• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay Buyer Problem - What would you do?

185 posts in this topic

i am utterly mystified by his claim that he told ebay to take a hike....

and also i do not understand sellers like this. my policy is the customer is always right and i am very successful on ebay. Just like all very successful businesses, customer satisfaction is job one. an adversarial approach works for a little while then you go down in flames.

honestly, no offense, why do you care about this so much?

honestly, no offense, but why do you care about what I care about so much?

:eyeroll:

haha sorry. I'm just a caring person I guess....

Hulk Smash, I sincerely apologize for taking the mcs pic.

I genuinely didn't realize that's what it was until after I had sold both books.

I think there are a lot bigger issues than that.

I don't care that it was a mcs pic, or anybody else's. You brought this situation on yourself, by not waiting to submit a proper listing for sale. If you had waited until you had the time to submit a proper listing with your own scans/photos, then the buyer would have had the opportunity to view your comic and to pass on your listing, if he saw something he didn't agree with. As it was, the buyer jumped on your listing, before he could lose out to another buyer. Now he gets the books and doesn't agree with the grade. Now you start a thread complaining about buyer, when this whole situation could have been avoided if you didn't rush a half-azz listing in the first place. You took a chance and it didn't turn out how you wanted it. The buck stops with you.

2c

Sorry, I go the other way on this. The buyer hit the BIN on a listing that did not have a scan. If a scan was necessary he needed to ask, wait, or ignore the listing. Listing badly hurts no one but the seller, there's no problem until someone else hits the button. He hit the button on a $200 listing that has a picture of the TPB for goodness sake!

There are many situations where I would agree with you, but on this one - such an obviously bad listing for a $200+ item...I don't see it.

+1

Railing against a seller's poor, hastily done listing whilst not even mentioning the fact that somebody would be goofy enough to blow a couple hundred bucks on an item sight unseen? :gossip: apparently the buyer didn't notice the watermark either doh!

:screwy:

and besides, who gets bent out of shape about "stealing" an image that's all over the freaking internet. There's absolutely nothing discernible about the actual image that one could call that an actual swipe of anything. Not like he swiped a graded book image. The watermark is the only thing that even tips you off that it's a stock photo. so again, who goes off the rails on somebody about using a stock photo that's available in a zillion different places? I get railing on the seller for not posting a scan of his own book. but for "stealing" a mycomicshop stock image? I don't see it

and also i do not understand sellers like this. my policy is the customer is always right and i am very successful on ebay. Just like all very successful businesses, customer satisfaction is job one. an adversarial approach works for a little while then you go down in flames.

I don't want to go into the whole story, but ebay made a mistake and I called them out on it and after a bit of arguing with them, I got them to drop it. No collections, no hassles. Like I said, sellers have rights too. Ebay doesn't get to just run all over everyone.

And the customer is not always right. Again, I work in a customer service retail job, and even we don't say this. If the customer was always right, they would take advantage of sellers left and right. That's why everyone has been complaining about ebay always taking the buyer's side, because sellers are getting screwed.

This is why I don't sell comics on ebay anymore. The second I miss something when describing it's condition, I get a buyer jumping down my that and it's not worth my time.

In this case, the buyer was lucky he even got a full refund. A spine tick is considered NM, I would have flat out refused anything and told him "that is why it is NM and not Mint. You don't want spine ticks? Then don't buy NM." Simple as that.

I work in appliance sales and we do not have a refund policy. If the appliance arrives damaged you can either get a credit or exchange it. Once you accept delivery, it is yours. No buyers remorse. No "this thing doesn't work the way I expected it to". Then you should have done better research on it. I love that "no return policy". I understand it's hard in this case though since the seller didn't post accurate pictures at the time he started the sale. But common sense should prevail in this.

I do understand things get missed in describing the book. The buyer should have a better sense of what is considered "NM" as the seller cannot be expected to describe every little detail about the book.

This sounds vaguely familiar….

you may not be aware of it but state law in every state in the union makes every business have a refund policy whether they like it or not. and they would lose in small claims. same with ebay-a seller may state they have a 'no refund' policy but ebay will make them refund if there is a problem.

I don't own this big corporate retail store, so I don't care what laws govern them. 9.9 outta 10 times, no one will fight it and I don't have to go to any courts so no big deal on my part. And eBay can say I have to refund, but I still do not have to. Sellers have rights as well, I have refused to refund to ebay due to their incompetence and they dropped it.

Yeah... all of this kinda explains all of this...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7442750#Post7442750

See...I knew that sounded familiar!!!

Due to what I said above, I am extremely skeptical when a buyer claims issues with my stuff, especially comics since grading is subjective. I am quick to offer no refunds if I feel like a refund is not warranted. That issue took up a lot of my day having fix it but also a Paypal issue that came up because of that issue so I gave the refund instead because it was the lesser of two evils. But, like I said before, you want clarification or a better scan/image, then ask for it before causing problems. No one is perfect, and I'm not trying to cheat anyone but I do ask that people use some common sense when dealing with others over the internet.

I don't want to go into the whole story, but ebay made a mistake and I called them out on it and after a bit of arguing with them, I got them to drop it. No collections, no hassles. Like I said, sellers have rights too. Ebay doesn't get to just run all over everyone.

