• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can someone tell me whats going on here?!

91 posts in this topic

Faded, and I could see grading it a VG if the book was otherwise strong. Clearly some buyers won't touch a book like this for any price, but to others, it's just a honking big defect.

I love that we are having a pretty good debate about this subject and the noob OP is not posting a scan or picture of the back cover (or even coming back into the thread that he started) for all the people interested in this subject. :mad:

That comic was left in a store front window for a very long time. My old LCS used to do that. I have no idea what CGC would grade that comic. I would never buy it. Personally I would give it a poor. :sumo:

.... if it were a printing error, the yellow would be much more brilliant.As was mentioned earlier..... black and blue are the last to go...... yellow goes shortly after Magenta..... take note of the difference in tone of the yellow shadowing around Surfer's Logo from one copy to the other..... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ok here's a pretty nice but opaque explanation of what has occurred here...

Now, if you imagine a red image in a sign, which is made using cyan, magenta and yellow dyes, the red colour is formed by a mixture of yellow and magenta dyes. The white light falls onto the mixture and the yellow dye absorbs all the blue light. Similarly the magenta absorbs all the green light, and so the remaining light – red is the only light reflected back to your eye. If you see the red fading – i.e. your eye is seeing other colours coming back reflected from the image area that is supposed to be red this is because the yellow or the magenta or both are themselves fading and failing to fully absorb the blue and green light.

Now it is usually the case in photography that the magenta and yellow dyes in colour prints fade faster than the cyan. You may have noticed that photographs faded in shop windows go cyan in colour – this is why. Remember cyan is the opposite of red – so the red is fading fastest, just as your observation stated. This is because the yellow and magenta dyes are more susceptible to oxidative fade induced when light reacts within the dye layer to produce oxygen radicals which tend to react with the dye and bleach it – destroy the part of the molecule which absorbs the light to give the dye its colour. Cyan dyes tend to bleach by a reductive process and are actually less stable in dark, hot conditions than are yellow and magenta.

Edited by aman619

I love that we are having a pretty good debate about this subject and the noob OP is not posting a scan or picture of the back cover (or even coming back into the thread that he started) for all the people interested in this subject. :mad:

Which speaks volumes, don't you think? hm

He's too busy starting 5 new threads after this one. :screwy:

Pasted it, too lazy to add the quotes boxes - took me 2 tries to get the bold right!

Aman619 is gettin' his Science on :headbang: GOD BLESS...

Edited by aman619

2guzejt.jpg

np0uwh.jpg

the vg

25kq5mp.jpg

...this proves that it's faded..... the red areas on the back would be the same hue as the front were it a printing snafu ...... GOD BLESS....

What does the back cover look like?

If the back cover looks the same as the front, it's a printing error because you'd be using the same printing plates across both front and rear covers. If the back cover is bright and the front is dull then it's faded.

^^^^^^^ This.

Took us boardees about 30 posts to come up with the logical solution.

It's logical, dear boy. :D

I recall the time I tossed a paperback onto the back window ledge in one of my early rattletrap cars....and forgot about it for the summer. Looked just like that come September.

Red fades pretty fast in direct sunlight, followed closely by yellow. Cyan hangs in there, but eventually even that starts to fade.

Yup, reds go first. Then yellows.