• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Reality of Dream Books

43 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by saying it's going to be a vent thread...

With lots of bemoaning, musings, emotions and stuff...

So if that's not your thing, turn back now. ;)

I've been a little depressed lately. Probably has a little something to do with this:

Where Dreams Go to Die ;)

For some time, I've been wondering about the reality of my dream books/grails, and I'm starting to get the feeling I've set the bar too high.

Maybe it was that I built myself up to think that I ever even had a shot. Sure, I never really expected to win it, but I also never expected bidding to eclipse 5k within the first hour. That was my top bid. And I know what most of you are thinking. Really? Did he really think he stood a shot at only 5k?

And I agree. I was probably being ridiculously naive. But I figured I'd hold for a little while and give myself the illusion. At least for a few days, maybe a week.

But here we are, with 14 days left to go, staring down the barrel of a 1.0 Action #13 with brittle pages that is more than likely going to eclipse 10k. Probably more. And to me that's scary. A 1.0 sells in 2007 for a mere $2424, and seven years later it's a $10,000 to $15,000 book?

So as much as I love it (on par with 'Tec #31 -- another book showing astronomical inflation-- for my favorite cover ever) I basically scratch it off the top of my list. I like to dream and wax poetic as much as the next guy, but I'm aware of my reality. I'm a middle class guy with a family who probably isn't winning the lottery any time soon. So I start to wonder if maybe Action #23 shouldn't sit at the top of my grails instead (since Action #13 and 'Tec #31 are clearly not going to happen in this lifetime)?

Then this evening I click on Ebay and see this:

You've Got to Be Kidding Me

19 bids for $5000 in the first day. On a 3.0 Action #23. Seriously? If this is legit, it basically destroys guide and GPA.

So I don't know. Talk me off the ledge guys/gals. :cry: Sure, it's early Supes... but can the market really handle this kind of inflation? Will it soften as older collectors leave the market? Will it ever soften? Will I ever stand a chance with books like this on my budget? And should I even try?

I feel your pain. I wish I kept my Action 13.

There is still Action 15, 17, and 20

Sups 2-5, 14 are nice books also.

That's the thing though, Rip. They're nice books, but they're not Action #13... or 'Tec #31.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own all of them, but the predicament I'm in is whether I should or have to lower my standards to spare myself the agony and avoid driving myself insane?

both books are really cool my friend and you should be proud that at least your taste in funny books is quite sweet!!!! the most important thing you said there is FAMILY!!! a wise man once said, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!!" well maybe he wasn't wise and probably high as a kite but he is rich and famous lol you sound like a responsible man who wants to take care of his family first...that's awesome :applause: a lot of us middle guys get priced out of these top grails but heck keep searching and be patient.... I too am looking for an action 23 and was amazed at how quick that shot up!! also keep exploring the GA man there are so many books that are so cool it isn't even funny!!! maybe think about commissioning someone to do you a few huge covers that is always cool too!!! I promise once you frame it up and hang it on the wall you won't regret it!!! TEC #31 possibly :idea: your friends that don't appreciate comics as much as you will even think that is bad arse...just gotta run it past family...errr...wife first hahaha (thumbs u good luck and happy hunting dude!!! your copies are out there...maybe not today...but if you keep saving and you need to have it!! you just may land it sooner than you think!!

Can you sell some other books and come up with the cash?

Sometimes its hard, but it gets easier over time.

I've made my peace with that copy, to be honest, Rip. I could if I wanted to own only 1 book lol , but I'm not going to. I'm not going spend 10k+ on a book with brittle pages.

...the predicament I'm in is whether I should or have to lower my standards...

I have to agree with Gino on this -- there are SOOO many great books out there. I don't think it has anything to do with lowering standards. Consider it tastes changing/evolving over time. Not "lowering".

both books are really cool my friend and you should be proud that at least your taste in funny books is quite sweet!!!! the most important thing you said there is FAMILY!!! a wise man once said, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!!" well maybe he wasn't wise and probably high as a kite but he is rich and famous lol you sound like a responsible man who wants to take care of his family first...that's awesome :applause: a lot of us middle guys get priced out of these top grails but heck keep searching and be patient.... I too am looking for an action 23 and was amazed at how quick that shot up!! also keep exploring the GA man there are so many books that are so cool it isn't even funny!!! maybe think about commissioning someone to do you a few huge covers that is always cool too!!! I promise once you frame it up and hang it on the wall you won't regret it!!! TEC #31 possibly :idea: your friends that don't appreciate comics as much as you will even think that is bad arse...just gotta run it past family...errr...wife first hahaha (thumbs u good luck and happy hunting dude!!! your copies are out there...maybe not today...but if you keep saving and you need to have it!! you just may land it sooner than you think!!

Thanks for the cheer up! Love the AA #61 and 'Tec #73 in your sig line! (thumbs u

I know I can never compete on most books I really want, so I'm happy with incomplete, coverless, table scraps. :)

And you've done a darn good job of it, my friend! (thumbs u

I used to have partial or coverless copies of All Star #8, More Fun #55 and #73 among others. Never should have sold them.

19 bids for $5000 in the first day. On a 3.0 Action #23. Seriously? If this is legit, it basically destroys guide and GPA.

Looks like an aberration to me. Seems like a $2500-$3000 copy. I could understand it if someone thought it was upgradable, but based on the label notes, that's highly unlikely.

Look at the bid history of that item. Something seems very strange about it.

One bidder has bid 7 times in a row taking the bid from $2000 to $5000 and has up his own bid? I didn't think this was possible.

Current bid is at $100.

Bidder #1 bids $5000.

Bidder #2 bids $500, then $600, then $700, etc.

I feel your pain. I wish I kept my Action 13.

There is still Action 15, 17, and 20

Sups 2-5, 14 are nice books also.

That's the thing though, Rip. They're nice books, but they're not Action #13... or 'Tec #31.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own all of them, but the predicament I'm in is whether I should or have to lower my standards to spare myself the agony and avoid driving myself insane?

I know just what you mean, as we collect similar DC titles (and at a similar price point). I guess I've had more time to make peace with it, but for me, Action #13 and Tec #31 are off the table, period, and I can live with that. Both books are that perfect storm of demand and scarcity such that the prices are not coming down any time soon. So, yeah, not exactly a pep talk but I'd suggest moving on and not beating yourself up. Still tons of other cool books out there.