• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another editorial on the art market

4 posts in this topic

Great Article, thanks for posting.

A few quotes that seem applicable to comic collecting as well.

"These days, collecting has become a form of entertainment and a competitive blood sport, where the quest for access has replaced the desire for aesthetic, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual nourishment. And so, naturally, the things that are the hardest to access have become the most valued (there is the old horse being pulled along again)."

another quote - just change "art" for "Comic"

"To art collectors I say: Think for yourselves. Art collecting is a personal journey, not a social exercise. There is no such thing as a bad acquisition, if the motives and desires that lead to it are genuine. Support your local art communities, as there is likely a lot going on that is worthy of your support."

Great Article, thanks for posting.

A few quotes that seem applicable to comic collecting as well.

"These days, collecting has become a form of entertainment and a competitive blood sport, where the quest for access has replaced the desire for aesthetic, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual nourishment. And so, naturally, the things that are the hardest to access have become the most valued (there is the old horse being pulled along again)."

What struck me was the part about the prices being charged for mid-career artists going up the roof. You see this all the time at conventions.

Last night, I shared a note with my friends after finding an artist's commission rate for an upcoming show. This guy had drawn a few one-shots and just landed a gig with one of the Big Two. For 9"x12", the price was $300 for 1 character. And get this: "All sketches will be personalized." :tonofbricks: