• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Constant Problems Buying Comics Online

29 posts in this topic

Oh, and a bit of advice: sellers who use the term "unread" or "uncirculated" or "bagged and never read", etc are generally talking out of their . Those auctions are not only misleading, they usually get bid up by flounders, and go way beyond the value of the books.

I actually like Ebay for the most part, but I try to cruise feedback to see if people are happy with grading. If there isn't a mention of grading on the first page of feedback, I assume that it might be half a grade lower from their description. I've gotten tons of great books on Ebay, and every 4 or 5 shipments, I end up with an undergraded bonus. Ebay is great, but you have to study your sellers a little bit, too.

Not sure if this fits in with your comment about flounders -- but I have an item on eBay right now that is simply getting way more bidding wise than it is probably worth.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261402513161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2765

take a look and tell me this isn't about a 5 or 6 dollar book.Or am I missing something?

Five copies of Ms. Marvel #1 in "uncirculated" VF/NM condition for $385. Five $40-50 books MAX for 1/3 over what they are worth in the best of times - I mean, can you believe that? That was last week. This happens often (not all the time, mind you), and key issues that turn up with lots of action most of the time have the "uncirculated" description in them. Yeah, key issues will get more action, but to pay nearly 2X FMV to buy in bulk doesn't make sense - even on Ebay. Even if you're speculating on Ms. Marvel (which I am), you can buy VF/NM copies for less than $50 shipped frequently.

As far as your item, you're not saying it's "unread" or "uncirculated" or anything like that. You have a big scan, it presents it's condition and looks like a well-described listing. Why it's being bid up? I have no idea - but you're not soliciting it as something it's not, so that's a good thing. (thumbs u

thanks

I personally tend to conservatively grade my items to avoid disappointing a buyer. If it is a higher dollar (note that my world of higher dollar is vastly different than most people on here)-- i usually submit it to a grade it board to get a reasonable range.

yeah-- I guess I was just kind of amazed that this book is gett about 3.5 times what my guide is saying it should. So I was asking if this book is suddenly blowing up. I think Kav has it right in that it's just two guys battling.

Buying comics on Amazon is a 100% gamble.

Buying comics on Ebay is about a 50% gamble.

Buying comics on the Boards here is about a 20% gamble.

If you are like me (with only one comic shop within 400 miles) then, you just have to grab the ol' ankles and roll the dice by buying online and hoping it arrives undamaged. Some weeks you take the end out of sellers and get some of your money back. Some weeks you just don't give a mess and don't say anything. It's the trials and tribulations of buying online.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up.

I have yet to buy a comic on Amazon that was packed even decently I avoid them like the plague.

Buying comics on Amazon is a 100% gamble.

Buying comics on Ebay is about a 50% gamble.

Buying comics on the Boards here is about a 20% gamble.

If you are like me (with only one comic shop within 400 miles) then, you just have to grab the ol' ankles and roll the dice by buying online and hoping it arrives undamaged. Some weeks you take the end out of sellers and get some of your money back. Some weeks you just don't give a mess and don't say anything. It's the trials and tribulations of buying online.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up.

I have yet to buy a comic on Amazon that was packed even decently I avoid them like the plague.

I bought on Amazon once - spent about $25 from three "dealers" from description only (no pictures) and ended up with a lot of junk that I'm pretty sure I didn't break even on. I don't buy comics from Amazon anymore.

I always read the feedbacks on ebay of people I'm buying a comic from and look in the feedback messages for things like "bomb proof shipping" "books look as good as grade given or even better" stuff like that.

If I see multiple feedbacks that include those items, I usually feel confident buying. Make a smaller purchase if possible to test them out.

Oh, and a bit of advice: sellers who use the term "unread" or "uncirculated" or "bagged and never read", etc are generally talking out of their . Those auctions are not only misleading, they usually get bid up by flounders, and go way beyond the value of the books.

I actually like Ebay for the most part, but I try to cruise feedback to see if people are happy with grading. If there isn't a mention of grading on the first page of feedback, I assume that it might be half a grade lower from their description. I've gotten tons of great books on Ebay, and every 4 or 5 shipments, I end up with an undergraded bonus. Ebay is great, but you have to study your sellers a little bit, too.

Not sure if this fits in with your comment about flounders -- but I have an item on eBay right now that is simply getting way more bidding wise than it is probably worth.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261402513161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2765

take a look and tell me this isn't about a 5 or 6 dollar book.Or am I missing something?

Five copies of Ms. Marvel #1 in "uncirculated" VF/NM condition for $385. Five $40-50 books MAX for 1/3 over what they are worth in the best of times - I mean, can you believe that? That was last week. This happens often (not all the time, mind you), and key issues that turn up with lots of action most of the time have the "uncirculated" description in them. Yeah, key issues will get more action, but to pay nearly 2X FMV to buy in bulk doesn't make sense - even on Ebay. Even if you're speculating on Ms. Marvel (which I am), you can buy VF/NM copies for less than $50 shipped frequently.

As far as your item, you're not saying it's "unread" or "uncirculated" or anything like that. You have a big scan, it presents it's condition and looks like a well-described listing. Why it's being bid up? I have no idea - but you're not soliciting it as something it's not, so that's a good thing. (thumbs u

thanks

I personally tend to conservatively grade my items to avoid disappointing a buyer. If it is a higher dollar (note that my world of higher dollar is vastly different than most people on here)-- i usually submit it to a grade it board to get a reasonable range.

yeah-- I guess I was just kind of amazed that this book is gett about 3.5 times what my guide is saying it should. So I was asking if this book is suddenly blowing up. I think Kav has it right in that it's just two guys battling.

That's right - all you need is two guys battling it out. Plus: Lilith and Satana are underrated Bronze Age hotties.

what's the deal with moderns?

Everyone trashes them because they think they are worthless and ubiquitous...which they are.

But high-grade moderns (9.8) can be tough to find when most of the books have been abused in quarter-bins over the years.

here's a real winner - lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-1-Apr-1964-Marvel-No-cover-Complete-Coverless-Comic-/231166536286?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d2996a5e

Daredevil #1 (Apr 1964, Marvel) No cover Complete Coverless Comic

Marvel Comics Daredevil #1 The Man without Fear

Comic has no cover, 1st page detached, has a tear and a couple chunks missing.

The rest of the comic is complete held by staples, 1/4 inch tear at bottom of comic thru all pages.

Pages are brown, has some creasing, I am selling this as is.

Overall condition Poor. Still a really cool comic for display if you don't want to pay huge dollars for a nice one.

1 day handling, 2-3 day Priority Shipping Thanks

you would think they would at least include free shipping

Everyone trashes them because they think they are worthless and ubiquitous...which they are.

The major problem with current Moderns (and virtually all comics from 1990-up) is that the market is comprised of 100% adults, so the only way to make any money is with a quick flip, luck and a lot of experience.

Holding these things for any period of time (other than anomalies like TWD) is a losing proposition because most people who want one already have one, and no one is going to grow up and suddenly want to "buy back their youth" - today's comic buyer is 30-50 already. doh!