• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store your most valuable comics?

40 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Just picked up a low grade AF15. It's slabbed, but the case is cracked. I have no plans to sell, so I'm wondering if I should take it out of the slab and store it in some other manner.

How do you preserve your most valuable books?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Hey All,

Just picked up a low grade AF15. It's slabbed, but the case is cracked. I have no plans to sell, so I'm wondering if I should take it out of the slab and store it in some other manner.

How do you preserve your most valuable books?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

The case being cracked doesn't impact anything beyond ease of resale, and with an AF#15 in low grade, I think it's irrelevant.

Unless you want to crack it out to read it or for some other esthetic reason, I would just leave it in the slab, as they do have the advantage of being able to be passed around among friends with very little possibility of damage occurring.

That said, if you crack it out, put it in a SA/GA size Mylite2 or 4mm Mylar with a buffered fullback from E. Gerber. Don't squeeze it into a smaller Mylar as Mylar is know to snag and tear books. Then store it flat in a custom acid-free box.

I think its better to reholder it for $15 than crack it out and have to pay to get it regraded at some point. Take it to the next con where CGC attends.

Then it will be fully protected in the slab. Keep it in a cool place away from direct sunlight and enjoy your grail.

If you want to read the story, you can always pick up a reprint.

My high valued raw books are kept in a Mylites 2 bag (they make your book shine!) with an E.Gerber Full Back. I also insert two pieces of archival paper in the book, and finally put the book in a top loader. Everything else of high value is slabbed by CGC. If I had a crack in a slab, and if it was AF #15, I would definitely re-slab it. You don't want that crack spreading or getting worse.

Btw, would never store a really high dollar book in a bag. I would CGC it for ultimate protection.

My high valued raw books are kept in a Mylites 2 bag (they make your book shine!) with an E.Gerber Full Back. I also insert two pieces of archival paper in the book, and finally put the book in a top loader. Everything else of high value is slabbed by CGC. If I had a crack in a slab, and if it was AF #15, I would definitely re-slab it. You don't want that crack spreading or getting worse.

Btw, would never store a really high dollar book in a bag. I would CGC it for ultimate protection.

Yep and yep!

So granted this is somewhat subjective, but what is your cutoff for a valuable comic? Unfortunately I am not in any AF or ToS club just yet.

Also where do you get your archival paper and acid free boxes?

Definitely subjective, but let me put it this way...

My high dollar books consist of X-Men 1, GS X-Men 1, Silver Surfer 1, and Hulk 181. They are all CGC, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My other books that are in the hundred dollar range are bagged and boarded.

I get my supplies from comicsupply.com

The owner is awesome, and is willing to spend a lot of time on the phone with his customers.

So granted this is somewhat subjective, but what is your cutoff for a valuable comic? Unfortunately I am not in any AF or ToS club just yet.

My high dollar books consist of X-Men 1, GS X-Men 1, Silver Surfer 1, and Hulk 181. They are all CGC, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My other books that are in the hundred dollar range are bagged and boarded.

The owner is awesome, and is willing to spend a lot of time on the phone with his customers.

You get your supplies from where? :roflmao:

Really??? Is the time spent trying to get your orders shipped?

Yeah, really, and uh...no.

hm

hm

Google Comicsupply,and check out some of our conversations with him.Our buddy Russell. doh!

I just did a quick search on comicsupply.com, and the amount complaints is overwhelming. I wasnt aware that so many people have had issues with them before. Somehow I managed to slip through the cracks and receive really good service. (shrug)

I just did a quick search on comicsupply.com, and the amount complaints is overwhelming. I wasnt aware that so many people have had issues with them before. Somehow I managed to slip through the cracks and receive really good service. (shrug)

I didn't think good service was in Russell's vocabulary. lol

btw, top-loaders are overkill, and stoopid (but to each his own). :grin:

I love Top loaders.First time you drop an expensive raw book,you won't think they were overkill. (thumbs u

Top-loaders are excellent for safe keeping. It really depends how you are displaying your comics though. In a mylar with a board and in a box does not need a top-loader.

I display many of my books on shelving and in spinner racks. For these types of displays I highly recommend them.

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

I also recommend using them at conventions. I have some books that I lay flat on the tables to grab the attention of potential buyers who are walking by.

ClobTableB_zps56a6b678.jpg

ClobTablea_zpsf53bc5da.jpg

I put the books in top-loaders to prevent someone from wrecking the book by picking it up, or leaning on it when it is on the table. People also have a habit of putting things down on the tables seemingly oblivious that a comic book is displayed there.

Top-loaders have saved many books for me.

I didn't think good service was in Russell's vocabulary. lol

I can see why. I just might have to reconsider. Thanks for the heads up.