• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for graphic novel rec's for casual comic reader (me!)

28 posts in this topic

The whole Moore run of Saga of Swampthing was amazing. It sort of starts out mid-story, and a friend of mine who read the first TPB said he didn't follow what was going on, but if you stick with it all the characters get explained fairly well and it gets fleshed out.

I just read it tonight for the first time and it is available on the tpb trade site ;)

A lot of great recommendations so far. I'll also throw out Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan: smartest kid on earth (would fall under Miriclemet's Wistful category) and also the supernatural western Sixth Gun.

THis list has been great! THank you all so much! Going to the comic shop at lunch today -

Actually might start with SWAMP THING since I have had that rec'd to me so many times! Then the long list of other comics begins!

(If anyone has reader copies of these graphic novels for sale, PM me please!)

I'd also suggest Powers. The first two stories- both collected in an Ultimate Collection or Definitive Collection- were great! Sure it had super heroes, but it wasn't about them.

DMZ was also an interesting read. It is in production as a show.

THis list has been great! THank you all so much! Going to the comic shop at lunch today -

Actually might start with SWAMP THING since I have had that rec'd to me so many times! Then the long list of other comics begins!

(If anyone has reader copies of these graphic novels for sale, PM me please!)

Go to your local public library. You can borrow most of these major graphic novels for free!