• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay Buyer Problem - What would you do?

185 posts in this topic

remember sellers you can 'save as draft' your listing until you have all your ducks in a row-no need to go off 1/2-cocked....

I just write mine up as if they are going to sell in a few weeks once I finish, I go back and change the time to now.

BTW, stock photos are not allowed unless you have permission.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

This is why I don't sell comics on ebay anymore. The second I miss something when describing it's condition, I get a buyer jumping down my that and it's not worth my time.

In this case, the buyer was lucky he even got a full refund. A spine tick is considered NM, I would have flat out refused anything and told him "that is why it is NM and not Mint. You don't want spine ticks? Then don't buy NM." Simple as that.

I work in appliance sales and we do not have a refund policy. If the appliance arrives damaged you can either get a credit or exchange it. Once you accept delivery, it is yours. No buyers remorse. No "this thing doesn't work the way I expected it to". Then you should have done better research on it. I love that "no return policy". I understand it's hard in this case though since the seller didn't post accurate pictures at the time he started the sale. But common sense should prevail in this.

I do understand things get missed in describing the book. The buyer should have a better sense of what is considered "NM" as the seller cannot be expected to describe every little detail about the book.

This sounds vaguely familiar….

So now we're splitting hairs? I was looking forward to owning it yeah, but I didn't say I was going to keep it. Wow, it's mind boggling how vicious you people are. I'm sending it back end of, peace out.

We are not all vicious some just want blood on here because they got nothing else to do.

Visit somewhere else on here, but the General Forum and you will enjoy it more. I wouldnt give up on ebay either you just ran across a poor listing it happens.

This is why I don't sell comics on ebay anymore. The second I miss something when describing it's condition, I get a buyer jumping down my that and it's not worth my time.

In this case, the buyer was lucky he even got a full refund. A spine tick is considered NM, I would have flat out refused anything and told him "that is why it is NM and not Mint. You don't want spine ticks? Then don't buy NM." Simple as that.

I work in appliance sales and we do not have a refund policy. If the appliance arrives damaged you can either get a credit or exchange it. Once you accept delivery, it is yours. No buyers remorse. No "this thing doesn't work the way I expected it to". Then you should have done better research on it. I love that "no return policy". I understand it's hard in this case though since the seller didn't post accurate pictures at the time he started the sale. But common sense should prevail in this.

I do understand things get missed in describing the book. The buyer should have a better sense of what is considered "NM" as the seller cannot be expected to describe every little detail about the book.

Think of it like this. You have want a NM copy of some book that cost around $1k. I would be much accepting of questions from a buyer for that book due to the amount of money they are spending. I can easily see your arguement on time.

I would ask you continue to sell on ebay because it seems you are the type of seller that needs to stay on there.

This sounds vaguely familiar.

Ugh. I don't like that no refund policy, I wouldn't buy from there...No offense...I once bought a dryer from a major outlet and it was DEAD out of the box. I picked it up myself. They would not come and get it. I had to unhook it, reload it and ask a friend to borrow their truck to return it. The store offered NOTHING in way of compensation or "make it right". If I still had to "buy" from them, I would have been even MORE annoyed. Needless to say I took my refund and bought elsewhere and have not bought a thing from that store since.

As for eBay, FORTUNATELY, I have not had anyone rail against the condition stated as I provide scans of front and front and back scans for high priced books and then note several "defects" of the book and things like page quality. I usually do a bulleted list using criteria I personally would like to know as a buyer.

I now ask about staples after I once received a nice book but the staples were mess. Then I simply contacted the seller and was POLITE, got a refund and credit and moved on with my life.

I think the issue is that can be frustrating is that the good sellers put a lot of time into our listings and if we get an individual_without_enough_empathy it can be discouraging. I have told some potential bidders to flat out not bid on my items. As a buyer, it can be disappointing too after doing all your due diligence you are disappointed upon receipt of the book.

BUT if both sides behave in a polite, responsible manner, I *think* most of these issues can be resolved...Unless one party is a complete A-Hole.

My typed stuff deleted to avoid cluttered quotes.

Ugh. I don't like that no refund policy, I wouldn't buy from there...No offense...I once bought a dryer from a major outlet and it was DEAD out of the box. I picked it up myself. They would not come and get it. I had to unhook it, reload it and ask a friend to borrow their truck to return it. The store offered NOTHING in way of compensation or "make it right". If I still had to "buy" from them, I would have been even MORE annoyed. Needless to say I took my refund and bought elsewhere and have not bought a thing from that store since.

Sorry, I should have elaborated on that a bit. We cannot take returns because we do not have room to store or display returned items and the cost of us have to take a return and then resell it at a lower price is not cost effective for us. We do offer free repair if there is something actually not working right, which is the only reasonable reason a person would want to return it. But I do get a lot of people who say they are just not happy with it and I have to tell them that they cannot return it for just being unhappy with it. Those are fun conversations!

Think of it like this. You have want a NM copy of some book that cost around $1k. I would be much accepting of questions from a buyer for that book due to the amount of money they are spending. I can easily see your arguement on time.

I would ask you continue to sell on ebay because it seems you are the type of seller that needs to stay on there.

Agreed, I would be more inclined to send the seller a question about some of the detail or ask for a better scan rather than waste everyone's time and money shipping it back and forth. That's why anyone I buy from on here will hardly hear a peep outta me unless it's supposed to be 7.0 and it comes back looking like that .5 WD. I do take some subjectivity into account. I just wish all buyers would.

So now we're splitting hairs? I was looking forward to owning it yeah, but I didn't say I was going to keep it. Wow, it's mind boggling how vicious you people are. I'm sending it back end of, peace out.

We are not all vicious some just want blood on here because they got nothing else to do.

Visit somewhere else on here, but the General Forum and you will enjoy it more. I wouldnt give up on ebay either you just ran across a poor listing it happens.

Interesting thread and this comment is totally true. The desire of some of the folks to be 'right' in these forums knows no bounds. Some would also argue/believe that just because the have 1k's of postings... they have some sort of special privileges to be aholes to new people.

Regardless, lot of cool folks as well and tons of great information.

you may not be aware of it but state law in every state in the union makes every business have a refund policy whether they like it or not. and they would lose in small claims. same with ebay-a seller may state they have a 'no refund' policy but ebay will make them refund if there is a problem.

you may not be aware of it but state law in every state in the union makes every business have a refund policy whether they like it or not. and they would lose in small claims. same with ebay-a seller may state they have a 'no refund' policy but ebay will make them refund if there is a problem.

Refunds fall to the states:

Here is NY's

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/Refund.pdf

State law now requires that all businesses selling to consumers post a refund

policy. For consumer businesses in New York City, this refund posting obligation

applies both to sales of consumer goods and consumer services.

While stores can set their own refund policies, the sign must state any and all conditions or limitations to getting a refund. For example:

• Businesses must disclose any fees charged for refunds, such as “restocking
    fees.”
  • If a business will not provide refunds for “as is” items, it must disclose that.
    Businesses must also disclose whether the refund will be in cash, credit, or store credit only.
  • If proof of purchase is required for a refund, the sign must say so.
  • A business that chooses not to offer refunds must post a sign that states, “No Refund,” or words to that effect.
  • The sign must state that a written copy of the store’s refund policy is available on request.

Failure to post a refund policy is a violation of the law. In addition, if a business fails to post a refund policy, it must accept a return within 30 days of purchase as long as the merchandise is not used or damaged and the consumer can verify the date of purchase with a receipt or other proof of purchase that the business uses. The business must give the consumer the choice of cash or credit.

Businesses in NY can choose not to have a refund policy. There are many times that I see "All Sales Final" signs. We see them at Halloween shops on October 30, clearance items, and in other cases as well.

I don't own this big corporate retail store, so I don't care what laws govern them. 9.9 outta 10 times, no one will fight it and I don't have to go to any courts so no big deal on my part. And eBay can say I have to refund, but I still do not have to. Sellers have rights as well, I have refused to refund to ebay due to their incompetence and they dropped it.

Interesting thread and this comment is totally true. The desire of some of the folks to be 'right' in these forums knows no bounds. Some would also argue/believe that just because the have 1k's of postings... they have some sort of special privileges to be aholes to new people.

Regardless, lot of cool folks as well and tons of great information.

Just to clarify, wasn't trying to be an a hole when I called out a three post user for using a derogatory term.

I don't own this big corporate retail store, so I don't care what laws govern them. 9.9 outta 10 times, no one will fight it and I don't have to go to any courts so no big deal on my part. And eBay can say I have to refund, but I still do not have to. Sellers have rights as well, I have refused to refund to ebay due to their incompetence and they dropped it.

i have no idea what you are talking about. ebay or paypal can withdraw funds without your consent. unless someone is paying you by money order I guess. 99% of people use paypal though. and ebay can suspend you indeifinitely until you issue refund....

not to mention the neg FB you start accruing will slowly put you out of business if this is your business model.

i have no idea what you are talking about. ebay or paypal can withdraw funds without your consent. unless someone is paying you by money order I guess. 99% of people use paypal though. and ebay can suspend you indeifinitely until you issue refund....

They also have collections departments that can make your life unpleasant.

i am utterly mystified by his claim that he told ebay to take a hike....

and also i do not understand sellers like this. my policy is the customer is always right and i am very successful on ebay. Just like all very successful businesses, customer satisfaction is job one. an adversarial approach works for a little while then you go down in flames.

and also i do not understand sellers like this. my policy is the customer is always right and i am very successful on ebay. Just like all very successful businesses, customer satisfaction is job one. an adversarial approach works for a little while then you go down in flames.

honestly, no offense, why do you care about this so much?

honestly, no offense, but why do you care about what I care about so much?

honestly, no offense, but why do you care about what I care about so much?

:eyeroll: