• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blu Planet Comics in Long Island, New York goes off the deep end.

218 posts in this topic

9pJnag9.png

This one is awesome.

What a total arse. Boggles my mind that he can stay in business with his charming personality.

we'll see if he stays in business after this debacle

Unfortunately it is Stanley....this has been a surreal experience. What's crazy to me is that this guy has, in my opinion, broken probably about a dozen privacy laws, and yet he hasn't been arrested.

I don't want to get more involved..I just want my money back.

If I had more time and I was a bit more vindictive I would press appropriate charges and file appropriate police reports...but I just want my money back and I want to move on with my life.

i tried to research if that was actually illegal but couldn't come up with anything.

I did stumble across this amusing story:

This has to be one of the more outrageous examples. When David Voelkert was friended by Jessica Studebaker on Facebook, he knew the profile was fabricated by his ex-wife Angela. She created the profile in an effort to garner incriminating evidence against him in a child custody battle. Voelkert told the fake Studebaker that he had placed a GPS tracking device in his ex-wife's car so that he could track her and eventually kill her. Angela brought the evidence to the police, who swiftly arrested Voelkert. However, Voelkert had gotten a notarized affidavit that read:

"I am lying to this person [Jessica Studebaker] to gain positive proof that it is indeed my ex-wife trying to again tamper in my life. In no way do I have plans to leave with my children or do any harm to Angela Dawn Voelkert or anyone else."

He was immediately set free.

Blu_Planet_2.jpg

That's some more of that famous Blu customer service!

Wow. You know, for a few seconds I was wondering if the mob mentality was going a little overboard on this. Yes, a scam is a scam, but sometimes I think that *everyone* weighing in when they have not experienced the situation isn't the right thing to do.

Then I read something like this krap, and I realize that Blu Comics - in all their incredibly ignorant unprofessionalism - is deserving of the lambasting they are getting.

There is nothing I hate more in this industry than shop owners who think that selling a comic book to a customer entitles them to dictate, suggest or assume what that customer does with it, and when that customer doesn't adhere to what they want, they feel slighted about it.

Wow, a friend of mine told me some serious was going down yet again with them. Believe all the stories fellas. The guys at Blu are really nice at first but if god forbid you get on their bad side, watch out. It literally could be the color of your shirt. There's just no telling what could set them off on you.

wow i googled BPC and theres quite a few more negative hits! including this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T8ZAvTAG5PM

also, his website used to have a contact form-he has disabled it.

looks like he's hunkering down.

here's hoping wizards of the coast and diamond stop distributing to this tool

details please

The most amazing thing is that he'll treat long time customers like garbage just the same as a first timer. It just depends on what you say anywhere in the vicinity of him or his coworkers. Literally anything can make you public enemy #1.

I've known him for years and how he runs the store has gotten worse. There is always an excuse for something, always. It's never his fault and he'll fight for hell or high water to try and make you believe you're the problem. He doesn't open the store when the hours are posted at the location or online all the time. It seems like it's just when he wants to.

If you're local and want others stores to go to, they're everywhere and most are really good with nice owners.

Stinky's Comics is right down Sunrise Hwy a little more.

Phoenix Comics has a huge back issue area. It's cramped but it's literally the entire store.

Best Comics is another with everything new and a lot of back issues.

Fourth World Comics I like the best on Long Island

Collectors Kingdom also has an immense back issue area to look through.

Blu_Planet_2.jpg

That's some more of that famous Blu customer service!

Wow. You know, for a few seconds I was wondering if the mob mentality was going a little overboard on this. Yes, a scam is a scam, but sometimes I think that *everyone* weighing in when they have not experienced the situation isn't the right thing to do.

Then I read something like this krap, and I realize that Blu Comics - in all their incredibly ignorant unprofessionalism - is deserving of the lambasting they are getting.

There is nothing I hate more in this industry than shop owners who think that selling a comic book to a customer entitles them to dictate, suggest or assume what that customer does with it, and when it doesn't adhere to what they want, they feel slighted about it.

Someone needs to put together a 101 video on customer service for people running comic shops. I don't think I've ever encountered an industry with less customer service than comics.

Gun shops. People with specialty knowledge like this can be serious individual_without_enough_empathys to people that they deem as unworthy. I was once in a a gunship when someone that was interested in but obviously new to firearms, asked the owner what a good 'starter' gun would be. He thought it was funny to tell him 'Desert Eagle'... his cronies thought it was hilarious and the potential customer was completely confused about why everyone was laughing. TOTAL individual_without_enough_empathy that probably lost a customer. The customer may not have known why people where laughing but he certainly knew the joke was at his expense.

You see the same on these boards all-the-time. Someone new will ask a perfectly legitimate question and a bunch of people that have NOTHING better to do, instead of answering it... think they are hilarious and post endless .

It`s called Breaking Balls.

It`s like if your a newbie at a new job you will encounter some employees who will test you.

They want to see what your made of.

Also it seems to be a western male rite of passage.

I went to play a poker with a bunch of my friends I haven`t seen in a long time, and they busted each others balls all night. Insult after Insult.

lol

I lost a lot of faith in Yelp over this. They seem to only care about positive reviews.

I have a funny feeling that those really good reviews for him are just their friends or associates. I guess it's somewhat possible that they had a good experience there but they would literally have to visit once and never again to retain that thought or feeling. :whee:

Hi Bill,

We wanted to let you know that we've removed your review of Blu Planet Comics & Games. Our Support team has determined that it falls outside our Content Guidelines (http://www.yelp.com/guidelines) because it relies on or contains secondhand information.

We hope you will continue to participate on Yelp while keeping our Content Guidelines in mind.

Removed Content:

The owners of this store ripped off a friend for $1,000 and opened up a Reddit account strictly to put the guy down. When I called to ask about it, I was cursed at and called a word I didn't think people used after fourth grade.

Regards,

Mikaela

Yelp User Support

San Francisco, California

Yelp Official Blog | http://officialblog.yelp.com

Yelp Frequently Asked Questions | http://www.yelp.com/faq

Yelp for Business Owners | https://biz.yelp.com

Screw them and their horse.

yelp did the same thing to me then when i messaged them about it and said google reviews doesnt do that they deleted my account. yelp rocks.

details please

The most amazing thing is that he'll treat long time customers like garbage just the same as a first timer. It just depends on what you say anywhere in the vicinity of him or his coworkers. Literally anything can make you public enemy #1.

I've known him for years and how he runs the store has gotten worse. There is always an excuse for something, always. It's never his fault and he'll fight for hell or high water to try and make you believe you're the problem. He doesn't open the store when the hours are posted at the location or online all the time. It seems like it's just when he wants to.

If you're local and want others stores to go to, they're everywhere and most are really good with nice owners.

Phoenix Comics has a huge back issue area. It's cramped but it's literally the entire store.

do you have any input on the supposed 'death in family' and if thats a fake?

details please

do you have any input on the supposed 'death in family' and if thats a fake?

I don't but from what my friends and I have experienced in the past is that he definitely is often not truthful. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was just a story to garner some sympathy on what was going down but it's possibly true.

Really any kind of story would be perfectly acceptable providing it was delivered with some sort of intelligence. The comments he comes up with to describe his feelings towards you are simply unbelievable for a "business man" to say.

The store itself is not terrible really at all providing you speak to no one and you don't mind:

- It possibly not being open when it should be

- Not having any new comics for the week because UPS screwed up his delivery yet again

- Trying to buy a raw book at cover price because it isn't labeled only to find out that its got a special price

Summation :facepalm: