• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Do YOU Collect Sketch Covers?

37 posts in this topic

A genuine question. Just wanted to discuss it with you guys :)

I don't know if it's just me, but as a whole, I think they're dropping in price. I used to see some quite high end sketch covers out there selling quite well, and I myself used to even pay more than I do now for them, but in reality (from a directly commissioned view)... if anything (from my experience) the cost of obtaining sketch covers - as far as artists fees - has risen. Artists seem to charge more money, and that's all well and good, but I've often sold things and ended up given them away, in comparison to the price paid.

I don't have any hard feeling or anything like that – that's not why I'm asking, I expect it from this hobby... but it just got me to thinking, why do I even get stuff on sketch covers anymore? when they're not inexpensive (in my opinion) anymore - of course there are exceptions but I'm talking generally.

Is it because i'm a perfectionist and just want the best product out there - the 9.8 graded CCG authenticated character on it's own titled blank comic book? obey. or is it more than that? I genuinely wonder.

Is it me or is the market struggling? Everybody seems to want to buy things for extremely cheap or just seem to be moving on from sketch covers. I think it doesn't help that there are so many blanks out there now, it just seems like they're over doing it but I know this isn't a new debate really, I'm just interested in hearing peoples opinions.

or am I wrong here? hm

I think to some extent there was a novelty factor in the past that has diminished somewhat. There are a lot of blanks out there, and a lot more artists now are doing sketch covers than did in the past.

A cursory glance around the boards shows there are loads of unpublished, or certainly less well known artists that are knocking out great covers at a fraction of the price of the more famous guys. Someone posted a cover from Neal Adams that they paid over $3k for - only a complete fanatic is going to want to pay that (or be able to afford to, for that matter).

I do like the uniformity of collecting sketches from different artists on the same cover, and of course the CGC authentication is important - but all things being equal, I'd rather have an original commission that's not on a blank, I think.

Conclusion - I don't think the market's struggling. Rather, it's settling down to a more sensible level.

I love sketches but over the last year or so seen a big increase in price. Not so long ago you could get a sketch with CGC SS for around $150 and sometimes even less. Now you can't get them for less then $250.

I don't mind paying the artist for his great work but my wages didn't go up with that kind of %. I have 6 sketches lined up for London. But after that I'll be waiting a long time to add more. Because otherwise both my bank and my wife will be hunting me down...

I've noticed a definite softening of the sketch cover market, which seems to run in direct converse to the rising prices of sketches. It's hard to say why that is. Could be a flooding of the market, the novelty is wearing off, or it might be cyclical and once con season gets really going, buyers will be there again. I do think that as artists increase their prices it is turning some people off from sketches completely. A big Jim Steranko fan might be all jazzed to see the man selling SS sketches at his con table but then when that fan sees a $1000 price tag he becomes discouraged and goes back to buying keys or something.

I've noticed a definite softening of the sketch cover market, which seems to run in direct converse to the rising prices of sketches. It's hard to say why that is. Could be a flooding of the market, the novelty is wearing off, or it might be cyclical and once con season gets really going, buyers will be there again. I do think that as artists increase their prices it is turning some people off from sketches completely. A big Jim Steranko fan might be all jazzed to see the man selling SS sketches at his con table but then when that fan sees a $1000 price tag he becomes discouraged and goes back to buying keys or something.

I was trying to contribute to the show that day by posting the pics, maybe I should not have offered :(

But I agree, I didn't buy any myself

I collect art on blanks because of Signature Series. There's something special about that yellow label and can that takes it to the next level.

If I choose to sell, it's because I'm either tired of the art, looking for an upgrade, or looking for something else.

The market has settled down, I my opinion, because some of the inflated cost.

However, artists are taking notice and are starting to lower their prices.

For me it's a completely personal thing in terms of how it relates to my collection. Presently I own three sketch covers:

1) Chris Giarrusso - Super Skrull on a Secret Invasion blank

Reason: The blank was a bonus with a purchase I made, I've been a fan of Chris G's work since I first saw his stuff and wanted to get a character that related to the story in some way.

2) Neal Adams - Krypto on a Mid-Ohio Con blank

Reason: I'm a huge Krypto fan, huge Adams fan (particularly his HoM & HoS stuff which seem to have a lot of dogs in them) and it's a great neutral blank for sketches.

3) Neal Adams - Ra's Al Ghul on a Dark Avengers blank

Reason: This was the only other blank I had at the time and I didn't want to miss the chance to get a sketch of my favorite character that he helped create and drew.

I'm not opposed to adding more sketches to my collection but sketches aren't the focus of my collection either. If I'm able to get one from an artist whose work I like for $200 or less then I'm all for it. Everyone has their own taste and preference when it comes to sketches and there's lots of really nice ones out there that I appreciate for what they are but there are a lot of cases where I see them offered for prices that, to me at least, just aren't justifiable. I also prefer to get them based on my personal taste of what I want from an artist rather than one that was commissioned by someone else with the intention of flipping it.

When it comes to the secondary market for sketch covers, I think you'll struggle recouping your costs most of the time. That's not something unique to sketch covers, though, I think that goes for any commission. The reason is simpy that a potential buyer will normally, prices being equal, prefer to get a new commission themselves where they can choose all details of the request themselves. I think the only way you're gonna make money or break even when selling a sketch is if the artist has stopped doing sketches, is charging more money now, or if the sketch you have is particularly good, so that the buyer will feel there's a low chance of getting a new sketch that is as good.

As for reasons it may have been easier to sell sketch covers before, I'm guessing it may have to do with the rising artist fees and increased availability through facilitators. Obviously, if you buy a sketch from an artist for $100 and he's charging $200 by the time you want to sell it, chances are good that you'll get your money back or more because you'll be selling for less than a new cover would cost. As for availability, you can pretty much get a sketch from any artist and from any convention from the comfort of your sofa now. Sketch covers may have been harder to come by not too long ago. As I said, though, some of this is guesswork as I have been collecting sketch covers for a relatively short time.

Oh, and to answer the question of why I mostly collect sketch covers as opposed to paper commissions, there are a few reasons.

One is the uniformity aspect mentioned before. Personally I also like the logos on blank covers, they make the finished sketches look like actual variant comic book covers. One-of-a-kind covers made especially for me, no less!

I also like that the CGC slabs are almost like frames so I can easily display some of them and then switch them out if I would like to. If I had a bunch of paper commissions, I wouldn't have the wall space to frame them all, and the idea of having a portfolio folder sat on a bookshelf to pull out from time to time to look at the art doesn't appeal to me.

And of course, sketch cover commissions are usually cheaper than paper commissions, and that doesn't hurt, I guess. I'm sure once I've been able to get commissions from most of the artists I like, I will want to focus more on getting bigger commissions from my top few favorite artists that I can frame and put on my wall. I've already seen that happen many times where board members here that previously collected lots of sketch covers move on to bigger commissions or OA because they've sort of satiated their hunger in one area and move on to another.

It is an extension of the sig series for me, and it is a cheap way to obtain original art. I started doing sketch covers within a couple months of Raph and AlexH and others showing those first Fallen Sons on the Boards.

It is so funny for people to be talking about there being too many blanks because for years, there weren't enough. It seems like people avoid Secret Invasion and Dark Avengers sketches, but those are the tobacco cards of the sketch realm. :)

I have always been about getting the most art for the least money. And also, based upon the creators that I have had access to, trying to get them to do work that really shows off their style and personality. Now we live in the world of the $600 painted head sketch, and I don't do nearly as much as I used to. But there are still guys that give incredible value for the money - Bob Layton, Daryl Banks, Bob McLeod - and it is always fun to pick up sketches from guys that you haven't had access to before.

As has been said since the early days of this part of the hobby - If you love the piece, and you can still make the mortgage payment, then you did it right. I don't think, in the long haul, a lot of the sketch covers will hold the value of the $$ that was put into them, especially if the artists were never mainstream (i.e. Marvel) artists.

I don't anymore. It's always been secondary to my OA interests but the general hassle involved by introducing grading on top of other logistics and having a few ops run 1-2 years and getting nothing back pretty much killed my interest in them. I have a very small number I'll hang on to, but will probably stick to traditional commissions from now on. The only exception is if I am at a con and have an opportunity to do it directly with an artist and get it back -- they certainly are a little different from the norm and still have some appeal.

As HCE mentioned, I do it because anyone with money and wish to save can have a Fantastic Four 1 or Giant Size X-Men 1. For me I get a one of a kind piece of art that no one else owns. Many may want something similar and heck I'm not above saying that was an amazing idea and doing a similar request but for the most part these are one of a kind.

Additionally these for me are easier to showcase than the OA that I own. For the most part I have 8 frames in the man cave and that looks crowded. My sons room which is where most of these are up holds 68 and counting slabs which line his room. I have some where my son can have a comic book room, and I can see these without having to store in a box or portfolio like my OA pieces.

In the words of someone smarter than me, "I collect what I love"

I like collecting sketch covers because I admire the work of an artist. Sometimes, not always, a commission is cheaper than buying a page of art. Splash pages & covers go for a good chunk of change as opposed to a piece that you requested with the details you specified.

I don't have many sketch covers but the ones I do own I love having:

- Capt. America Headshot on CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 Blank by McGuinness &Vines

- Batman & Robin full colors & BG on BATMAN #0 by Jerry Gaylord

- Batman bust on BATMAN #0 by Rob Liefeld

I'm looking to collect as many Batman sketches on Batman Covers (BATMAN #0, Lil Batman #1, Batman/Superman #1) as possible since that's my guy although I wouldn't mind getting a Green Lantern and a Green Arrow from Neal Adams or Mike Grell on the respective Blank Covers.

I don't go in it to make money. That's secondary to me. If that's your goal, enjoy yourself but don't expect it to be big bucks all the time. It's more a fun hobby for me than anything else.

it hasn't even been a year since i officially started collecting and i've already got about 100 different covers from different artists. i think its fun and i kind of look at them like old baseball cards or something. they are cool pieces i can thumb through in a box and just look at and show off to friends. some are a bit more expensive than ive wanted to pay. and i havent always been 100% happy with a piece ive received. but those amazing covers that i have make up for all the bad ones.

I collect sketch covers mainly because some of my favorite OA pieces are either out of my price range or already owned by other green arrow fanatics out there. So instead of getting the OA i chose to get some of my favorite artists doing my favorite character. Once i got a couple i got completely addicted to them. And now my list of artists i like is very large and am slowly knocking that out. And like GODOFTHUNDER said there is something about that yellow SS label that i enjoy having also.

I'm with HCE and a few others for the main reasons I collect them. I actually just started getting these. I own a Freddie Williams II Thor that I bought. But I really wanted to get into having my own requests reflected on a cover by an artist I like.

Having them graded, as mentioned a couple times already, makes it easy to display and protect them. I'm not really in it to sell these. Not saying I won't, but its not part of the plan right now. I just really enjoy having something that is original and was done at my request.

SS Sketch covers are the only CGC books that I collect for myself these days. I have a few regular SS and blue labels, but mainly for investment purposes.

I guess I've noticed some of the big name artists do charge outrageous prices for sketches, but I would rather get a sketch from an talented up and comer. Worst case scenario, I pay a low price for an awesome sketch. Best case scenario, I get a sketch from a famous artist done early in their career that I can re-sell if I ever get in a jam (again, not my intention, but who knows where life takes us?)

I guess I collect graded sketches over OA or whatever else because of the way they look. The CGC case itself is like a frame, the yellow label looks awesome, and the info printed on it answers just about every question that someone would ask about it, haha. Seems like a pretty classy way to go about a fairly geeky hobby.

I found out i could get 11x17 commissions/OA for the same or less, made more sense to me. Have sold all my sketch covers.