• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Constant Problems Buying Comics Online

29 posts in this topic

I seem to have had a string of bad luck (or maybe bad judgment) lately with the condition of the comics I have ordered online and wanted to get the opinion of the community about what you normally do in this situation where you got a good deal but things turn out to be not quite as described.

I will start this off by saying that in my general life I don't ever complain about anything But for the 6th time (at least) in 2 months I have received an order where the comics are not even close to the the condition they were described and it's starting to get to me, Here is a few examples.

Man Of Steel 18 off Amazon Listed as "New" $20, Seller ships is in an envelope, No cardboard, No board in the sleeve, Naturally this comes bent (not terrible) but turns out to be a 5th print, So still somewhat desirable, Fairly low cost, So I let it go

Walking Dead #20-29 $220 Listed VF/NM Or Better, 27 specifically listed as NM+ ....Comics come well packed but half have some form of color breaking spine stress including #27, Knowing where the problem area is, I can just make it out in sellers picture, I mention it to the seller and am given the option to send it back for a refund at my own shipping expense, I just let it go.

Lot of 330 Horror Comics (includes Walking Dead #19) $360 Listed as Mint Never Read, Bagged & boarded and stored away since release, Comics come well packed but many have spine stress the worst being WD #19, This is very disappointing considering this is almost the entire reason for purchasing, No response from seller, As a whole it was a good deal and if I file a complaint Ebay will take the entire amount from him and I'm not a A-Hole so I let it go

Lot Of Batman Adventures $90 Listed as reader copies, Comes so poorly packed that I can't even process it, there has to be 2 cubic feet of free space in the box and absolutely no packing material, Comics are literally folded in half.... I complain, Seller refund entire amount and tells me to keep comics, I do not accept it and resend 60% of the money back to the seller, I do not feel I am deserving of 100% back, These were listed as readers and most can still be read.

Which brings me to today, I'm a little fed up at this point

DC Comics Presents almost complete set $60, Only 20 of the 100+ books are pictured so I admit there is some risk, But the 20 pictured appear to be in great shape.... Arrives poorly packaged and 80% of the books are pretty beat up, Keys look even worse with the exception of #47 it is probably VF/VF+ Again as a whole I feel like this was a decent deal but it is not what was described, I found myself to be pretty mad about this one.

Am I the only one having this much trouble? How do you handle this situation? I've never left a negative feedback in my life, Every time I send a message to a seller I feel like I am over reacting an being a pain in the ..... I have no local shops so anything I want I have to buy online, What do you do?

Buying comics on Amazon is a 100% gamble.

Buying comics on Ebay is about a 50% gamble.

Buying comics on the Boards here is about a 20% gamble.

If you are like me (with only one comic shop within 400 miles) then, you just have to grab the ol' ankles and roll the dice by buying online and hoping it arrives undamaged. Some weeks you take the end out of sellers and get some of your money back. Some weeks you just don't give a mess and don't say anything. It's the trials and tribulations of buying online.

Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, et al...are going to be spotty (at best).

Try an online dealer like My Comics Shop. I'm sure others can point you in the right direction for newer books.

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Mile High. Although they probably have some of those books as well. But their grading isn't consistent.

Well I would have to say that the MOS #18 5th print is a blessing in disguise. If I bought an MOS #18 and got the 5th print instead, I'd buy every auction on Ebay :cloud9:

As for the other stuff, it seems a lot of the problems have arisen from the fact you have been from buying in lots. Don't worry about snagging a deal or a steal. Just find a very reputable seller and buy the WD #19 that there are large scans of. If condition matters to you, then just find a quality version of the key book you are truly seeking.

These lots and sellers you are buying seem to be a crapshoot at best.

Jim

Buying raw comics that have some level of hot-ness and are worth a premium in high grade off ebay rarely works out well.

Ebay is great for buying raw readers from the Bronze, Copper and Modern ages, but as others have said high grade hopes at best are winners 1 out of 4 times (at best).

Its a small sample size, and you didnt mention, did you have other purchases in the same time frame that WEREN'T busts? Or are you batting 1.000 in ebay purchases?

Exactly, if condition matters, then buy from sources who also value condition, like certain dealers and well-respected sellers on here.

The only time I buy raw on eBay is when the value is so incredibly high to make it worth the chance even if they arrived semi-trashed.

