• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the bubble hurst on Hulk 181?

46 posts in this topic

I would love to wait for an X-Men 1 in CGC 4.0 - but right now it is out of my price bracket (and since it is likely to increase in value, by the time I can justify the price of a 4.0 I won't be able to). I am more in the 1.8 - 2.5 range and there is a nice local 2.0 copy for sale for a good price.

With respect to the Hulk 181 there is a local 8.0 and an 8.5 (about $175 difference between the two) that I am considering.

I would say that Wolverine is probably my favorite character of all time, while the X-Men were my favorite series/regular book that I purchased. So again extremely tough choice between these two for me. I liked it better when I had only found a good copy of IH181 to purchase :)

Given IH181's quicker increase in price of late, I'd be wanting to pick it up before the more stable XM1. I, like you, have always had Wolverine as my favorite single character, and X-Men as my favorite team. I went for IH181 first.

Fair enough - I assumed this would be the answer.

I am just deciding on whether to purchase a copy of IH181 in 8.0 or a copy of X-Men 1 in 2.0 as my next book. I am having a hard time deciding between the two and was hoping I could be convinced that pricing on IH181 will not continue to increase (thus allowing me to hold off on the IH181 purchase).

I haven't looked at X-men 1 pricing lately, but think it's been relatively stable (i.e. no huge spikes up or down). Both are solid choices, but if it were me, I would buy the Hulk 181 or at minimum look for a higher grade copy of X-Men 1 instead (4.0. or higher). As far as it comparing to other SA keys, there's a lot of supply out there. Sure there are lots of copies of Hulk 181 available, but as mentioned by others in this thread, the demand is also there.

Bottom line, you should buy the book that excites you more as a collector.

Best of luck with your decision!

2c

Curious to see why he should invest in a 4.0 xmen? Is it because mid grades have a better roi than low grade copies?

I did some analysis a while ago and ROIs on books between 0.5 to ~5.0 were very similar. Historically for most Silver mega keys, and it did vary depending on book, the best ROI on a buy and hold strategy was in the FN+ to VF range.

I am just deciding on whether to purchase a copy of IH181 in 8.0 or a copy of X-Men 1 in 2.0 as my next book.

Isn't the best deal for a Hulk 181 a CGC 8,5?

If it still holds true, I'd recommend one of those, well-centered and with white pages. Wait for the right one to pop up, as supply is high enough to be picky.

Agreed and being patient :headbang:

I am just deciding on whether to purchase a copy of IH181 in 8.0 or a copy of X-Men 1 in 2.0 as my next book. I am having a hard time deciding between the two and was hoping I could be convinced that pricing on IH181 will not continue to increase (thus allowing me to hold off on the IH181 purchase).

I haven't looked at X-men 1 pricing lately, but think it's been relatively stable (i.e. no huge spikes up or down). Both are solid choices, but if it were me, I would buy the Hulk 181 or at minimum look for a higher grade copy of X-Men 1 instead (4.0. or higher). As far as it comparing to other SA keys, there's a lot of supply out there. Sure there are lots of copies of Hulk 181 available, but as mentioned by others in this thread, the demand is also there.

2c

Curious to see why he should invest in a 4.0 xmen? Is it because mid grades have a better roi than low grade copies?

I did some analysis a while ago and ROIs on books between 0.5 to ~5.0 were very similar. Historically for most Silver mega keys, and it did vary depending on book, the best ROI on a buy and hold strategy was in the FN+ to VF range.

Very interesting

2c

Very interesting

+1 hm

I would get that X-men #1...only because I've seen some recent bargains on it in low grade. Thing is...if you have a grand to spend, you can ONLY buy a low grade X-men 1, or you can buy any number of Hulk 181s. If it were me, I'd buy the X-men 1 first...then look for the 181.

I'm not biased, I have both of each in similar grades.

OH, and FWIW, I set up at a local show over the weekend. I didn't have my X-men #1 on display, but I did have my Hulk 181 with me. It was the number one book that drew the most attention...especially from young (and broke) collectors. I think it has many years of growth ahead because it is very desireable to the next generation of "heavy" collectors.

I would get that X-men #1...only because I've seen some recent bargains on it in low grade. Thing is...if you have a grand to spend, you can ONLY buy a low grade X-men 1, or you can buy any number of Hulk 181s. If it were me, I'd buy the X-men 1 first...then look for the 181.

OH, and FWIW, I set up at a local show over the weekend. I didn't have my X-men #1 on display, but I did have my Hulk 181 with me. It was the number one book that drew the most attention...especially from young (and broke) collectors. I think it has many years of growth ahead because it is very desireable to the next generation of "heavy" collectors.

These two statement do not match up.

Agreed. It would suggest that one should get the Hulk 181!

Sure they do. I'm saying that an opportunity to get an affordable X-men #1 doesn't come along as often as the opportunity to get a IH181 in a VF or NM grade. And X-men #1 is temporarily soft. But I'm also saying that Hulk 181 is good for the long term. All of these statements can be true at the same time.

Sure they do. I'm saying that an opportunity to get an affordable X-men #1 doesn't come along as often as the opportunity to get a IH181 in a VF or NM grade. And X-men #1 is temporarily soft. But I'm also saying that Hulk 181 is good for the long term. All of these statements can be true at the same time.

Huh?

Seriously?

A is rarer than B

A is soft right now

B is good to have long term.

One statement is about rarity. One statement is about current demand. One statement is about future demand.

Which of these conflict?

With my dollars, in my pursuit of key books, if there is a book that I can only afford in low grade, and is seldom available in low grade, I will try to buy it when offered. Especially when the market for it is temporarily soft Because I can always save more money and always buy a higher grade IH181 at a later date, but an opportunity to buy a copy of X1 in a grade that I can afford won't come along very often.

About a year and a half ago, someone on the forums offered a Hulk #1 in Fair for around $800. I almost bought it. I did have that much money available. Wish I had bought it, because there has been no situation since then that I was able to get one where I could afford it. But since that time, I've seen a ton of $800 copies of IH181. And interestingly, despite how common the IH181s are, I think they have a good future because the college kids lust after them.

One more example for fun. About 10 years ago, I had a friend at my job who enjoyed comics as much as I do. He and I talked very seriously about each putting up about $30K apiece to buy a Action #1 in Good. We discussed it for over a month, even down to the tiny details of where we'd each get the money. But we ended up not doing it. Why, oh why, didn't we do that?

Buying decisions should be a function of their repeatability (will you see it again?), the long-term performance of the item considered, and the short-term demand for that item (can you get a typically hot item cheap right now?). After weighing all of those, you make a decision. To not consider one aspect of either of those elements will lead to an uninformed decision.

Steve

I still think demand outweighs supply.

Look at ASM #300 or NM #98.

My opinion, anyways.

your opinion is nearly a fact. The demand is only going up and up on ASM300 with his own movie announced

GPA prices are sky high and it is the most CGC'ed book of all time

Looks to be the same on Hulk the demand is more than supply

I've been under the impression for years that Hulk181 was a great book to own from a fan standpoint, but a horrible book to own from an investment standpoint.

BUT I just checked the GPA stats and to my surprise it is once again a good investment comic. 181 has had great upward movement in just about every grade except 9.6 where the trend has been basically flat for the last 5 years, and 9.8 where the trend has been downward for the last 5 years but has recently stabilized (looks to be a price correction).

Even 9.4 has shown a slow but steady increase over the last few years.

I might have to go buy me some 181s.