• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Key Issue Has Been Successfully Made Into A Movie?

38 posts in this topic

but didn't the end of the book sort of show him going for Anarchy? He killed all the major political figures and no one was in control. However, the film sort of took an American spin on it and everyone was unified at the end fighting for "freedom".

I don't remember any big "freedom unification" in the movie, as he killed all the major political figures, and whatever the people wanted was going to happen, the same as the GN. Moore was decidedly more in favour of anarchy, but again, unless you mind-control the population, the people will still decide.

And I would disagree with whatever crazy review you quoted, as V for Vendetta was *not* about anarchy, and I think anyone who read it understands that. It is really about fascism vs. the freedom of the individual, identity, control and what one man is prepared to do to get that back. Anarchy was just one potential end result, not a theme.

but didn't the end of the book sort of show him going for Anarchy? He killed all the major political figures and no one was in control. However, the film sort of took an American spin on it and everyone was unified at the end fighting for "freedom".

I don't remember any big "freedom unification" in the movie, as he killed all the major political figures, and whatever the people wanted was going to happen, the same as the GN. Moore was decidedly more in favour of anarchy, but again, unless you mind-control the population, the people will still decide.

And I would disagree with whatever crazy review you quoted, as V for Vendetta was *not* about anarchy, and I think anyone who read it understands that. It is really about fascism vs. the freedom of the individual, identity, control and what one man is prepared to do to get that back. Anarchy was just one potential end result, not a theme.

Uh...he was quoting Alan Moore.

Uh...he was quoting Alan Moore.

lol, then that makes sense, as Moore is batsheit crazy and *hates* all of his movies.

I've read previous (pre-movie) stuff he's written on V for Vendetta, and it's always been about V's battle for individuality, basic human freedoms, identity, ideas, thoughts, and the dangers of embracing fascism/abrogating these rights to another. V embraces anarchy to solve these issues, but that's not what the story is about.

I never saw V for Vendetta. Did I miss a good movie?

It was for me! I liked it a lot!

That's one of my favorite comic movies. Performance-wise, I really liked it a lot.

I absolutely loved the movie!

I'd go as far as to say it's probably my favourite comic book movie so far. Top 2-3 at the very least.

As someone pointed out, that was an Alan Moore quote…

Also, at the end of the movie, you don;t remember everyone putting on the masks and unifying with V?

Alan Moore hates all his movie adapations, and makes no bones about vehemently and often irrationally, slamming them in any manner possible. He has freely admitted that there could never be a movie adapation that would please him.

I prefer to read the pre-movie Moore articles and interviews, as these rationally discuss his GN/magazine work without all the hyperbole and spittle associated with him anti-Hollywood rants.

Plus, I firmly believe that he's batsheit crazy right now, and he'd probably agree with me. :insane:

Alan Moore hates all his movie adapations, and makes no bones about vehemently and often irrationally, slamming them in any manner possible. He has freely admitted that there could never be a movie adapation that would please him.

I prefer to read the pre-movie Moore articles and interviews, as these rationally discuss his GN/magazine work without all the hyperbole and spittle associated with him anti-Hollywood rants.

Plus, I firmly believe that he's batsheit crazy right now, and he'd probably agree with me. :insane:

I'd agree on Alan Moore.

You ignored the point about unity in the film verse the lack of unity in the book. Go read the last 10 or so pages. It is complete anarchy. That is a drastic change.

I'm not saying I don't like the film though, but I thought the thread was to look for books that were made into accurate films.

I can't think of any movie that has followed a key issue story line? Did I miss any?

I really like this one. I saw the movie years before I read the comic. I have to admit, I like the movie more (shrug)

I'm not saying I don't like the film though, but I thought the thread was to look for books that were made into accurate films.

Why would you think that? You pretty well have to make some changes in translating a comic into a movie, especially the longer between publication date and the start of movie production.

Successful does not mean Slavishly Accurate.

Sin City was a great movie, but I think it could have been truly epic had Rodriguez not been such a Miller fanboy, and instead taken a few chances.

Why would you think that? You pretty well have to make some changes in translating a comic into a movie, especially the longer between publication date and the start of movie production.

Sin City was a great movie, but I think it could have been truly epic had Rodriguez not been such a Miller fanboy, and instead taken a few chances.

What chances could he have taken? having the movie in mostly BnW was a pretty big risk. I happen to think the movie is perfect the way it is 2c

What chances could he have taken? having the movie in mostly BnW was a pretty big risk. I happen to think the movie is perfect the way it is 2c

I think it's far too derivative of the comics, and he didn't make enough use of what movie technology has to offer - like too much VO in parts (which is required in comics), when he could have shown us, not told us, etc.

Animated Dark Knight movies?

I just saw this recently and though it was great!

+1

New Frontier was good as well.

Animated Dark Knight movies?

I just saw this recently and though it was great!

+1

New Frontier was good as well.

Saw that too! I thought it was pretty good. I actually watched it with my daughter. I didn't realize it was going to be so violent. :eek: She liked it though and wanted to watch it again. I fast forwarded through the part where Hal kills the guy.