Oh yeah, and STAY AWAY FROM MODERNS! :makepoint:

Oh, and a bit of advice: sellers who use the term "unread" or "uncirculated" or "bagged and never read", etc are generally talking out of their . Those auctions are not only misleading, they usually get bid up by flounders, and go way beyond the value of the books.

I actually like Ebay for the most part, but I try to cruise feedback to see if people are happy with grading. If there isn't a mention of grading on the first page of feedback, I assume that it might be half a grade lower from their description. I've gotten tons of great books on Ebay, and every 4 or 5 shipments, I end up with an undergraded bonus. Ebay is great, but you have to study your sellers a little bit, too.

yeah I dont collect em. unless its just something I want to read. what about stuff like sex criminals-is it some kind of bubble or is it worth getting?

I seem to have had a string of bad luck (or maybe bad judgment) lately with the condition of the comics I have ordered online...

If condition trumps bargain hunting you'll need a reliable source with both depth of stock and a reputation for grading as strict or stricter than CGC. First name that comes to mind is Doug Sulipa.

Web site

eBay Store

Send a wantlist and sample his pricing, grading and service. See what you think. And you can swing over to Golden Age forum and check out their sticky-list of back issue dealers.

That's some good advice guys ... Thank you! I will say I am on the cheap side and in buying in lots I am trying to score a good deal, Ideally I would like to sell what I don't want in the lot and end up with a (practically) free book, This is not working out lol, I am at about 75% bad results, I have had 2 go well that that I will share... I am especially happy with the Batman lot, A lot of these are going to CGC.

TMNT Lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111263919858?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Batman Lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Lot-of-BATMAN-comics-Mint-Near-Mint-Condition-/321299126897?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=P1vBwbLq57mXJpVloV2iiqKyTPM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

A lot of what I buy is in auction form so the price isn't always a red flag, I will check out some of the other places all of you have suggested... Thanks again!

yeah I've done that-bought a lot of fantasy masterpieces-pulled the 2 FN++ sold em then sold the 5 midgrade and made $10 plus got to keep issue 1, 2, 3....

Oh, and a bit of advice: sellers who use the term "unread" or "uncirculated" or "bagged and never read", etc are generally talking out of their . Those auctions are not only misleading, they usually get bid up by flounders, and go way beyond the value of the books.

I actually like Ebay for the most part, but I try to cruise feedback to see if people are happy with grading. If there isn't a mention of grading on the first page of feedback, I assume that it might be half a grade lower from their description. I've gotten tons of great books on Ebay, and every 4 or 5 shipments, I end up with an undergraded bonus. Ebay is great, but you have to study your sellers a little bit, too.

Not sure if this fits in with your comment about flounders -- but I have an item on eBay right now that is simply getting way more bidding wise than it is probably worth.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261402513161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2765

take a look and tell me this isn't about a 5 or 6 dollar book.Or am I missing something?

yeah I've done that-bought a lot of fantasy masterpieces-pulled the 2 FN++ sold em then sold the 5 midgrade and made $10 plus got to keep issue 1, 2, 3....

It's awesome when you can do this! I have had great luck doing it with toys but comics just aren't going my way right now. :(

It's awesome when you can do this! I have had great luck doing it with toys but comics just aren't going my way right now. :(

when i buy lots inevitably some of the issues are in really great shape so i pull em out for resale listing 'looks like 9.4' and they seem to do well and buyers ecstatic...

Not sure if this fits in with your comment about flounders -- but I have an item on eBay right now that is simply getting way more bidding wise than it is probably worth.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=261402513161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2765

take a look and tell me this isn't about a 5 or 6 dollar book.Or am I missing something?

Five copies of Ms. Marvel #1 in "uncirculated" VF/NM condition for $385. Five $40-50 books MAX for 1/3 over what they are worth in the best of times - I mean, can you believe that? That was last week. This happens often (not all the time, mind you), and key issues that turn up with lots of action most of the time have the "uncirculated" description in them. Yeah, key issues will get more action, but to pay nearly 2X FMV to buy in bulk doesn't make sense - even on Ebay. Even if you're speculating on Ms. Marvel (which I am), you can buy VF/NM copies for less than $50 shipped frequently.

As far as your item, you're not saying it's "unread" or "uncirculated" or anything like that. You have a big scan, it presents it's condition and looks like a well-described listing. Why it's being bid up? I have no idea - but you're not soliciting it as something it's not, so that's a good thing. (thumbs u