• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going on with Low Grade Keys

46 posts in this topic

While some of the prices realized for lower grade keys have been mind boggling, lower grade keys have an audience as the higher grades command prices that are out of reach. Basically think of it as a rubber band or a piece of elastic.

Think of a book like FF1 At one point 8.0's were found for a few thousand dollars. As that price increased there were many that were outpriced from obtaining copies in that grade. So for those that still want the book, there is a fiercer competition and the price will go up.

I see a lot of growth for lower grade but presentable keys as well as solid mid-grade keys.

I think I am stating the obvious though.

i consider any book someone else is selling to be low grade while any book i am selling is high grade.

+1

People want what they want when they want it, and usually they want it NOW.

No kidding. I got an offer on a book today, and a few hours later they messaged me "ARE WE DOING THIS OR NOT!"

Well, I was doing Chuck E Cheese with the kids...but...

Ah... sweet, sweet low grade keys.

At the end of the day, there's an entry-level price for a ticket to ride. Of course, I'm also referring to vintage keys - not new books. But still, there's a market to be sure, and I'm sure there will continue to be a market with the rise in popularity of comic superheroes in mainstream media. Still, the title in question also matters significantly.

But yeah. Sweet, sweet low grade keys. :cloud9:

The consensus thus far is "because they can." These buyers have access to a fairly decent amount of discretionary income and this is how they choose to spend it. I can't understand it myself so I stopped trying.

"Some men just want to see the world burn." or in this case "Some men just want to see their money burn."

We keep assuming it is discretionary. People purchase things they can't afford all the time. It may be a case of someone not understanding the market, with the likely exception of the 0.5 WD #1, which seems (to me) more like a novelty purchase. Not everyone has a GPA membership or does adequate searches, even on eBay.

+1

A fool and his money…

Ignorance is…

this walking dead is a little ambitious

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mans-Very-Old-And-Worn-Out-Flip-Flop-/171143252527?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item27d8eeca2f

I've always been of the mindset that I would rather own 5 keys in nice presenting Fine than just 1 in 9.8. this is because my love for the books outstrips any consideration regarding investment.

However, many of my mid grade books seem to have appreciated in value too so it's a win/win.

I think this board in particular is very grade centric in a way that the wider hobby isn't. (an observation btw, not a criticism ). 2c

I've always been of the mindset that I would rather own 5 keys in nice presenting Fine than just 1 in 9.8. this is because my love for the books outstrips any consideration regarding investment.

However, many of my mid grade books seem to have appreciated in value too so it's a win/win.

I think this board in particular is very grade centric in a way that the wider hobby isn't. (an observation btw, not a criticism ). 2c

+1

+1

+2

+1

+2

+3

I love low grade keys that present well. It's the only way I am currently able to buy some of the books I want.

+1

+2

+3

I love low grade keys that present well. It's the only way I am currently able to buy some of the books I want.

+4

I am one of those low grade buyers. I think we are disparagingly known as "bottom feeders" even by some of the people selling us the books.

One part time dealer told me that his wife wants him to sell his quarter million dollar collection (probably more like a $50,000 collection) to pay his mortgage. I told him that I paid mine off twenty years ago. That was where I put my money instead of into high priced comics. I sent two kids to university. I have a pool in the backyard which the people who buy the high priced comics swim in. I went to NY four times last year, only once for a comic convention. I drive a car with heated leather seats and a sun roof.

I realize that some work up beautiful collections wheeling, dealing, buying and selling. Others invest and may one day sell off what they have. Me, I am not a rich man and I haven't let my hobby get the better of me. My X-Men 12 is probably a 2.0 and it definitely has amateur restoration. I am happy with it.

I am unimpressed by the collectors who buy high priced comics, feel satisfied for a day or so and then go looking for another fix. Meanwhile, they won't pay for some of the things that might make their life a little happier (like, really, moving out of their parent's basement).

To me collecting is a very enjoyable hobby, not a way of life. I don't have to worry about market fluctuations, if something has been restored without my knowledge, upgrading my Charlton collectionl, what customs will do when the comic gets to the border, CGC turnaround times, or any strange ego wars over who has the bestest comic. It ain't me.

Now there are a thousand of you out there who feel otherwise and mostly that is OK. Each to his own. However, if you are spending the mortgage money on comics, or if your wife divorces you when you come home without a cheque, you are not going about this the right way. If your wife looks and a box a comics and sees the Caribbean vacation you never had you are not going about this the right way. If you are crying poor while out with your friends, but showing them your new 9.2 acquisition, you are not going about this the right way.

If you work in a comic store and you are switching your low grade comics with the high grade ones after hours when nobody is looking you are one sick sone of a gun.

Long live high grade collecting but long live low grade too.

I am one of those low grade buyers. I think we are disparagingly known as "bottom feeders" even by some of the people selling us the books.

One part time dealer told me that his wife wants him to sell his quarter million dollar collection (probably more like a $50,000 collection) to pay his mortgage. I told him that I paid mine off twenty years ago. That was where I put my money instead of into high priced comics. I sent two kids to university. I have a pool in the backyard which the people who buy the high priced comics swim in. I went to NY four times last year, only once for a comic convention. I drive a car with heated leather seats and a sun roof.

I realize that some work up beautiful collections wheeling, dealing, buying and selling. Others invest and may one day sell off what they have. Me, I am not a rich man and I haven't let my hobby get the better of me. My X-Men 12 is probably a 2.0 and it definitely has amateur restoration. I am happy with it.

I am unimpressed by the collectors who buy high priced comics, feel satisfied for a day or so and then go looking for another fix. Meanwhile, they won't pay for some of the things that might make their life a little happier (like, really, moving out of their parent's basement).

To me collecting is a very enjoyable hobby, not a way of life. I don't have to worry about market fluctuations, if something has been restored without my knowledge, upgrading my Charlton collectionl, what customs will do when the comic gets to the border, CGC turnaround times, or any strange ego wars over who has the bestest comic. It ain't me.

Now there are a thousand of you out there who feel otherwise and mostly that is OK. Each to his own. However, if you are spending the mortgage money on comics, or if your wife divorces you when you come home without a cheque, you are not going about this the right way. If your wife looks and a box a comics and sees the Caribbean vacation you never had you are not going about this the right way. If you are crying poor while out with your friends, but showing them your new 9.2 acquisition, you are not going about this the right way.

If you work in a comic store and you are switching your low grade comics with the high grade ones after hours when nobody is looking you are one sick sone of a gun.

Did I miss something? Where is this coming from? (shrug)

Also, I didn't know there was a universal right and wrong way to collect. To each his own.

Did I miss something? Where is this coming from? (shrug)

Also, I didn't know there was a universal right and wrong way to collect. To each his own.

:screwy:lol

but seriously (shrug)

The only link I can make to that text are the guys who say, "just bought this, but I need to pay for something else, so this has to go." Many people here give the impression they're living beyond their means, but that may just be a ruse used by flippers.