• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Overvalued Comic Out There...

98 posts in this topic

9.9/10.0 copies of the Wolverine limited series #1 are way overvalued - this has to be the most common book from 1982 out there - probably every comic store in America has had one on the wall in the last year. - I had someone give a NM copy for free with an Ebay purchase once. Do raw 9.2 copies ever sell for as much as guide ($60)? There are over 1600 copies in the census graded 9.4 or better - 13 9.9s! I have to believe that 90% of the high grade copies are still unslabbed - potentially well over 100 9.9s and 10.0s. Actually I think it's pretty cool that every teen-age fanboy in the country can still afford a raw high grade copy of Wolverine's 1st solo book (with Frank Miller art no less) - a book that's over 20 years old, but HG slabbed copies are where the fool and his money part ways.

Re Wolverine #1

While I agree slabbed Wolverine #1 Limited Series are overvalued and common as hell. I was referring to the regular series from 1989. Crappy art and story and if you thought the limited series was common.....

As you said, getting a limited 1 in NM for $60 at least you get an early Copper Age with classic Miller story and art. I wouldn't insert that issue with the gold platted [#@$%!!!] listed above.

BTW good calls on the Daredevils I forgot about those. I'll stretch it a bit and add Star Wars #1, Peter Parker #1, Howard the Duck #1. Other #1 issues like Spider Woman, She Hulk, Human Fly etc. from 1977 have been over priced in the past as well but they have never really been worth much so you couldn't really get burned financially like you could with a HTD #1 for $25.

Man, I remember when those DD 257 & Punisher 10 cross-over books were $20 wall books at many comic shops - my condolences to anyone who paid that. it seems almost every once hot new book drops to 5-20% of it's peak value eventually. At least were not still in the day when every back issue had 50 cents or a dollar added to its price - that is until it was dumped in the quarter bin.

So I take it you're buying Fawcetts? wink.gifwink.gif

Not a chance. Prices are still too high, and will continue to decline in real market value as more and more buyers forget who Captain Marvel was.

I'll also throw out the Restored ultra key books like Superman or Flash #1. While they are always worth money it just seems like everyone and their brother who owned a Superman or Flash #1 in the 80's had the thing restored. And here we are in the CGC world and they are all being dumped on the market with few buyers and prices too high because nobody can sell for less than they paid for the book 20 years ago.

I'll also throw out the Restored ultra key books like Superman or Flash #1. While they are always worth money it just seems like everyone and their brother who owned a Superman or Flash #1 in the 80's had the thing restored. And here we are in the CGC world and they are all being dumped on the market with few buyers and prices too high because nobody can sell for less than they paid for the book 20 years ago.

I don't think that it was everyone who OWNED copies of those (etc..) books, the people having them restored where the people who were SELLING them...

Like when a person has books from a pedigree (ala Church One) done when they get put up for sale and that type of thing. Of course now we will see a shift in the next couple years to bring restoration back into fashion once the prices settle down a little. Keep in mind that unrestored high end will be the new BLACK to the children of Art dealers and they consider them cheap compared to a $30 M painting. (and easier to store!)

I like to think of it more as PRESERVATION than RESTORATION. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All non-mainline DC Golden Age especially World's Finest and Comic Cavalcade. Come to think of it, a lot of the Batmans, later Detectives and Actions are overpriced too.

Almost all Fawcett titles, with the exception of certain McRaboy Master Comics and Captain Marvel Jr. There were a ton of Fawcetts in the Lost Valley and of course Crowley Collections. Sometimes double and triple runs.

Nearly all comics printed after 1975. Hoarded by the millions.

Restored books. They are dogs and as long as companies like CGC are around they will always be dogs. I collect restored books, but won't pay a lot for them.

I agree on the HULK 181. Way overvalued and overrated.

Fawcett's are not overvalued in the least. The company published the most popular Superhero comic of the GA-CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES-and had some outstanding stories and artwork. I don't collect them presently, but I'm thinking about it.Fawcett's offer some of the biggest bargains of the GA. You can get a rare book like NICKEL COMICS #1 in the current marketplace for less than some overvalued Bronze book that is in plentiful supply. Fawcetts are definitely undervalued and underrated books.

Don't crucify me board members...here in St. Louis where the comic stores are currently laughable, back in the 80's when there were many independent comics shops, I used to see House of Secrets 92 all the time. I purchased one issue from a box with SEVEN copies that later graded out at 8.5 a couple years ago. Maybe no one in St. Louis really looked for it at the time....

I think it's interesting to see how many people see it as a "turning" point or something like that. Good character, GREAT artist but several thousand dollars for a HG and low grades that are costly too?

popcorn.gif

Pretty interesting reading. Gotta agree on the Hulk 181.....Love the Character, way too much money for a bronze book! How about ASM 129 (almost useless character that can hardly carry a title...and i know i'll get flack for this one insane.gif but almost every key Marvel pre 1968 being overvalued...cool books....crazy money....compared to DC's of similar grades (even though i am not a DC fan of any sort)...

i think Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) is really undervalued...tough to find in hi grade and a true key book in the Marvel Universe, and also don't understand why GS X men #1 is not worth more than X #94??

but almost every key Marvel pre 1968 being overvalued...cool books....crazy money....compared to DC's of similar grades (even though i am not a DC fan of any sort)...

Supply and DEMAND... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Damn straight. As long as there is very high demand, common HG books will continue to be overvalued in some collectors minds.

Hulk #181 for instance. Yeah it's common, but the fact that it still commands such high prices tells us that there is a very large demand for the first appearance of Wolverine. There always will be.

When you say a comic is overvalued, I think many collectors are really saying "Damn! I should have bought those when they were cheap. I hope they come down in price so I can justify buying another copy." smirk.gif

Hulk #181 for instance. Yeah it's common, but the fact that it still commands such high prices tells us that there is a very large demand for the first appearance of Wolverine. There always will be.

When you say a comic is overvalued, I think many collectors are really saying "Damn! I should have bought those when they were cheap. I hope they come down in price so I can justify buying another copy." smirk.gif

I disagree and in the case of extremely common books like Hulk 181 when I use "overvalued" I really mean:

"Damn! I would never pay that amount for this book and it is certain to come down in price in the years to come."

To say that 'there always will be" very large demand for the first appearance of Wolverine is a pretty bold statement and one that will ultimately be proven wrong. Nothing lasts forever.