• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone hit the BIN on this book...please!

40 posts in this topic

I did buy a Flash Comics #33 VF- 7.5 I was missing off ComicLink recently and paid $715.00 with shipping. I paid aprox. 113% of the Overstreet guide value for a comic in less than VF 8.0. I collect Flash Comics but I will sell anything if the price is right with the assuption I may be able to reacquire another copy at a lesser price. Having just bought this book I decided to mark it up 25% and sell it for $895.00. Had the book sold and the buyer paid with PAYPAL I would have realized only $127 after dolling out $53.00 in listing and selling fees to Ebay/Paypal.

In general I pay more for Flash Comics then any other title and my selling prices will often reflect my view that this title is quite scarce compared to many other Golden Age titles. According to CGCs CENSUS, THE NUMBER OF COPIES CERTIFIED of aLL the 104 published Flash Comics is 5-6 copies. That is very scarce IMO and when collectors begin to realize that the Overstreet price guide will also reflect it. takeit.gif

Though I do agree with Centaur, flipping GA (with some few, very important exceptions) does seem like an unnecessarily difficult way to make a buck.

Thank goodness I don't sell books on Ebay to make a living. If I did I would be quite poor. I only sell books to help finance my never ending comic buying spree.

takeit.gif

This is the seller that I made I big off ebay buy from a few months ago. I bought several Big CGC books from him. I got an o k price from him but considering how long he had them up on ebay I should have done better. I did fill some major wants on my list of grails, but the seller was very hard to deal with. he clearly makes money by buying and flipping Golden age books mostly CGC'd. Attached is one of the Keys I got from him.

How was I hard to deal with?

Other than expecting payment in full prior to sending out the books?

I think you paid a fair price for some awesome comics. My profit margin was razor thin.

Just because no one else bought them does not mean they were overpriced or that I should sell them at a loss.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I would be very careful in dealing with this guy. A friend of mine sold him a book about four months ago. He asked that my friend send him the book before he paid for it so he could assess it (it was CGC'd). My friend said no. That started a chain of nasty e-mails and threatening calls. It finally got kind of resolved with negative feedbacks flying.

This is not true and did not happen. If someone told you this lie then they are at the very least not someone to call your friend. I have never bought books and refused to pay the seller first. My ebay id is Grimstarman and I welcome those who believe this dribble to give my Ebay Feedback a gander to verify.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Alaska's supposed to be good climate for comic preservation, no? Ernie Gerber says so in the photojournal, at least. Still, if I bought from this guy and got screwed on the book I don't think I'd go mushing about on a dogsled to catch up with the dude...

Alaska is nice mainly because we have few bug or insects to damage paper collectibles other than the seasonal Monster mesquitoes in the Summer.

Where I live it averages 40-50 degrees in the summer and chills down to 40-50 below in January and February.

Speaking of Ernie, his brother Hermann Gerber stayed here at our hotel a couple of times back in May of 1998. Some sort of work brought him here but I don't recall what it was.

I love those photojournals by the way.

laugh.gif

I don't know--perhaps I am the only one who feels this way, but Barrow is both remote and extreme in every way imaginable.

That is for certain: Barrow Alaska Information

I'm only here to manage the hotel as this is not a place you go to retire.

Truth be known, I wish this hotel was located in Barbados!

sign-offtopic.gif

I would be very careful in dealing with this guy. A friend of mine sold him a book about four months ago. He asked that my friend send him the book before he paid for it so he could assess it (it was CGC'd). My friend said no. That started a chain of nasty e-mails and threatening calls. It finally got kind of resolved with negative feedbacks flying.

This is not true and did not happen. If someone told you this lie then they are at the very least not someone to call your friend. I have never bought books and refused to pay the seller first. My ebay id is Grimstarman and I welcome those who believe this dribble to give my Ebay Feedback a gander to verify.

Hi Grimstarman. Welcome to the boards! It is true, and it happened. Here is the feedback I am talking about:

DEADBEAT BIDDER/LYING SCUM. FILED DEADBEAT ALERT FOR $. HE THEN BOUNCED-AVOID! Seller thespectre ( 125) Apr-12-04 08:19 2215686407

Reply by grimstarman: His local law enforcement looking into this matter, dont make the mistake I did! Apr-12-04 09:49

Follow-up by thespectre: AVOID!! LawEnforcment INVESTIGATING FRAUD ACTION re:THIS LOSER'S BOUNCED CHECK. Jun-28-04 14:54

And if anyone on the Boards wants the e-mails that were sent, just PM me.

Hey Grim--

I just want you to know, as I have stated before--my comments have nothing to do with you personally.

I have stayed in the King Eider several times. It is the best place in Barrow. I am not sure if we ever met, but when I stayed there the Sweats were still managing the Eider. Dave also owned the place my friend Brett lived in.

Alaskan Airlines (regular and goldstreak) and NAC used to lose, and bust things up on a regular basis. With Shaken Slab Syndrome and extreme temps., it must be difficult to buy expensive books and have them shipped to and from Barrow. The postage must really hurt.

With all that said--Have you read the IDW books 30 days of night, and return to Barrow? Very unrealistic about things up there, but also very good reads. Like where did the vampires walk from---Fairbanks?

Lastly, I did see polar bears coming across the ice near the dump until they were chased away with the rubber bullets. I also watched some gray whales scraping barnacles off on the shelf at NARL.....sorry to be off topic.

I am GrimStarman: I generally do okay with my sales on ebay and who ever called me arrogant has likely not done any business with me. I have over 5000 completed sales on ebay and my nearly 2000 feedback is 99.65% positive last I checked.

I tend to list items on Ebay when I find I have overspent (via credit card) on new Golden Age acquisitions and then it is usually only when Ebay offers half price or free listings. I think a reason I don't sell more is that by listing so many items it gives bidders the impression that these items are not as scarce for some reason. Or perhaps if too much is on the menu the buyers simply don't place an order.

A recent poster said I had multiple copies of Flash Comics up for sale like that is a bad thing. I have 3 CGC certifed copies of Flash Comics #16 and #20 in my collection but how does that make them any less common? The most recent CGC census notes that a mere 6 unrestored copies of #16 and only 3 copies of #20 have been certified. It appears I own the ownly certified copies of Flash #20 and half the known copies of #16.

I'm a collector not a dealer but I do buy and sell comics on a regular basis. I always buy more than I sell and what I do SELL is marked up 10-15% so I can afford to continue buying my favorites like Flash Comics. If I mark something up higher then that it is likely an item I don't truly wish to part with. As a collector I pay a lot more for items than many would expect. A strong reason for this is because I live in an Eskimo village at the most northern US point here in Point Barrow, Alaska where I am the only collector of old comics. There are no roads to or from Barrow and therefore all my selling and buying is done via mail order which is pricey.

I've worked hard to acquire my current collection but everything I have is for sale at the right price. I'm not a dealer trying to gouge buyers,, I'm simply a collector selling comics at a reasonable markup in order to buy the titles I like the most. Those would be Flash Comics and most pre 1949 DC Golden Age CGC certified comics. sign-rantpost.gif

Two words: LARGE SCANS ! Pick up on it! makepoint.gif

Well, I dunno...Alaska's supposed to be good climate for comic preservation, no? Ernie Gerber says so in the photojournal, at least. Still, if I bought from this guy and got screwed on the book I don't think I'd go mushing about on a dogsled to catch up with the dude...

I don't know about that, but I do know this; It's a great place to store Ice Cream bars! devil.gif

acclaim.gif

Hi Grimstarman. Welcome to the boards! It is true, and it happened. Here is the feedback I am talking about:

Hahaha, now this is a joke.

I won an All Hero Comics #1 in 6.0 from a guy in Florida. I sent him a check because he did not want to accept Paypal. After 8-14 days he emailed he had not received my payment and I asked him to wait a bit longer in the event it got hung up in the mail. He called me a liar and demanded another payment toot-sweet. I told him if it did not arrive in another week. I would pay with another check or Paypal if he would accept that form of payment.

He informed me that my check would never arrive because he did not believe I sent it. I did send the check so his comments were offensive. I finally talked him into taking my 2nd payment via Paypal. He required I pay about 15% extra to do this which was lame but I did it anyway. He then emailed me that he wanted another Paypal payment of $25.00 or he would not ship my book protected in a box with padding. He demanded I make this payment because he would not insure the item otherwise even though I paid for shipping/insurance already. I said I would not pay anymore than I had at this point and he said he would mail the item to me only if he felt like it.

I could stand no more, I contacted Paypal and they cancelled my payment. I also did a stop payment on my first check fearing he had it and would cash it as well.

I don't know if this is your friend but I would face him in the ring any day. He sent me a ton of foul emails after this. I foolishly replied to some. He is on my list as someone I hope to meet one day.

sign-offtopic.gif

I have stayed in the King Eider several times. It is the best place in Barrow. I am not sure if we ever met, but when I stayed there the Sweats were still managing the Eider. Dave also owned the place my friend Brett lived in.

Dave & Doreen still own the King Eider but they moved out of state. My wife and I have managed the hotel for them since September 1st, 1998. Six plus years in Barrow is a long time but we hope to last another four more years.

Regards

sign-offtopic.gif

And if anyone on the Boards wants the e-mails that were sent, just PM me.

They can get ALL OF them NOT JUST SOME OF THEM from me as well. The sellers Ebay id is "thespectre" and I highly recommend some counselling for him. Your defense of this pervert raises a lot of questions regarding your negative postings.

I have never bought books on ebay and refused to pay the seller first, EVER. My ebay id is Grimstarman and I welcome those who believe this dribble to give my Ebay Feedback a gander to verify. I have never bounced a check in my life. The seller claimed he never received my check (IMO: a lie) then he retaliates with a vindictive feedback claiming I bounced a check which is nonsense. Anyone calling a seller with a 99.7 positive feedback (out of nearly 2000 positives) a LOSER in a feedback forum needs a reality check.

For what its worth the feedback for ebay seller "thespectre" is fairly telling. I'm surprised he has only received 3% in negative feedbacks so far with all the problems he has caused unfortunate buyers.

foreheadslap.gif

I ignored your earlier comment, but you seem to want to continue this argument, so I will oblige.

My friend tells a completely different story, with you calling him and making threatening comments (similar to you stating that you would like to meet him at a show someday). He said you kinda bugged out when he wouldn't send the book on approval, and acted pretty strange.

My friend tells a completely different story, with you calling him and making threatening comments (similar to you stating that you would like to meet him at a show someday). He said you kinda bugged out when he wouldn't send the book on approval, and acted pretty strange.

Your friend is without a doubt a liar.

And yes, I do hope to meet him one day.

screwy.gif

Yeah, Grimstarman just listed a ton of Golden Age on eBay, sometimes two and three copies of the same issue(Flash #16 & #92, etc.). He's got a Thrilling Comics #1 9.2 that looks nice, but I misplaced that 5K in disposable income that I had laying around.

Did you ever locate that 5K in disposable income that you had laying around?[/i]

Today I'm listing this very item and many more on Ebay all day long!

Do a Ebay seller search for Grimstarman later this afternoon after 9PM EST to view all my listings.

Brian

takeit.gif