• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Key Issue Has Been Successfully Made Into A Movie?

38 posts in this topic

I really thought Sin City was a great shot-for-shot film. To me, it stayed true to a lot from the comics (if not all). Key issues? I don't classify them as that - but I think it's pretty hard to find key stories not amalgamated with other aspects of a story.

I can't think of any movie that has followed a key issue story line?

I don't think there are any, discounting the obvious "origin stories" from ASM, IM, FF, etc.

That's because key issues are most often "key" because of a first-appearance in a toss-away issue, and *not* because of the story inside.

The end of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man was the same "death" scene from ASM 122.

The beginning of X-Men Origins Wolverine looked to be following the Origins book pretty closely, minus Rose and making Dog become Sabretooth.

The end of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man was the same "death" scene from ASM 122.

The beginning of X-Men Origins Wolverine looked to be following the Origins book pretty closely, minus Rose and making Dog become Sabretooth.

But neither were adaptions, they just picked a few pieces for the movie.

I really thought Sin City was a great shot-for-shot film. To me, it stayed true to a lot from the comics (if not all). Key issues? I don't classify them as that - but I think it's pretty hard to find key stories not amalgamated with other aspects of a story.

+1

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a key either… Maybe the book marked a change in the industry…

I love how accurate it is to the comic though. They actually used the book for storyboards and it follows panel for panel almost.

I never saw V for Vendetta. Did I miss a good movie?

Personally, I think it's the best comic book adaptation ever filmed, by what do I know?

While a good movie, did it faithfully follow the book though? The end was drastically different.

Not really, he still died, he still got his viking funeral, etc. and movies have to make some changes due to the different medium, but the overall spine of the movie remained intact. I really don't get all fanboy-worked up about changes, assuming they produce a quality movie that still evokes the same feeling as the original work. Although there were changes, they had no effect on the overall story, tone or characters of the GN, and it still "felt" like V for Vendetta, a story I have read multiple times.

The changes in Watchmen were far different, as they totally changed the POV of the movie (which was Rorschach's discovering who killed the Comedian in the GN) and by showing us that battle right at the start (before R is even shown) was a horrible misstep that impacted the movie drastically. POV is everything in a movie.

And then they also totally and drastically changed the ending (which you probably needed to) but kept everything else the same as the GN. :facepalm: I didn't mind the drastic change, but I did mind that some studio maroon thought the rest of the ending could be copied directly from the GN. WTF?

The only part that "felt" like Moore's Watchmen was the Dr Manhatten origin - they nailed that, but everything else was a creation of someone who just didn't understand the original work, and tried to "do a Sin City" without the talent or vision of Rodriguez or Miller.

Personally, I think it's the best comic book adaptation ever filmed, by what do I know?

While a good movie, did it faithfully follow the book though? The end was drastically different.

Not really, he still died, he still got his viking funeral, etc. and movies have to make some changes due to the different medium, but the overall spine of the movie remained intact. I really don't get all fanboy-worked up about changes, assuming they produce a quality movie that still evokes the same feeling as the original work. Although there were changes, they had no effect on the overall story, tone or characters of the GN, and it still "felt" like V for Vendetta, a story I have read multiple times.

Maybe our interpretation of the end of the book was a bit different. Granted it has been a few years, but didn't the end of the book sort of show him going for Anarchy? He killed all the major political figures and no one was in control. However, the film sort of took an American spin on it and everyone was unified at the end fighting for "freedom".

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right, that is a pretty drastic change the the "spine" of the book.

Just a quick read from Wikipedia shows these comments by Moore on the film:

"[The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives – which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England."

It was for me! I liked it a lot!

That's one of my favorite comic movies. Performance-wise, I really liked it a lot.