• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your one big regret that still bites you in the *ahem* spoon?

100 posts in this topic

I sold a couple books on the boards that I kinda regret. Sold my 9.0 Iron Man 55 and Batman 251 that I graded at 8.5/9.0. The buyer had the Batman slabbed and it came back 9.6 :facepalm:

Back in the 80s, I had the chance to buy the cover to a 40 cent Thor. I think it was a Pollard/Layton cover. The price was $40. I passed :cry:

Sticking a VG+ Black Cat 33 back in the box, and having it freakishly slide into the mylar holding a NM file copy of Black Cat Mystery #50, putting a small tear and crease in the top. The BCM #50 later slabbed at 8.0 when I decided to sell it. It was still a sweet copy, but it pained me every time I looked at it.

Having to choose between AF 15 and FF #1 in 1986. MY LCS had both to offer. Both had "Marvel Chipping" and would be about a G/VG. Both were priced at $350.

I chose FF #1 which I ended up selling twenty years later.

Had I chose AF 15, I would likely have kept that issue.

Buying a bunch of books in 2000 instead of major keys !

Change the year to 2002-03, and I would say this is probably the big one for me. Bought a lot of pretty cool books, but should've bought just a few keys instead.

Having to move back home after our restaurant failed in NYC.

-slym

NYC is a cruel mistress. I had to move back home after a failed business venture in NYC back in 2009. Took a few years to get back up again, and life is good - but I'll always miss the city.

If you can make it there

You'll make it anywhere!

It's up to you

New York, New York!!!

Where was your restaurant Slym? That's a tough biz, especially around here.

Brooklyn, on Flatbush near Prospect Park. We didn't fail due to lack of customers, it was bad decisions with financial partners that put us down.

It really sucked to have to leave, I was making it on my own and planned on being there at least 10 years.

-slym

What does regret mean?

Well, the funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something that you haven't done.

And by the way, If you see your mom this weekend, will you be sure and tell her...

Having to move back home after our restaurant failed in NYC.

-slym

NYC is a cruel mistress. I had to move back home after a failed business venture in NYC back in 2009. Took a few years to get back up again, and life is good - but I'll always miss the city.

If you can make it there

You'll make it anywhere!

It's up to you

New York, New York!!!

Where was your restaurant Slym? That's a tough biz, especially around here.

Brooklyn, on Flatbush near Prospect Park. We didn't fail due to lack of customers, it was bad decisions with financial partners that put us down.

It really sucked to have to leave, I was making it on my own and planned on being there at least 10 years.

-slym

I was a waiter/bartender for years, and I have attended several "going out of business" parties. The common denominator? A bad partner that treated the bar like their personal watering hole, or put half the profits up their nose, or used the business to launder money from their "side work".

Sucks that it didn't work out for you, mrs. JAM and I still daydream about opening a bar/restaurant one of these days :cloud9: . When it works, it seems like a great way to make a living.