• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone hit the BIN on this book...please!

40 posts in this topic

Yeah, Grimstarman just listed a ton of Golden Age on eBay, sometimes two and three copies of the same issue(Flash #16 & #92, etc.). He's got a Thrilling Comics #1 9.2 that looks nice, but I misplaced that 5K in disposable income that I had laying around.

Yep..lots of nice books by that seller, many high grade beauties too. Of course, he has had many of the same books up for sale for well over a year now. The fact that they don't sell, even when reasonably priced, does not bode well IMHO for golden age. Of course, that's a topic for a different thread.

Well, yes and no. That's a 1942 Whiz comic, and there hasn't been much demand for Fawcetts for quite a while. I've assembled a collection of Whiz 1-15 over the past few years, taking my time and picking up the grades I want, and I've been amazed at how relatively easy and affordable its been (compared to my efforts to collect Centaurs or King Comics 1-10 or early All-Americans or pre-Batman Detectives).

If I wanted a Whiz 34, I'd pay probably around $180-$210 for a copy in 7.5-8.0 condition. If I couldn't find one in that grade for that price, I'd wait. A "Fine" copy sold on eBay last year for under $85, and just 3 months ago a "Fine-" copy sold on eBay for $69 (both were uncertified, which partially explains the discount, but still...).

His $475 asking price is fair for the book in 9.2, but its clearly a buyer's market for WWII Fawcetts (with the exception of a few Raboy covers).

The Flash #33 he has listed was mine. I sold it off ComicLink(to him, I assume) just a few weeks ago, for a couple of hundred less than he's asking on eBay, and I made money on the book. So yes, in several instances his prices are a bit high.

The Flash #33 he has listed was mine. I sold it off ComicLink (to him, I assume) just a few weeks ago, for a couple of hundred less than he's asking on eBay.

Oof, flipping GA books. That's a tough way to make a living. If you tried it I bet you'd have a lot of dollars tied up in inventory for a lot longer than you anticipated.

I dunno that the fact that this guy has had these books listed and relisted for quite some time is necessarily the sign of a dismal GA market. Most of the books this seller has are not keys, and anything GA in fine or greater condition is usually not "cheap." I think you have to look at the books for their individual merits. Nobody would say that the bronze age is in a bad way because highgrade copies of Devil Dinosaur are collecting dust on seller's shelves.

Though I do agree with Centaur, flipping GA (with some few, very important exceptions) does seem like an unnecessarily difficult way to make a buck.

Ahh...grimstarman. This guy, from what I've noticed, just buys CGC graded golden age books and adds 10% or so to the cost and tries to resell them. I noticed that Zip #5 9.4 was up forever on comiclink for about $300 less. Same with that Top-Notch #5. Best of luck to him - I've seen large comic dealers do the same thing.

This is the seller that I made I big off ebay buy from a few months ago. I bought several Big CGC books from him. I got an o k price from him but considering how long he had them up on ebay I should have done better. I did fill some major wants on my list of grails, but the seller was very hard to deal with. he clearly makes money by buying and flipping Golden age books mostly CGC'd. Attached is one of the Keys I got from him.

640583-bigallamerican.jpg.2cba1b1bab4dfd7f2de1a33aafd3d428.jpg

I would be very careful in dealing with this guy. A friend of mine sold him a book about four months ago. He asked that my friend send him the book before he paid for it so he could assess it (it was CGC'd). My friend said no. That started a chain of nasty e-mails and threatening calls. It finally got kind of resolved with negative feedbacks flying.

Well, I dunno...Alaska's supposed to be good climate for comic preservation, no? Ernie Gerber says so in the photojournal, at least. Still, if I bought from this guy and got screwed on the book I don't think I'd go mushing about on a dogsled to catch up with the dude...

I bought from "Grim" about a Year+ ago...He was "Kind of" tough to deal with, BUT he did make me a Good Deal...he's arrogant though in My opinion...took him forever to ship my book. Has a Fantastic collection of books , and his "personal" collection is probably mind-blowing.

Just to be clear, and I think you got it--I was not referring to the seller in any way, but rather the location.

After spending 14 years in Alaska, and doing several business related trips to Barrow with extended stays.....it just seemed to me to not be a place where I would want to store, ship or receive any of my comics.

After shipping millions and millions of pounds of things to Barrow through every possible way imaginable--barge, plane, rolligon, and the temperature extremes between the PO and the outside air.......It is kind of scary.

One example is this--I get home after work in Anchorage, and find a Priority box on my doorstep. It is cold outside. Excitedly, I take the box in and rip it open to see my latest slab acquisition. Imagine the horror to see condensate start to show on the slab........Zero to seventy degrees in one minute......

Also there is the deal of trans-loading the mail several times from plane to plane. There is more PO handling of packages to remote locations.

I don't know--perhaps I am the only one who feels this way, but Barrow is both remote and extreme in every way imaginable.

I'm amazed that this book (the Crowely Pedigree copy) did not sell when priced at about guide value and I'm the seller. I will likely not list anymore Golden Age on Ebay until the day after Christmas. Ebay usually runs a free listing day on or about December 26th which I like to take adavantage of.

I am GrimStarman: I generally do okay with my sales on ebay and who ever called me arrogant has likely not done any business with me. I have over 5000 completed sales on ebay and my nearly 2000 feedback is 99.65% positive last I checked.

I tend to list items on Ebay when I find I have overspent (via credit card) on new Golden Age acquisitions and then it is usually only when Ebay offers half price or free listings. I think a reason I don't sell more is that by listing so many items it gives bidders the impression that these items are not as scarce for some reason. Or perhaps if too much is on the menu the buyers simply don't place an order.

A recent poster said I had multiple copies of Flash Comics up for sale like that is a bad thing. I have 3 CGC certifed copies of Flash Comics #16 and #20 in my collection but how does that make them any less common? The most recent CGC census notes that a mere 6 unrestored copies of #16 and only 3 copies of #20 have been certified. It appears I own the ownly certified copies of Flash #20 and half the known copies of #16.

I'm a collector not a dealer but I do buy and sell comics on a regular basis. I always buy more than I sell and what I do SELL is marked up 10-15% so I can afford to continue buying my favorites like Flash Comics. If I mark something up higher then that it is likely an item I don't truly wish to part with. As a collector I pay a lot more for items than many would expect. A strong reason for this is because I live in an Eskimo village at the most northern US point here in Point Barrow, Alaska where I am the only collector of old comics. There are no roads to or from Barrow and therefore all my selling and buying is done via mail order which is pricey.

I've worked hard to acquire my current collection but everything I have is for sale at the right price. I'm not a dealer trying to gouge buyers,, I'm simply a collector selling comics at a reasonable markup in order to buy the titles I like the most. Those would be Flash Comics and most pre 1949 DC Golden Age CGC certified comics. sign-rantpost.gif