• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your one big regret that still bites you in the *ahem* spoon?

100 posts in this topic

Selling my X-men 141 and 142 (CGC 9.6s I think) a few months before the news broke about "Days of Futures Past" being the basis for the next movie.

and then watching the books quadruple...(or more)

other than that no big regrets. I sold some GA Sci-Fi back in my first year of collecting that I probably wish I still had, but the money went to pay for other books I enjoyed, and then I sold them to get back into GA Sci-Fi, so it all came back around....

Dude, your collection was amazing. Just to have been able to admire that in the past I'm all (worship)

Yeah that collection was by far one of the most superior "pure collections" I had ever laid my steamy little eyes on.

DAMN.

Being the first person to get a 9.6 Avengers 55 in 2002, and then selling it for $250.

Passing on an low grade X-Men #1 condition that Keith Conterino first offered to me for $300, but at that time that amount was like $30,000 to me. So I said thanks, but that's too rich for me. He then asked "well what could you go on it" and I replied $90 and he said "sold". But I knew he could easily get the $300 from someone else, so I thanked him and sent it back. Keith may have had his problems later on in life, but when I think of him, that and his Overstreet reports are what I will remember.

Seeing TWD #1 the day it came out and told myself, nope, stick to my list.

Same for ultimate spidery #1 and Batman #1 New 52.

So screw my list. I buys what I likes dammit!

Non-comic related, wasting so much time before going to college.

Had a chance to pick up this restored VF/NM AF 15 copy a few years ago in the $2000/2500 range...passed for reasons/circumstances at the time...knew the minute the opportunity passed I'd most likely regret if for the rest of my life... :tonofbricks:

AMAZINGFANTASY15A90_zpse011cc46.jpg

Had a chance to pick up this restored VF/NM AF 15 copy a few years ago in the $2000/2500 range...passed for reasons/circumstances at the time...knew the minute the opportunity passed I'd most likely regret if for the rest of my life... :tonofbricks:

AMAZINGFANTASY15A90_zpse011cc46.jpg

:o The one that got away.

Having the option of buying an Amazing Fantasy #15 for stupid low money.

Even worse, there were 2!

Even worse still, both were in the same household.

$#$#$*#($#*$(#*($

Pat

P.S. - Oh yeah, I passed on some MIB grail toys from the same household. No joke, the guy had the sweetest comic and toy collection I've ever seen and it wasn't even very big.

1) I sold two nice copies of Dime Press #4 that I wanted to slab but was too lazy. Guy who bought them got them graded and e-mailed the results (9.4 & 9.6). I got $200 for the pair. He sold them for $3500.

Unless you're talking about sales that didn't register in GPA, the top prices ever recorded for those two books would be $2,500 combined... over 5 years ago... not $3,500.

Currently, you can get both for about $600 total.

Unless you had the opportunity to make that $2,500... you'd be holding $600 in books. Actually less, because yours were raw. CGC grading would have cost you.

Instead you got $200 over 5 years ago.

Just tell yourself you invested that $200 into more than $600 of stuff in today's value and this won't be your #1 regret. (thumbs u

Speaking of missing out: Just out of high school, I had a chance to by a fully operational 1969 Super Bee big block 4-speed car for $2500 (in 1992). I passed it up because I didn't want to take a loan out and have a $100 a month car payment for two years.

Granted, there would be no way that I would ever still have the car, or have hung onto it long enough to realize the 10-20x valuation of it - but I still regret not buying it to be able to tell people I actually owned a very valuable car.

"Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today, yesterday, and tomorrow." ~ after Robert J. Hastings

So true. I have very few regrets in life, but the ones I've got, I really try to learn about them - so when similar scenarios come up, I can look at them and figure out if it will be a regret if I pass it up, or something I can live with watching it go by based on my past experiences...

from a collecting point of view - when I was much younger (late 70s, early 80s) collected a ton of great books. Got tired of collecting - sold all.

Was not a careful collector -- no bags/boards for the majority (hey - I was a kid) - so at the time not a lot of value.

Should of kept them - even as 4.0-5.0 today, would be very worthwhile collection.

About 10 years ago, a co-worker's brother passed away and left my co-worker with a giant suitcase full of comics. My co-worker didn't know anything about them so I offered to go through to determine if he had anything valuable.

I cannot remember everything in there but I do remember him having Avengers #1, 3-5, and X-Men #12. He said I could keep some, but I rushed in and quickly sold them all on ebay. I think I ended up getting $900 on Avengers #1 and it was in great condition.

Now I wished I had held on to them and it hurts every time I think about it.

Leaving the comics that my dad passed on to me in the parental house, only to have my younger brother, who took over my old room, throw them all in the trash.. Mostly Marvel, pretty much full runs of CA Spidey's and X-Men.. Only found out they were gone a couple of years later when I asked another of my brothers about it, cause I thought he was holding them for me..