• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

106 posts in this topic

Well thanks to this board and hearing many, many times people recommend Alan Moore's Swamp Thing I went to my local library and checked out volume one. They have 6 volumes there....is that the whole Moore run?

Well, I haven't picked up a DC comic in at least 20 years, since high school. Always been a Marvel fan STRICTLY! lol While I was there I grabbed Killing Joke to read since I don't remember reading that since jr high. (Not sure if I liked it then?)

Once I finish volume one of Swamp Thing I will type my opinion out. One question: Who came first Swamp Thing or Man-Thing? I know I could google this just as quick but you guys here on this board are full of great knowledge!!

Well thanks to this board and hearing many, many times people recommend Alan Moore's Swamp Thing I went to my local library and checked out volume one. They have 6 volumes there....is that the whole Moore run?

Well, I haven't picked up a DC comic in at least 20 years, since high school. Always been a Marvel fan STRICTLY! lol While I was there I grabbed Killing Joke to read since I don't remember reading that since jr high. (Not sure if I liked it then?)

Once I finish volume one of Swamp Thing I will type my opinion out. One question: Who came first Swamp Thing or Man-Thing? I know I could google this just as quick but you guys here on this board are full of great knowledge!!

yes it's 6 volumes for the Moore run.

The Heap came first.

Also, in the first printing of book 1 hardcover version, the last page of the first story arc is missing the text that belongs on the page. It was fixed in the softcover version.

It should say "...and meet the sun."

SwampFix.jpg

Man-Thing came out a couple months before Swamp Thing in 1971. Man-Thing first came out in a magazine Savage Tales 1, May 1971.

Swamp Thing in House of Secrets 92, July 1971. Although some could argue Swamp Thing was more a prototype in his first app. His name was Alex Olsen and had other details different.

Another prototype was House of Mystery 195.

The Roots of Swamp Thing collects the original stories, HOUSE OF SECRETS #92, along with SWAMP THING #1-13 by Len Wein (Author) , Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator).

It wasn't bad, but not as good as when Moore took it over.

http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Swamp-Thing-Vol-1/dp/1401232876/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1394118521&sr=8-19&keywords=swamp+thing

Hillman

Following its debut Air Fighters Comics #3 (cover-dated Dec. 1942), the Heap reappeared as a guest character sporadically in that title.[1] With its fourth appearance, in the by-then re-titled Airboy Comics vol. 3, #9 (Oct. 1946), it became the star of a backup feature. That feature continued until the final issue, vol. 10, #4 (May 1953). Other artists associated with Hillman's Heap include Jack Abel, Paul Reinman, and Ernie Schroeder.[2]

Skywald's The Heap #1 (Sept. 1971): A similar but unrelated character. Cover art by Tom Sutton and Jack Abel.

In 1986, Eclipse Comics, having acquired rights to some Hillman characters, began publishing a new Airboy comic with the Heap as a supporting character. The Heap also appeared in the Eclipse title The New Wave, where the creature was considered by some members of that group to be a member. Eclipse Comics went bankrupt and ceased operations in the 1990s. Image Comics purchased the Eclipse assets, including the Heap.[3]

A version of Baron von Emmelman also appears in the novel The Bloody Red Baron, part of the Anno Dracula series by Kim Newman. Here he and the other great pilots of the First World War are vampires, and his monstrous form is the result of experiments to improve his vampiric abilities

Some of my very favorite writing in all of comics came from this Swamp Thing Run....

applicable to the story, to life, to regrets, to missed opportunities....that's some existential mess you got for pocket change.

SwampThing28pg21_zps812b1d92.jpg

comic book confessions; despite what I think/hope is good taste in good comics, I've never liked Moore's Swamp Thing run.

I wasn't a fan when it first came out, mostly because of the hype surrounding it from fans.

As I've gone back to it over the years, and as I've aged, it's taken on a new meaning each time I returned to it.

It took some time to sink in for me.

Some of my very favorite writing in all of comics came from this Swamp Thing Run....

applicable to the story, to life, to regrets, to missed opportunities....that's some existential mess you got for pocket change.

Is that a Shawn McManus page?

comic book confessions; despite what I think/hope is good taste in good comics, I've never liked Moore's Swamp Thing run.

I wasn't a fan when it first came out, mostly because of the hype surrounding it from fans.

As I've gone back to it over the years, and as I've aged, it's taken on a new meaning each time I returned to it.

I've read it a few times too hoping for it to hit with me at some point, but to me it just comes across as Alan Moore's most "hey look at me be a deep and symbolic writier, am I not amazing?" book....

I will say I 100% appreciate the art and think its stunning to look at both in technique and page layout composition.

but for me cant get past the text.

I've read it a few times too hoping for it to hit with me at some point, but to me it just comes across as Alan Moore's most "hey look at me be a deep and symbolic writier, am I not amazing?" book....

I will say I 100% appreciate the art and think its stunning to look at both in technique and page layout composition.

but for me cant get past the text.

:(

YES!

I need Shawn McManus SS like the flowers need the rain.

I talked to him about this artwork, then I bought the page from his brother.

The Heap came first.

1cc2ce10.jpg

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

OBSCURE GOLDEN AGE REFERENCE!

YES!

I've got a McManus Sandman page. :cloud9:

YES!

I've got a McManus Sandman page. :cloud9:

He's really good. Underrated as well.

About a year after I picked up this page I was lucky enough to spot a page consecutive to it online and grabbed it.