• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CL auction...

125 posts in this topic

Are these auctions truly no reserve? About a year ago a Catman #1 9.2 that had been in Worldwide's inventory for months sold in a CL auction for $4,100 right after it was listed as "Sale Pending" on the WW site. Then the record of it disappeared from the CL site within a few days, even though "sale pending" items usually stay up for months. I wrote to Josh for an explanation shortly after the book disappeared from the site, but I never got one. (He said he was on vacation but would look into it.)

Several months later, the book was sold by Ritter to a board member. It seems unlikely to me that Ritter would have somehow ended up with the book again if the sale were legit; it looks more like the sale did not take place. ($4,100 was a bargain price for the book, so it seems unlikely that the buyer would have backed out.)

To make a long story short, I take "no reserve" with a grain of salt.

Indeed, an interesting observation and probably a simple explanation. I'd imagine that Stephen decided to place the book with the Clink auction, listed it on his site as "Sale Pending", then returned it to inventory some time after the auction due to a non-paying bidder. If this is the case, $4100 would've been an incredible bargain for the delinquent bidder, because the new owner isn't nearly so generous in pricing high-grade GA. lol

Worldwide lists books with Heritage and CLink fairly often. He then lists them as sold on his site for whatever price they sold at.

Pretty strong results on the Canadian Whites thus far....

(thumbs u

True! I was interested in the Better #6 because I liked the cover, but I had no idea how to value it. I didn't think it was a 4-figure book, so I just stayed away once I saw that the bidding was over $700. The grade was also a little low compared to what I usually go after; my hope is that the strong price will entice a few higher-graded copies out of the woodwork.

Are these auctions truly no reserve? About a year ago a Catman #1 9.2 that had been in Worldwide's inventory for months sold in a CL auction for $4,100 right after it was listed as "Sale Pending" on the WW site. Then the record of it disappeared from the CL site within a few days, even though "sale pending" items usually stay up for months. I wrote to Josh for an explanation shortly after the book disappeared from the site, but I never got one. (He said he was on vacation but would look into it.)

Several months later, the book was sold by Ritter to a board member. It seems unlikely to me that Ritter would have somehow ended up with the book again if the sale were legit; it looks more like the sale did not take place. ($4,100 was a bargain price for the book, so it seems unlikely that the buyer would have backed out.)

Indeed, an interesting observation and probably a simple explanation. I'd imagine that Stephen decided to place the book with the Clink auction, listed it on his site as "Sale Pending", then returned it to inventory some time after the auction due to a non-paying bidder. If this is the case, $4100 would've been an incredible bargain for the delinquent bidder, because the new owner isn't nearly so generous in pricing high-grade GA. lol

Worldwide lists books with Heritage and CLink fairly often. He then lists them as sold on his site for whatever price they sold at.

That works for me. ;)

The bargain price is what gave me pause. I thought, "Who in the heck would renege on that good of a deal?" It made me wonder whether it was a shill bidding situation. (This was the auction that ended on 12/3/2012, and I believe Matt Nelson was still involved with Worldwide at that time; I understand Ritter has a reputation for being honest to a fault.) I passed on the Catman 1 so I could bid on the Catman 31 (which I did purchase). My #31 moved to the for sale section almost immediately with the "sale pending" notation, maybe because I checked out right away, but the #1 didn't show up there for a few days. Then, about a day later, it was gone completely. Although Ritter obviously returned the book to inventory, I never saw it offered on the WW website again (which is not to say that I didn't miss it). After the auction, it continued to show up as "sold" at the original (pre-auction) asking price (something over $7K).

The bargain price is what gave me pause. I thought, "Who in the heck would renege on that good of a deal?" It made me wonder whether it was a shill bidding situation. (This was the auction that ended on 12/3/2012, and I believe Matt Nelson was still involved with Worldwide at that time; I understand Ritter has a reputation for being honest to a fault.) I passed on the Catman 1 so I could bid on the Catman 31 (which I did purchase). My #31 moved to the for sale section almost immediately with the "sale pending" notation, maybe because I checked out right away, but the #1 didn't show up there for a few days. Then, about a day later, it was gone completely. Although Ritter obviously returned the book to inventory, I never saw it offered on the WW website again (which is not to say that I didn't miss it). After the auction, it continued to show up as "sold" at the original (pre-auction) asking price (something over $7K).

It is indeed a beautiful book... :cloud9:

85de21f4-0a09-4786-8540-4d35d65c13e1_zpsdf2ba1aa.jpg

It made me wonder whether it was a shill bidding situation. (This was the auction that ended on 12/3/2012, and I believe Matt Nelson was still involved with Worldwide at that time; I understand Ritter has a reputation for being honest to a fault.)

Yep. Must be Matt's fault.

It is indeed a beautiful book... :cloud9:

85de21f4-0a09-4786-8540-4d35d65c13e1_zpsdf2ba1aa.jpg

It is indeed!

Two GREAT covers. (thumbs u

Personally I would go with one GREAT cover and one Joker cover. Joker building a brick wall is a little... i dunno?... boring? Somehow not great in my mind though!

I still like the book, but in the back of my head I hear Billy slagging DCs when I bid on books like this! :D

Personally I would go with one GREAT cover and one Joker cover. Joker building a brick wall is a little... i dunno?... boring? Somehow not great in my mind though!

I still like the book, but in the back of my head I hear Billy slagging DCs when I bid on books like this! :D

I like all the Joker covers that have a large image of him.

I like all the Joker covers that have a large image of him.

Haha, me too. It's always seemed like such a major shame that he isn't on the cover of his first appearance and his first cover appearance he is a tiny figure that's barely recognizable as the Joker.