And the customer is not always right. Again, I work in a customer service retail job, and even we don't say this. If the customer was always right, they would take advantage of sellers left and right. That's why everyone has been complaining about ebay always taking the buyer's side, because sellers are getting screwed.

well if it was their mistake then kudos to you. and the customer is not always right but I treat them as if they are and i maybe get taken advantage of once in a great while but consider it the cost of doing business and it does not bother me. Rather, I feel proud that I have this attitude. and I never make enemies on ebay. I definitely do not get taken advantage of left and right.

Earlier you said you were so excited to finally own a copy of this and now it's a copy for your brother?

There is something to be said about liars not being able to keep their story straight.

-slym

i learned my lesson

So now we're splitting hairs? I was looking forward to owning it yeah, but I didn't say I was going to keep it. Wow, it's mind boggling how vicious you people are. I'm sending it back end of, peace out.

We are not all vicious some just want blood on here because they got nothing else to do.

Visit somewhere else on here, but the General Forum and you will enjoy it more. I wouldnt give up on ebay either you just ran across a poor listing it happens.

Interesting thread and this comment is totally true. The desire of some of the folks to be 'right' in these forums knows no bounds. Some would also argue/believe that just because the have 1k's of postings... they have some sort of special privileges to be aholes to new people.

Regardless, lot of cool folks as well and tons of great information.

Can we get a list of those people, please?

(:

-slym

Due to what I said above, I am extremely skeptical when a buyer claims issues with my stuff, especially comics since grading is subjective. I am quick to offer no refunds if I feel like a refund is not warranted. That issue took up a lot of my day having fix it but also a Paypal issue that came up because of that issue so I gave the refund instead because it was the lesser of two evils. But, like I said before, you want clarification or a better scan/image, then ask for it before causing problems. No one is perfect, and I'm not trying to cheat anyone but I do ask that people use some common sense when dealing with others over the internet.

And WHY exactly are you so "skeptical" when a buyer claims issues with your stuff???

That "issue" should NOT have taken that long to fix. What was the "lesser of two evils"? The fault there was yours and yours alone. If you had mentioned there was a spine split in the PGM, you probably would have gotten different grades, just as say in a PGM forum you do not disclose there is a clipped coupon or something. People can't "grade" what they can't see.

Basically, "common sense" says that you typically can't see spine splits in a scan but you can or at least you should be able to IN HAND.

"Common sense" says the seller ought to disclose things like that.

Oh, and spine splits ain't that subjective.

Just sayin.

And WHY exactly are you so "skeptical" when a buyer claims issues with your stuff???

That "issue" should NOT have taken that long to fix. What was the "lesser of two evils"? The fault there was yours and yours alone. If you had mentioned there was a spine split in the PGM, you probably would have gotten different grades, just as say in a PGM forum you do not disclose there is a clipped coupon or something. People can't "grade" what they can't see.

Basically, "common sense" says that you typically can't see spine splits in a scan but you can or at least you should be able to IN HAND.

"Common sense" says the seller ought to disclose things like that.

Oh, and spine splits ain't that subjective.

Just sayin.

Are you talking about the "I'll buy back my inaccurately graded book with undisclosed defects for 50% of sale price because it helps me save money elsewhere" guy? Yes, I think you are.

For reference:

want some thoughts on this before I proceed in other threads etc.

Picked up a book from a new seller here on the boards. Book arrived yesterday and found the book had a spine split running about 1/3 of the back cover. Seller had not disclosed this in their thread, nor had they disclosed this when they placed the book in the PGM thread.

Book/price paid was based on the grade given by the seller/and those who gave graves it in the PGM thread.

I am, I sold her Silver Surfer #1 and she doesn't like that it has a spine split. I didn't notice a spine split on it but I know there was a defect with the spine at the bottom just like there are defects on the cover. I posted scans and linked to the PGM thread in the sales thread so everyone could get an idea of it's grade. I had an issue on eBay where I graded it based on my opinion and the seller said it was worse in his opinion. That caused a huge issue so from then on, I do not grade raws. I will say if it is in a decent condition and post pictures of it to let people judge for themselves.

I originally bought it for $200. I was thinking about getting it restored and graded but thought that would cost too much so I tried selling it on here for $200. jsilverjanet offered $175 and I took it. I offered her $100 back for it now because that would be more affordable for me to get it restored and graded. I do not want to spend $175 on it and I already lost $25 on it plus the cost of shipping it to her to begin with.

All of the problems with that transaction were on your end Meeklo. The undisclosed/unnoticed spine split, your "skeptical nature" turning a refund into a 50% buy back. That was all you. How did the buyer create a problem or not use common sense?

And having to refund the buyer because you didn't disclose or notice the spine split which was entirely your fault was the "lesser of two evils"? You don't think he deserved that refund and a sincere apology for your mistakes?

He really thought I had threatened him when I said "I wish our paths HAD NEVER crossed."

The guy will not leave me alone. I ask him every time I message him back to not contact me anymore and he won't stop.

I will give an update once the whole thing is finished.

My question though, if someone opens a paypal case and I ask for the book to be returned before I issue a refund, then how long does paypal wait for him to return the book before they just close the case?

ps if he messages you after you ask him to stop that is harassment-call ebay and they can block his ability to leave FB.....