December rocks for buying on Ebay. Or maybe you are talking about starting to SELL in January?