• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Fury #7 Trimmed?

19 posts in this topic

I think this is the right forum :wishluck:

I'm not looking for a grade but I am unsure if this book has undergone some tomfoolery. I've seen some weird Nick Fury #7's before but this one just looks fishy - especially on the back cover. The back cover appears to be smaller than the inside pages at the top and at the bottom left of the back cover it curves a little.

Here's a couple scans. Maybe I'm overthinking this - which would be nice - and it's just a bad wrap and cut. Another experienced collector has also expressed concern that it has been trimmed and he's good at spotting stuff like this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

M

nick7.jpg

nick7a.jpg

nick7b.jpg

nick7c.jpg

I've little to no qualifications on this, though I do observe that the front cover art's border runs at an angle along the spine, crossing over front to back, instead of running straight up and down the spine. Besides the weird wrap, that's a very pretty comic of a very cool cover. Steranko Dali swipe, yum!

Although its hard to be definitive from a scan, I really don't like that major curve the back cover has between the spine and the outer edge. There are bad cuts out there, but the majority are at least straight and whenever a book slopes that much, it raises some definite red flags.

Check out the image, that's a serious slope and is not anything to do with a miswrap.

145216.jpg.791faca11b8bf10f843e2e2d7b2e85fa.jpg

IMO it's been trimmed... I'm by no means an authority on restoration this is purely speculation. Compared to this copy posted below your missing a portion of the bottom... I hope I'm wrong?

!CDM,GOQBGk~$(KGrHqF,!jME0DTYQSf+BNNvz8lPU!~~_3.JPG

Check out the top, though. Especially on the top left above the white Marvel Comics Group slug. There is a lot more space above than on your scan.

Without seeing the book in hand I vote for not trimmed.

Although its hard to be definitive from a scan, I really don't like that major curve the back cover has between the spine and the outer edge. There are bad cuts out there, but the majority are at least straight and whenever a book slopes that much, it raises some definite red flags.

Check out the image, that's a serious slope and is not anything to do with a miswrap.

I agree. The bottom left back corner is also suspicious. An uncomfortable book. (shrug)

nick7b.jpg

nick7c.jpg

Obviously it's not professionally trimmed, but that back cover looks like a kid took a pair of scissors to it.

I spent years in 4-color pre-press and hundreds of hours at print shops to okay/correct the stock, registration, color, trimming etc.

Some of the eff-ups I have seen make this look like it should hang in the Louvre.

Things CAN shift in a guillotine cutter.

"Obviously it's not professionally trimmed, but that back cover looks like a kid took a pair of scissors to it."

I agree. The bottom left back corner is also suspicious. An uncomfortable book. (shrug)

nick7b.jpg

nick7c.jpg

+1

Yeah, just a tough, tough book. I've decided that I'm going to make it a Raffle Prize in my upcoming thread and point people here to take a look at what everyone thinks.

Regardless of whether it is trimmed or not I don't think that anyone will complain about getting it for free. THANKS EVERYONE! (worship)